Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 41 of 42, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

I have one of these. What makes it bit strange is that it says 100sv8b, but it actually has 16Kb of cache. Not sure if that is misprint or why it is like that. Both speedsys and cachechk agree that it has 16Kb cache.

486dx4.jpg

Very strange.. I have a very similar CPU; maybe I should try it out and see if I also have the same phenomenon.

AMD-Am486-DX4-100-SV8-B.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 42 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
Very strange.. I have a very similar CPU; maybe I should try it out and see if I also have the same phenomenon. […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote:

I have one of these. What makes it bit strange is that it says 100sv8b, but it actually has 16Kb of cache. Not sure if that is misprint or why it is like that. Both speedsys and cachechk agree that it has 16Kb cache.

486dx4.jpg

Very strange.. I have a very similar CPU; maybe I should try it out and see if I also have the same phenomenon.

AMD-Am486-DX4-100-SV8-B.jpg

If it's not a counterfeit (and chances are it probably isn't, as the print is actually an inferior or slower product instead of a faster one), my guess would be that it was purposefully mislabeled so it could be sold as one, without requiring separate production facilities to produce either chip. I suppose it would've been easier to simply produce a single CPU and label it according to what the market demanded.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!