VOGONS

Reply 40 of 162, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Allright! I'll try that!
Meanwhile I have some news. I installed w98se again. This time no serial/parallel ports enabled and no sound card. I'm using nVidia's riva 128zx pci driver 3.37. Windows GUI behaves correctly as I said. Windows screensavers behaves correctly as well.

Direct3D tests: when it runs in software mode I see two times the moving screen issue. In hardware mode it runs perfectly. Directdraw works flawlessly.

3Dmark99: I have less "moving screen" episodes, but they are still there. Demo mode works really better. In benchmark mode I was not able to run it complete because the card freezed in the ten first seconds:

30iby8i.jpg

This is the same behavior as I get with one particular driver (I can't remember which one). I tried running the test another time but at 640x480 and I didn't get that crap. But still some little amount of "moving screen" issue. At number 14 test the system hanged showing a VxD error again. I had to manually reboot.

I checked the card and it seems to be running ridiculously hot. The tiny heatsink burned my finger. Is this ok? I don't think so. I have my case opened right now and the ambient temperature is around 70ºF.

Also I checked every bios setting. I disabled everything related to video card. I don't know what else to try before asking for refund...

Reply 41 of 162, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried adding a fan to the heatsink and or replacing the thermalpaste?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 42 of 162, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ramiro77 wrote:

These look to me like it's having trouble holding both the horizontal and vertical frequencies stable - at the same time.
The possible common denominators are the main GPU chip, the MK2715 chip and/or it's associated crystal (or nearby SMD parts).

The crystal oscillator provides an input clock to the MK2715 which uses multipliers to provide different OP clocks.
The MK2715 chip outputs multiple 'clocks' that are used by the GPU as reference frequencies to control it's own frequency outputs.

If you just want the PC going I would replace the card.
If you are equipped for it and are looking for an electronics project, you just found one.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 43 of 162, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ramiro77 wrote:

I checked the card and it seems to be running ridiculously hot. The tiny heatsink burned my finger. Is this ok?

No, something is wrong, better not use her until the problem is found and fixed.

Reply 44 of 162, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, what a pity. I will ask for refund. I will keep looking for another similar card. I hope this guy isn't another scammer. In that case I will not have another option than trying to repair the card. I have the equipment to do that.
Thank you a lot for beeing so helpful guys!

Reply 45 of 162, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

That's too bad, at least you gave it a second chance 😐

Get a refund and look for another video card, preferably from a different seller. You might get lucky and it's a simple, easy component replacement if you want to try and repair it; if it's the GPU however (and I strongly suspect it is) then it's game over.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 46 of 162, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's the main reason why I want to return the card. I tried almost everything I could and no luck. I suspect this card was overclocked too far and damaged. It's not normal to get so high temperatures within the first ten seconds of 3D gaming/testing/benchmarking/whatever.
It's a real pity. But shit happens. I will keep looking for any decent pci card. Voodoos are ridiculously overpriced here (I saw a Voodoo 5 at u$s 400 😵 😵 😵). Obviously they won't sell anything at those prices jajajaja.

Reply 47 of 162, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a 200MMX, if you want a Voodoo, there is no reason to get anything higher than a Banshee. Honestly even a V1 would be fine. Just get whatever is cheap.

Btw how are Savage4s on slow processorors? Do their drivers have high processor overhead?

Reply 49 of 162, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose the good thing to take away from this is, the VGA card is just a peripheral, the rest of the machine seems to work.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 50 of 162, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PCI voodoos are almost inexistent here. There are only two in our local site for web buying and they are at ridiculous prices. I will keep searching for another 3D capable card.
And yes, my rig works fine with the Trident. No issues at all. 😎

Reply 51 of 162, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ramiro77 wrote:

That's the main reason why I want to return the card. I tried almost everything I could and no luck. I suspect this card was overclocked too far and damaged. It's not normal to get so high temperatures within the first ten seconds of 3D gaming/testing/benchmarking/whatever.
It's a real pity. But shit happens. I will keep looking for any decent pci card. Voodoos are ridiculously overpriced here (I saw a Voodoo 5 at u$s 400 😵 😵 😵). Obviously they won't sell anything at those prices jajajaja.

If V5s sell for such an amount, NV might as well start manufacturing new ones (improved ones! 😁)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 53 of 162, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

If V5s sell for such an amount, NV might as well start manufacturing new ones (improved ones! 😁)

I agree with that.

Would also like to see a socket 370 retro-aimed comeback with improved chipsets that include USB2, USB3, SATA, PCIe, DDR(maybe) and ISA.
The ability to turn cache off and underclock way down (like 20MHz FSB) would be nice too. (A Cel 300A would run at 90MHz.)
The mfr would have to do custom drivers and patches for older OSs but that shouldn't be too hard.
There are still PLENTY of socket 370 chips in the wild to support this.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 54 of 162, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
ramiro77 wrote:

Any technology nvidia thought they could use would have been incorporated into their cards by now and is already obsolete. There would be no point to making a new 3dfx card.

Reply 55 of 162, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
ramiro77 wrote:

Any technology nvidia thought they could use would have been incorporated into their cards by now and is already obsolete. There would be no point to making a new 3dfx card.

Sorry, yes there would.
It would be a product specifically targeted at the retro market. (And not meant for new equipment.)
That was his premise.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-13, 08:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 56 of 162, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Btw how are Savage4s on slow processorors? Do their drivers have high processor overhead?

Don't think so: http://www.anandtech.com/show/402/12
Might be a good choice, those faster ones offer Voodoo2 performance with clearer textures and true colors.

Reply 57 of 162, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
ramiro77 wrote:

Yes there would, money!
If old ones would sell for $400, then there would be market for manufacturing new ones.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 58 of 162, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, money is not good enough. The first 10 would sell for $400. Then the world will be out of people willing to pay $400 and they would have to sell it for $200, but they wouldn't be able do that for long as well. Retro market is too small and you can't sell enough cards to actually make a serious profit. In fact, the moment a huge stock of something decent appears on the market, the prices drop instantly and very low.

A live example: there's a warehouse in Moscow that started selling V2s. They had insane amount of them, NOS, hell knows where they got them. I got mine from there too and they still have around 300. Now you can't expect to sell a V2 for even $10 in Russia, no one will buy it. Same thing with AWE32 CT2760 and several other cool vintage cards.

I think if there appeared a hidden 3dfx factory that had 10 000 boxed Voodoo 6 cards, they would cost less than $100 each.

Reply 59 of 162, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not buying it.

With more modern fab technology and a Chinese builder such a card could be built using a single (or low count) chip solution for less than $50.
As proof there are HD 5450 and GF 8400 that cost $35 and less as new.
A Voodoo 6 should cost less to build. It's older easier tech.