VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fyy wrote:

It's now faster than her new computer. I reckon it was only "slow" before because she was limping along on the same XP install for YEARS.

Also XP with only 512MB of RAM, and probably a video card that didn't help much with youtube (a HD 48xx should help).

Reply 41 of 44, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah the RDRAM nonsense was a big mistake. I guess Intel thought it would be worthwhile after a few years of increasing volume reducing prices but that didn't really happen. P4 did need the extra bandwidth to perform acceptably. The alternative was maybe dual channel PC133? But that's not even close to the bandwidth of i850 RDRAM. DDR wasn't quite ready at the time.

Reply 42 of 44, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Yeah the RDRAM nonsense was a big mistake. I guess Intel thought it would be worthwhile after a few years of increasing volume reducing prices but that didn't really happen. P4 did need the extra bandwidth to perform acceptably. The alternative was maybe dual channel PC133? But that's not even close to the bandwidth of i850 RDRAM. DDR wasn't quite ready at the time.

Maybe triple-channel? This might have done the trick, but I guess it would make the chipset a lot more expensive to make.

Reply 43 of 44, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any production chipsets that can actually do multi-channel SDRAM? Or even stuff that just never made it to market?

As far as P4 performance goes - I have an i845 S478 with PC-133 and it's no slouch (and it wasn't in 2001 either). I wouldn't say RDRAM is really "required" for Pentium 4 either - see this review for assorted benchmark examples: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ddr,403-6.html

In a lot of cases the difference is nothing worth getting excited about. Reviewers love to make mountains out of mole-hills though, and RDRAM certainly had its share of hype around 2000-2001. Old myths die hard.