VOGONS

Reply 40 of 50, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Old servers are nice, but they're space and power hogs. I have the following in stock condition:

Dell PowerEdge 2100/180
Intel RC440LX Server Platform
HP NetServer LH-3
HP NetServer LH-4
HP NetServer E-60
HP NetServer E-800
HP Server tc3100
HP ProLiant ML350 G4p

I had several of these in duplicate in the past, but for space reasons broke up all but one and disposed of the cases. Some of the motherboards are in use in other builds.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 41 of 50, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aries-mu wrote:

Wow fantastic deal!!! We're a team, man!
And we helped the environment!!

Lol
I'm always trying to help the environment, by "recycling" my co-workers and friends old computers for free 😜
e-waste.jpg

Errius wrote:
Old servers are nice, but they're space and power hogs. I have the following in stock condition: […]
Show full quote

Old servers are nice, but they're space and power hogs. I have the following in stock condition:

Dell PowerEdge 2100/180
Intel RC440LX Server Platform
HP NetServer LH-3
HP NetServer LH-4
HP NetServer E-60
HP NetServer E-800
HP Server tc3100
HP ProLiant ML350 G4p

I had several of these in duplicate in the past, but for space reasons broke up all but one and disposed of the cases. Some of the motherboards are in use in other builds.

I would hate to see one of those disposed, but I understand the lack of space problem. I'll keep getting stuff as long as I am able to walk from one end of my computer room to the other end. When I stop having the space, I'll try to find new homes for them.

Reply 42 of 50, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those old machines are nice but way too heavy so unless you can find a local collector to take them they end up recycled.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 44 of 50, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
peido wrote:
Lol I'm always trying to help the environment, by "recycling" my co-workers and friends old computers for free :P https://digiti […]
Show full quote

Lol
I'm always trying to help the environment, by "recycling" my co-workers and friends old computers for free 😜
e-waste.jpg

🤣!!! 😁 😁 😁 😁
Yeah I wouldn't mind either 😜

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 46 of 50, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did about 130km to get the ProSignia 300 and the ProSignia 200 (and several other computers) I've mentioned on my first and second posts in this thread.
I've also done about the same distance to get a Compaq LTE 286 and a Tecra 520 CDT.

EDIT: I did about the same distance for a boxed Sega Saturn controller mk2 and for a boxed PS2 console (I know boxed PS2 consoles are not rare, but I couldn't find any other SCPH-30004 boxed).

Last edited by peido on 2018-08-23, 09:42. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 47 of 50, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does time travel also qualify?
I had to go back to 1995 (in 2017, so a 22 years travel) to prevent myself to sell my old 486, but he (I) needed the cash for the Pentium 60, we got into a fight (I got into a fight with myself), it caused a temporal paradox... long story, suffice it to say, the universe you guys inhabit now is not supposed to exist, you're in an alternative timeline and now you know it!

Reply 48 of 50, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The most I have driven just to collect some computer gear was about 150 miles round trip for some old mac gear (well worth the time).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 49 of 50, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@aries-mu: when time-travelling it's highly recommended to bring your own weapons

I just wish I knew the specs of the computers our family had in the 1990s. I didn't pay any attention to these things before the very late 90s (i.e. when I got on the internet and people began asking me about it)

All know is that in 1994 we got a 100 MHz 80486DX4 Omni-branded (what was this) machine with 16 MB RAM. Don't know video card, mobo or HDD. I have no idea what we had before then, but I think it was a 386 that at some point got one of those 486 overdrive upgrades. I vaguely remember a Connor hard drive with 120 MB but don't know which computer it belonged to. I would be happy just to know what this stuff was and find photographs of the machines.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 50 of 50, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

@aries-mu: when time-travelling it's highly recommended to bring your own weapons

Right! Hey but wait a second! If I used a weapon against myself in the past... I'd have caused another big temporal paradox....