VOGONS

Reply 4020 of 27625, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spent all day mapping out the SQ2500 Vortex 2 for an upcoming capacitor overhaul:

hLOADrcl.jpg

It's a pretty big bunch of caps and this was my first time, but it was actually fun for the most part.

Last edited by firage on 2016-07-03, 13:46. Edited 1 time in total.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4021 of 27625, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Pripyat too.... Man... The list goes on and on. […]
Show full quote

Pripyat too.... Man... The list goes on and on.

Anyway.
Went to the toyshop today and bought two presents for my son. Totally retro, yet nothing to do with computers.
He is goig to get pokemon bedsheets and a pokemon figure. He just loves that shit.

The difference is that Pripyat was not a weather phenomenon.
The only part that the weather was playing was the direction of the spreading of further nuclear particles
Pripyat was human made.

Reply 4022 of 27625, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Early this morning I made some progress on Ultima Underworld. Still on level 5, but got the haft of Caliburn, had Shak repair it into the Sword of Justice, then had Marrowsuck make me cool lava-walking boots out of the dragon scales and spider thread. Think I'm nearly done with level 5 now.

Then later this evening I got through Level 8: Steam on Far Cry and started level 9: Regulator.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4023 of 27625, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My IBM 5150 has been having intermittent hard drive problems (it has a 3.5" 20MB Miniscribe MFM drive), so I over-confidently opened up the drive to see if it just needed the rails to be lubricated (I'd fixed a similar age 5.25" Miniscribe disk by doing this recently). It was pristine, so that was apparently not the problem. A tiny tiny bit of dust landed on the platters of course, which isn't as big of a deal with these old drives as with newer ones. So, I did what any normal human would do and lightly blew it away. Keep in mind, it was very very late and I was sleep deprived and had no business messing with these kinds of things in such a state... so when I blew the second time I apparently didn't notice the tiny bit of moisture on my lips and I managed to actually spit the tiniest bit on the stinking hard drive platter... >_<

Talk about failure...

After feeling incredibly stupid I looked up online the easiest way to clean a hard drive platter, because I was pretty sure that the hard surface and magnetic nature of the storage made it less prone to data loss by physical means. People suggested using isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips, so I tried that but it still left slight splotches, and when I tested the system it wouldn't load some of my games. So my next step was to use something that was better at removing all residue, so there I was, buffing a 10MB hard drive platter with a (brand new) microfiber lens cleaning cloth, dampened with isopropyl alcohol. In the end, it actually worked. It was an incredible waste of time because I think the problem actually lies in the poorly designed power connector on the drive, so the drive never needed to be opened... but I was able to load everything I needed to load during testing, and my 2 1/2 year old daughter was able to play Alley Cat in glorious CGA. She really grew to hate the bulldog in that game though and started yelling at him, so I had to cut her off... GOOD TIMES!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4024 of 27625, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
firage wrote:

Spent all day mapping out the SQ2500 Vortex 2 for an upcoming capacitor overhaul:

It's a pretty big bunch of caps and this was my first time, but it was actually fun for the most part.

I have one of these (and had one back ~2000 as well)... what kind of problems are you having that are leading you to recap it?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4025 of 27625, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing aside from some cosmetic dings on the caps, and it is already a fine quality card. Just happens I have extras going unused, so one is going to give up her original caps and probably the amps, too, in the name of science. 😀

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4026 of 27625, by Nopileus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Replaced all the Nichicon HM and HN series capacitors on a Intel D865GLC Motherboard, they were all bulged or had already vented. Nichicon messed up in the early 2000s by overfilling the entire series and thus they all fail.
Curiously the board still ran perfectly fine regardless.

Major pain in in butt this, massive ground planes and multi-layer PCBs do not lend well to hand soldering since the heat goes anywhere but the part you're working on.
I'm using a fairly high end Hakko soldering station but ideally you'd want a proper powered desoldering tool.

Reply 4029 of 27625, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FaSMaN wrote:

Spent the entire weekend moving house, seeing as 90% of my stuff is all retro , I consider that a Retro Activity 😜

Sounds like my week ☺

Might have to change my name to PhilsComputerHouse ☺

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4030 of 27625, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the process of recapping a IBM 486 motherboard. Hope it all goes well.
So far, 50% done today. I have marked the old with color on top.
Using some good old-school lead tin. So easy to work with. 😜

Attachments

• Recap-01.jpg
    Filename
    Recap-01.jpg
    File size
    107.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Lead-Tin.jpg
    Filename
    Lead-Tin.jpg
    File size
    86.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4032 of 27625, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Put together a pc out of the am3 parts I bought awhile back to give to my step-brother as a Birthday present. One more person to drag into online gaming sessions muwhaha.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4033 of 27625, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

In the process of recapping a IBM 486 motherboard. Hope it all goes well.
So far, 50% done today. I have marked the old with color on top.
Using some good old-school lead tin. So easy to work with. 😜

Hey, I think that's the same board I have! Do you have documentation for it?

I haven't tried it yet, but I may get back to you for jumper settings etc. if you don't mind.

Reply 4034 of 27625, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oerk wrote:

Hey, I think that's the same board I have! Do you have documentation for it?

I haven't tried it yet, but I may get back to you for jumper settings etc. if you don't mind.

This is on the backside of the case cover.... Hope you can use it.
I have not resized the pictures, so they are easy to read, though a bit big.

Attachments

• Jumper-01.jpg
    Filename
    Jumper-01.jpg
    File size
    766.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Jumper-02.jpg
    Filename
    Jumper-02.jpg
    File size
    962.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Jumper-03.jpg
    Filename
    Jumper-03.jpg
    File size
    864.85 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4035 of 27625, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

This is on the backside of the case cover.... Hope you can use it.
I have not resized the pictures, so they are easy to read, though a bit big.

Yes, absolutely! Thanks a lot!

You wouldn't happen to know what the "5V/3.3V jumper" looks like, right? I suspect it's a small PCB with a voltage regulator on it, since the board doesn't appear to have one, but that is only speculation.

Reply 4036 of 27625, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope... Sorry. 🙁
I think it is controlled by the row of jumpers, found on the edge of the board, close to the CPU.
Otherwise, I have no clue. Mine is set up to a Dx2-66. (Factory default)

Reply 4037 of 27625, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did a little house keeping and sorted through some of my rare book collection, mostly 19th century and some early 20th. Creepy even got a book that was printed the same year the Titanic sank but some of this collection can't even be found on google wow.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4038 of 27625, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played some Epic Pinball this morning before going to work. Man, the music for the Deep Sea table kinda reminds me of the Fletch theme song. 🤣

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 4039 of 27625, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

built a new workbench, so now I have room to put my ISA boxes on the shelf!

HaM6JDdh.jpg

now I dont have to futz about on the floor with backplanes and cords! whoooo.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--