VOGONS

Reply 4160 of 27635, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just connected my retro computer to the Internet for the first time, just sharing the actual connection by using the network bridge option that comes with Windows (never used it before) 😀. I'm quite surprised that it works relatively well, being the PC a Pentium 1 machine. I used IE 5.5 to enter here in Vogons 😀 😀

Reply 4161 of 27635, by kikenovic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Played some Magical Chase for Windows 95 on well you guessed Windows 95.

Added a PCI/128 soundcard to the "nostalgia rig" which will get me started while I wait for a CT1600 to arrive.

Reply 4164 of 27635, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:
Static IP addresses did not work: 2 T61s saw each other: not the other 3 T61s. 3 T61s saw each other: not the other 2 T61s. On t […]
Show full quote

Static IP addresses did not work:
2 T61s saw each other: not the other 3 T61s.
3 T61s saw each other: not the other 2 T61s.
On the same 1GB HUB. TCP/IP & IPX/SPX/NETBIOS: same thing.

With DHCP (my internet router): no issues.

With static IPs, try mapping each system into the other's HOST file (if you really care about making it work with the static IPs).

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4167 of 27635, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I installed that BIOS battery wich I bought for my Unisys PW/2 Series 300.
This machine: Unisys PW2 series 300 (PICTURE HEAVY)
Now it is working with VGA, IDE-Hdd and soundcard. Fresh BIOS battery.
I have a feeling that this is the last I will fix on it, as it is from 1987/88.
Stuff will not last, though this have been working stock configured untill 2015.

Finished it all up, by playing Lemmings for one hour on the old Unisys.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4168 of 27635, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Went through my boxes of SDRAM in search for PC-133 32MB DIMMs, but alas I didn't find any.

I did however find a SDRAM DIMM with only 16MB, that might possibly be the smallest amount of SDRAM ever to be put on a SDRAM DIMM 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4169 of 27635, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been browsing somewhat randomly on Ebay, found some listing of some Compaq s370 boards (I was originally looking for K6-3), then started looking on google for this particular board "Compaq 240762-001" as I was curious if it supported Tualatin.
And to my big surprise I found this page http://www.ctechinfo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45
Apparently some people over there are collecting data on Compaq boards and a little bit below they referenced to a reply made on Vogons here http://www.ctechinfo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45#p7165

Re: CR120 Motherboards Postby evasive » Tue May 26, 2015 9:35 am […]
Show full quote

Re: CR120 Motherboards
Postby evasive » Tue May 26, 2015 9:35 am

"TOP TOOLING" marking is seen on 240762-001
Re: Show me your motherboard collection thread.

The link then took me to Vogons, here Re: Show me your motherboard collection thread. which turned out to be a reply I made myself a year earlier 🤣
The same reply had a second link http://www.ctechinfo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2212

And now came the big surprise! They were referencing to a snipped of info I put on Vogons and listed a Compaq board I own. BUT I listed it in my list of Coppermine boards instead of my list of Tualatin boards.

So this morning, apparently I might have gotten another Tualatin-capable motherboard by doing absolutely nothing except for sitting behind my PC and browsing the net with a cup of coffee, thanks to some people somewhere on the net and thanks to something I wrote back in 2014! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4170 of 27635, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tetrium, that's amazing. 🤣. Very cool story.

I am testing my first retro 486 PC, with an Intel DX2/66. The board uses the SiS85C461 chipset, and I could not find any performance data on it either on Phil's VGA Benchmark, or on any other benchmark charts around the net. So I was very curious if it would be a worthy performer. It is a VLB board with a CL-GD5428 based VLB graphics card. Here are some preliminary findings:
with stock BIOS settings it performs very typically compared to other DX2/66s on Phil's VGA chart: 24.19 fps in Doom. With BIOS timings maxed out (so far it's being stable!), it appears to be one of the fastest VLB-based DX2/66s compared to Phil's VGA chart: 27.05 fps in Doom. And I'm finding a nice range of slower speeds by playing with timings and caches.

One bummer is it appears to need drive overlay software to access over 504MB, even though the BIOS detects the full size of the HDD. I haven't messed with that yet.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4171 of 27635, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Returned to my search for technical information on Philips CD-i hardware in order to help improve MAME's emulation.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4173 of 27635, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vincent_Vega_SA wrote:

Fixed my LEADTEK WINFAST A280TD GEFORCE4 TI4800 128MB DDR MYVIVO ...

What did you fix?!

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 4175 of 27635, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Started testing a ton of graphics cards on a VIA chipset Super Socket 7 with a K6-III+. The Voodoo cards worked without a hitch, all games, all resolutions. Then I tried some Nvidia cards... 😵

Total disaster 😊

At first I would get weird screen flickering in Direct3D games, Quake II worked fine though. So I tried different drivers for the graphics cards and chipset and things just got worse from there on. Freezes, Windows stuck loading, moving mouse with PC speaker ticking and all sorts of fun stuff...

I'll have to re-install Windows and try again, but it's not looking good for the green team.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4177 of 27635, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Started testing a ton of graphics cards on a VIA chipset Super Socket 7 with a K6-III+. The Voodoo cards worked without a hitch, […]
Show full quote

Started testing a ton of graphics cards on a VIA chipset Super Socket 7 with a K6-III+. The Voodoo cards worked without a hitch, all games, all resolutions. Then I tried some Nvidia cards... 😵

Total disaster 😊

At first I would get weird screen flickering in Direct3D games, Quake II worked fine though. So I tried different drivers for the graphics cards and chipset and things just got worse from there on. Freezes, Windows stuck loading, moving mouse with PC speaker ticking and all sorts of fun stuff...

I'll have to re-install Windows and try again, but it's not looking good for the green team.

MVP3? If so, then it sounds really strange. Could it be the mobo it self that does not like nVidia?

Reply 4178 of 27635, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

MVP3? If so, then it sounds really strange. Could it be the mobo it self that does not like nVidia?

Yea it's an AOpen AX59Pro. I tried all sorts of NV cards and issues I encountered multiple issues:

- Hard locks
- Blue screens
- Flashing graphics (Like black shapes cutting through)
- Not loading Windows 98

I tried various drivers, BIOS options, setting AGP to 1x. The board doesn't just not like Nvidia, it seems to totally hate it, which annoys me as I really wanted to collect the data 😒

I might start a thread tomorrow to see what drivers and settings other people use. And I have other boards I can use too.

Funny thing is, an ATI Rage6 works without a hitch, and I expected ATI to be trouble maker here. The Rage6 doesn't perform as well as I thought though.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4179 of 27635, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strange..... I have an FIC PA-2013 and it works 100℅ with both TNT2-Pro and Ultra.