VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 4540 of 53042, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought you was stopped by your girlfriend because you spended to much? Now you are collecting again? Tell me..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4542 of 53042, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the retro computing stuff I picked up today at my usual flea market:
dscn1384.jpg?w=400
It wasn't the 5.25" floppy drive or the overall look of the case that got my attention, it was the case logo. I was like 'Wow, Asder!', but then I got home, took a closer look and realized it actually says Asper. Bummer 😵. Anyway it's still a really nice case, it'll definitely house one of my future 386 or 486 builds. 😉

What's inside? Not much, unfortunately:
dscn1385.jpg?w=800
UMC Multi I/O card, Trident TVGA8900, ALi based motherboard with soldered L2 cache, Intel 486DX2-66, no evident battery corrosion. No RAM, hard drives or any interesting cards so I believe this was already stripped off the good stuff at some point.

Maybe not so retro but I've always wanted one of these, and in such good aesthetic condition for a dirt cheap price I couldn't resist:
dscn1376.jpg?w=800
It's the USB 2.0 version of the 20GB Creative Nomad Zen, with the original Fujitsu hard drive still in there. Upon powering up the drive doesn't spin and the display flashes the Creative logo for a brief fraction of a second, then displays "Hardware Problem" and it won't power off unless I desolder the battery. Thought the hard drive was bad so I replaced it with a known good 80GB one, but no change. No drive spin-up, immediately displays "Hardware Problem", only responds to reset, no response at all from USB either. Holding the Play button and pressing reset doesn't change anything. The tiny amount of information I can find on the web is for different models, Creative's website doesn't list a firmware download for this model, and whatever user communities existed for these are long gone. Is it a completely lost cause? 😢

Strangely enough I tried the original Fujitsu drive on my PC through a USB-IDE adapter and a plain NTFS volume with some music on it came right up. Aren't these supposed to use proprietary file systems?

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4543 of 53042, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have got they same AT case you got over there.. But what i can tell, thats a cheap case especially the metal part is very cheap.. I really couldnt get some motherboards with the addon cards alligned..
I am only rescued the front panel.. As spare part.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4546 of 53042, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Attached some pics of some cool stuff I got from my neighbors at last! 😀 more to come. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Filename
    PC stuff 007.JPG
    File size
    456.54 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Boxed Athlon xp 2200+ found at Goodwill for $10
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    PC stuff 008.JPG
    File size
    461.16 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    PC stuff 003.JPG
    File size
    464.78 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    PC stuff 002.JPG
    File size
    448.2 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    PC stuff 001.JPG
    File size
    464.23 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 4548 of 53042, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, my camera just can not take pictures in this crappy house 😒 the lighting is terrible and the walls are dark fake wood paneling.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4549 of 53042, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Sorry, my camera just can not take pictures in this crappy house 😒 the lighting is terrible and the walls are dark fake wood paneling.

You want something like my Fuji S1800 :p It cost all of £30 from Cash Generator (there, or Cash Solutions or somewhere similar). Any specifics on the too-blurry-to-read-their-labels hard drives?

Reply 4550 of 53042, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently using a Olympus Camedia c-700. Great outdoor pictures, but these old mobile homes just suck. Might start taking parts outside and taking pictures, dont really have enough use for a new camera to justify even $30 ya know? All SCSI, the controller card is a Adaptec controller.IBM 9GB LVD/SE drive, Seagate ST34572N Barracuda, Fujitsu Limited drive Model MAB3091SC, WD 4.3gb Wide-ultra scsi drive, and a Seagate ST32171WC Barracuda drive. Not really sure what to do with any of these yet, might end up in a p3

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4551 of 53042, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ODwilly - What's the blue AGP card in the picture with the "multi-sync" sticker? On the camera, try bracing yourself against a wall/shelf/chair/etc - it's probably running a long exposure (>1/60s) and that's where you get the blur from (more specifically, from you moving while it's got the shutter open). Alternately you may try forcing it (if possible) into a faster exposure, and playing with brightness/exposure in Photoshop after the fact (I've seen mixed results with this over the years; sometimes it works very well, sometimes it doesn't).

Reply 4552 of 53042, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The card is a S3 Savage 2000, from the box with the cheetah on it. And good advice, Im a pretty shaky person so I will experiment and try to find a good setting etc to make the pictures bearable.

Reply 4553 of 53042, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And good advice, Im a pretty shaky person so I will experiment and try to find a good setting etc to make the pictures bearable.

Well, getting sharp pictures at 1/2 sec shutter speed handheld isn't easy for any human being. 😀
Upgrading the camera doesn't replace the basics of photography really.

The easiest way (if you don't use flash for some reason): just put the camera on anything that resembles a tripod, and press the shutter button very carefully. And if possible, place the subjects by the window (the real one, not the OS!) when the light's there.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4554 of 53042, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
archsan wrote:

The easiest way (if you don't use flash for some reason): just put the camera on anything that resembles a tripod, and press the shutter button very carefully. And if possible, place the subjects by the window (the real one, not the OS!) when the light's there.

Or use the timer, so you don't even have to press the shutter button, just hold the camera still 😀

Finally got my hands on one of these, cheap too 😀

BQiCgjpl.jpg

Reply 4555 of 53042, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, timer's a good idea if you could fix the framing (e.g. by positioning the subject perpendicular to the table/base), therefore you don't even need to hold the camera (just put it on the table/base) = no shake. Otherwise you'll still need the hand at least for tilting up/down.

Hm, this makes me want to setup a ghetto product photography rig (memo to self: CLEAN your freakin' workspace first!).

Jarvik7 wrote:
Bought a 60Mhz analog scope to help with repairs and design of guitar effects. Vintage 1989. Cost: 2000 yen with a pair of 1x/10 […]
Show full quote

Bought a 60Mhz analog scope to help with repairs and design of guitar effects. Vintage 1989. Cost: 2000 yen with a pair of 1x/10x probes!

hello_rabbit999-img600x450-13992869145klyky13103.jpg

w00t! 😲 Gorgeous!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4556 of 53042, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Top PIII for my Slot 1 reference system!

GeRUpV5h.jpg

I love the look of this card. The green cooler is very nice. DVI output as well for a razor sharp image. This is the Quadro2 Pro.

my1CZEoh.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4557 of 53042, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mau1wurf1977 How does the Coppermine 1.1Ghz @ 100fsb compare to the 1Ghz @ 133fsb?
The Nvidia Card, looks like its based on the Geforce 3? Any benchmarks 😀

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 4558 of 53042, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
foey wrote:

Mau1wurf1977 How does the Coppermine 1.1Ghz @ 100fsb compare to the 1Ghz @ 133fsb?
The Nvidia Card, looks like its based on the Geforce 3? Any benchmarks 😀

I haven't tested any of these. The Nvidia card is a Quadro2 Pro (GeForce2 based). I wanted the 1.1 PIII because it is the fastest 100 MHz FSB PIII. I am NOT interested in overclocking the FSB and comparing such results. If you want more speed go with a S370 and Tualatin 😀

But I will compare it with the Tualatin chips on a S370 platform. When I get to it. Some day 😒

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4559 of 53042, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Adlib
ISA_Adlib_f.JPG

Logitech Soundman Wave
ISA_Logitech_SoundMan_Wave_f.JPG

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600