VOGONS

L2 cache and 386 performance

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 42, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since I don't seem to have many cache related bios options in that 386 I built. I am not sure if adding more 20ns cache or buying 15ns cache would actually improve performance. It is meant to be just a normal pc normal people would have in early 90s and not some super high performance 386. At first I was even considering going with basic trident card instead of the ET4000AX card that I did put there.

Reply 41 of 42, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-05, 08:10:

At first I was even considering going with basic trident card instead of the ET4000AX card that I did put there.

Don't, the slow Trident cards are so slow that they cripple not only a DX/33 but even slower machines. The fast model is OK of course.

Reply 42 of 42, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2020-02-03, 18:18:
If you can increase the cache size without increasing the cache memory waits, your system will be a tiny bit faster. […]
Show full quote
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-02-03, 16:53:

I have a 386DX-33 machine with 64k cache, is it worth it to upgrade to 128k?

If you can increase the cache size without increasing the cache memory waits, your system will be a tiny bit faster.

If you have to increase the cache memory waits to keep the system stable after increasing the cache size, you will likely have made your system a little slower.

But for the "Worth It" part, this is retro computing. Your return on investment isn't likely tied that closely to performance.

I...don't know if increasing cache would do that, I don't currently know what motherboard this 386 machine uses.