VOGONS

Reply 4160 of 4619, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are expected to take things from a lot of recyclers, even if it's for a small fee, and are encouraged to do so. I thought it was just someone on staff being petty.

Do they not allow you to take things here *and* won't sell it to you? That does seem petty.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2023-04-08, 15:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4161 of 4619, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-04-08, 05:00:

You are expected to take things from a lot of recyclers, even if it's for a small fee, and are encouraged to do so. I thought it was just someone on staff being petty.

Do they not allow you to take things here *and* won't sell it to you? That does seem petty.

Could it be that some e-waste recyclers are legally non-profit organizations? (Re)selling recycled items might change their status to for-profit companies and deprive them from receiving government support and/or require them to pay sales tax.

Last edited by dormcat on 2023-04-08, 15:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4163 of 4619, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-04-07, 22:28:
I saved most of the stuff from Intel in a about 20 archives. Your boards docs and last bios are in this one: https://archive.or […]
Show full quote
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2023-03-31, 15:21:
An Intel DP35DP (LGA775) motherboard with CPU and RAM was going to the recycler, it's now mine. Special thanks to Intel for acti […]
Show full quote

An Intel DP35DP (LGA775) motherboard with CPU and RAM was going to the recycler, it's now mine. Special thanks to Intel for actively removing all BIOS for their motherboards from their website in 2019, what a dick move.

The old Pentiums, K6 and a broken Athlon XP were kindly donated a couple of days ago.

IMG-0333.jpg

I saved most of the stuff from Intel in a about 20 archives. Your boards docs and last bios are in this one:
https://archive.org/details/intellegacyboards3138
you can browse the RAR and grab the files you want seperately: https://ia902805.us.archive.org/view_archive. … rds%2031_38.rar
the DP35DP_QuickRef04.pdf is very handy for the pinouts of near all the board connectors....

Oh thanks, I wasn't expecting that much!

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 4164 of 4619, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I was really lucky, I went to the local computer store to buy an SSD and saw that there was a big pile of mainboards on top of each other at the back. I asked what this was and they are the old boards from computers customers bring in for upgrades or disposal. I asked what the oldest mainboard in this pile is and the guy gave me that, completely for free!

• An AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (2009)
  • A top of the line (back then) Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 with more types of extension slots I ever had. It does SLI and Crossfire, has Firewire etc etc...
  • 3x 4GB of fancy DDR3

IMG-0338.jpg
IMG-0340.jpg

Apparently this came from a watercooled PC that stopped working and the customer just wanted to change his PC anyway. The mainboard is thus lacking the CPU bracket, but that's a $5 item. I connected the thing, just put a stock AMD cooler on it and indeed it beeps 3 times on startup and no video output. It appears that one of the 3 memory sticks is dead. All RAM slot work with the other modules, and this one doesn't work in any slot...easy "fix" then.

So for the non-price I paid, this is really a kind gift from the store! AM3 still seems so recent, but it's actually a 14 years old CPU!

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 4165 of 4619, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2023-04-08, 15:44:
Today I was really lucky, I went to the local computer store to buy an SSD and saw that there was a big pile of mainboards on to […]
Show full quote

Today I was really lucky, I went to the local computer store to buy an SSD and saw that there was a big pile of mainboards on top of each other at the back. I asked what this was and they are the old boards from computers customers bring in for upgrades or disposal. I asked what the oldest mainboard in this pile is and the guy gave me that, completely for free!

• An AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (2009)
  • A top of the line (back then) Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 with more types of extension slots I ever had. It does SLI and Crossfire, has Firewire etc etc...
  • 3x 4GB of fancy DDR3

IMG-0338.jpg
IMG-0340.jpg

Apparently this came from a watercooled PC that stopped working and the customer just wanted to change his PC anyway. The mainboard is thus lacking the CPU bracket, but that's a $5 item. I connected the thing, just put a stock AMD cooler on it and indeed it beeps 3 times on startup and no video output. It appears that one of the 3 memory sticks is dead. All RAM slot work with the other modules, and this one doesn't work in any slot...easy "fix" then.

So for the non-price I paid, this is really a kind gift from the store! AM3 still seems so recent, but it's actually a 14 years old CPU!

Über nice find! Top of the class. Hope you'll make good use of it.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4167 of 4619, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same issue with our recyclers sites in Canada. Allowed to drop off, not allowed to take anything even the dump site is open to all.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4168 of 4619, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Digital equipment corporation Prioris XL 6200
- scsi optical drive, tape drive & hard drive ( Toshiba cdrom XM-5701ta, archive python 28388-xxx, quantum fireball st4.3s )
- pentium pro 200
- 3 dimm 128, 64 & 32 (edo I think and yes they're dimms not simms) ECC
- missing side panel

haven't tested it yet. Tested, fully working. NT4 backoffice SBS
and the mainboard isn't listed on theretroweb.

A contaq 82c596 +sis 85c206 based 486 mainboard with 7 isa 16 bit slots, 2 VLB, 8 30 pin simm slots, slight varta battery leak damage, 8+tag cache chips
I also couldn't find this mainboard on theretroweb.

2 pcbs
one marked
IO board 85-3240-01
the other marked
CPU / MEMORY BOARD 85-3261-01 052086
cpu is a 286@8MHz, 4k sram, 512K ram
No idea which system these came out of. Definitely proprietary looking at the connectors.

edit, tested dec system

Attachments

• DSC_1080.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_1080.JPG
    File size
    1.93 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    prioris XL 6200 , 1 486 mb and 2 other pcb
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4169 of 4619, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You gotta search RetroWeb several different ways sometimes, search is not 100% reliable. You'd think easy way is with chipset, but even then sometimes stuff doesn't come up in the results, even when you finally get there it looks right. Anyway, try searching by chipset, then by numbers of slots, extreme cases I've had to get down to real basics, cpu class, board format, RAM type, and eyeball some 100 results and the thing is there. Then you look at the entry and the parameters seem correct but search didn't get it, nuts. Though some are really really not there, but that seems to be about 1 in 4 of things that seem not to be there on first try.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4170 of 4619, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BitWrangler, I already did that but just to be pedantic I just did a search for 7 isa & 2 vlb, 102 results, and the board is not in there. Though the layout of the TMC ones looks similar from afar.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 4171 of 4619, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I concur, it doesn't seem to be there, unless known example didn't have one of the VLB or 1 or more of the 16bit ISAs populated, or only half the RAM sockets and counts etc are way off.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4172 of 4619, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2023-04-09, 09:19:
Digital equipment corporation Prioris XL 6200 - scsi optical drive, tape drive & hard drive ( Toshiba cdrom XM-5701ta, archive […]
Show full quote

Digital equipment corporation Prioris XL 6200
- scsi optical drive, tape drive & hard drive ( Toshiba cdrom XM-5701ta, archive python 28388-xxx, quantum fireball st4.3s )
- pentium pro 200
- 3 dimm 128, 64 & 32 (edo I think and yes they're dimms not simms) ECC
- missing side panel

haven't tested it yet. Tested, fully working. NT4 backoffice SBS
and the mainboard isn't listed on theretroweb.

A contaq 82c596 +sis 85c206 based 486 mainboard with 7 isa 16 bit slots, 2 VLB, 8 30 pin simm slots, slight varta battery leak damage, 8+tag cache chips
I also couldn't find this mainboard on theretroweb.

2 pcbs
one marked
IO board 85-3240-01
the other marked
No idea which system these came out of. Definitely proprietary looking at the connectors.

edit, tested dec system

The proprietary two cards are from a Zenith computer, you need Zenith back plane. You are also missing a memory card as well because the onboard ram is 512K.
Difficult to find parts than an anything else.

Back in the day, Zenith computers were usually mostly found in government, education campuses and such. They usually stripletions if used government money to purchase these, the computers must be scrapped carefully and nearly nothing escaped. Hence the rarity these days.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4173 of 4619, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-04-09, 18:10:
The proprietary two cards are from a Zenith computer, you need Zenith back plane. You are also missing a memory card as well b […]
Show full quote
weedeewee wrote on 2023-04-09, 09:19:
2 pcbs one marked 031186 IO board 85-3240-01 the other marked CPU / MEMORY BOARD 85-3261-01 052086 cpu is a 286@8MHz, 4k sram, […]
Show full quote

2 pcbs
one marked
IO board 85-3240-01
the other marked

The proprietary two cards are from a Zenith computer, you need Zenith back plane. You are also missing a memory card as well because the onboard ram is 512K.
Difficult to find parts than an anything else.

Back in the day, Zenith computers were usually mostly found in government, education campuses and such. They usually stripletions if used government money to purchase these, the computers must be scrapped carefully and nearly nothing escaped. Hence the rarity these days.

Cheers,

stripletions ? I think i understand what you mean by it in the sentence.
rare items you say. worth a penny yes ? How much would these be worth ? three fiddy or more ?
I guess I can always use them for spare parts or as ornaments. 😀

Do not ask Why !

Reply 4175 of 4619, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently found a hercules 3d prophet 4000xt pci card - should i be excited? 😀

well i can sort of answer with a no given the performance and reviews - but it does enable me to add 3d to one of my pci only machines and see what it can do

and the card looks great in blue with the tiny fan!

Reply 4176 of 4619, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-04-10, 18:26:

well i can sort of answer with a no given the performance and reviews - but it does enable me to add 3d to one of my pci only machines and see what it can do

That's a nice find I think, they are a bit exotic and as you say their PCB looks good! It's the first iteration of the Kyro chip as far as I remember.

Reply 4177 of 4619, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2023-04-10, 18:26:

I have this card in AGP and, while an interesting curiosity, was lackluster in compatibility and performance over a comparable NVIDIA and ATI alternative. It is interesting to have in a collection, though. I just couldn't find a good reason to want it in a build.

Reply 4178 of 4619, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rescued a CT4520 AWE64 from the scrap pile today. It must be an OEM version or something, it lacks the expansion headers and the chips around them. Also grabbed some pci-x scsi cards that were next to it in the pile.

Reply 4179 of 4619, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AWE64 Value still has 512k onboard memory, which is enough for a lot of games, as it was the standard. I wouldn't worry about not having any further memory expansion, as it's only useful for custom soundfonts that people shared on the internet.

Custom soundfonts can only be loaded from within Windows, so a Live! Or Audigy would be more useful at that point. I don't know if any DOS games made use of the soundfont features of the AWE32/64.