VOGONS

Reply 460 of 4639, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Living wrote:
i been asked to review "old junk" that was going to the bin, i could take whatever i wanted... […]
Show full quote

i been asked to review "old junk" that was going to the bin, i could take whatever i wanted...

i was like 😳 when i found that between the "old junk" was some piece's of hardware that i never seen despite i been repairing computers since 1999

Intel D875PBZ:

WP_20160817_001.jpg

Voodoo 4 4500 32MB AGP + Asus V9280 Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB:

WP_20160807_001.jpg

Except maybe for the Ti4200 the others are almost impossible to find here in Argentina.

PS: yep, all in working condition 😀

Don't use the V4 without the fan. The heatsink still gets very hot even with it.

Reply 461 of 4639, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first "Dumpster" find, well actually by someone's house, so I offered to clean the hard disk for them, but they'd already removed it (and the RAM, though surprised that DDR1 would be any use anywhere else - maybe they thought that had to be removed for security as well?).
DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

image sharing

Not as exciting as I'd hoped, 865 chipset, Extreme 2 graphics and no AGP slot fitted (space for one, why do they do that!)
P4 2.8 Skt 478 - coolermaster cooler, Hmm wonder if CPU was upgraded, as I doubt that coolermaster was original HP/Compaq fitment
LG Super Multi DVD-RW.
PSU - Liteon 250W with 15A on the 12V.

Still, not going to look a gift horse too much in the mouth, might throw some RAM in it, needed to get some more DDR1 for another system, so cross fingers that it isn't a destroyer!, and see if it can run a live CD.

Extreme 2 graphics and no AGP are a bit of a downer though, not sure how well supported it would be for playing with Linux or maybe reactos

Reply 463 of 4639, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:
My latest dumpster find! […]
Show full quote

My latest dumpster find!

dsc06301_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-dag0uij.jpg

A packard bell, A PAIR of NES's and a ps3?!? The Dumpster God surely smiles upon you this day.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 465 of 4639, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

file.php?id=7309
file.php?id=7310

P4 1,8Ghz, 256Mb RAM, 20Gb, CD-Rom, TNT1 Vanta.

Now:
P4 1,8Ghz, 1Gb SD-Ram, 160Gb, CD-Rom, GeForce 6200 AGPx 512Mb DDR2
Replaced Capacitorbank near CPU Cooler with used Capacitors (handpicked and measured)

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 467 of 4639, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still got 2 of these, 1 is in my Mrs warehouse used for stock control. Good honest workhorses!
Was right at the end of Compaq as well, you can get the same PC's with HP branding
that's 1 hell of scratched case though

Reply 468 of 4639, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:
My latest dumpster find! […]
Show full quote

My latest dumpster find!

dsc06301_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-dag0uij.jpg

The Packard Bell looks suspiciously like my very first PC I bought myself when I was 12. I think it was a Pac-Mate 65? Is yours a 486/25? The PB keyboard in front is one of my all time favorites - compact, good layout, full-size backspace, nice feel, quiet, and no windows keys.

I still have mine in storage somewhere - complete setup with desktop, keyboard & terrible 14" monitor. Last I remember it was upgraded to a DX4/100 and my grandmother used it for a while.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 469 of 4639, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rescued this and a couple other minitowers from the e-waste pile in the basement of my girlfriend's apartment complex. No doubt we've all seen dozens of these old Dell P4 minitowers, they were the Toyota Corollas of pedestrian computing.

Dell Dimension 2400.jpg

This one is actually fairly well-outfitted with a floppy drive and dual-layer DVD burner. Interestingly, the owner left all the original hardware inside but disconnected the cables as if that would somehow render the hard drive inaccessible. Plugging everything back in and powering up revealed a drive full of decade-old family photos and high school papers. There are even working installs of Photoshop CS and AutoCAD 2006. Looks like the system was used by three different sisters from a religious Korean family. Poking around revealed nothing of interest so I deleted it all and created a fresh user account. The system is now on Craigslist waiting for a new owner, who will no doubt riddle it with spyware within a week.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 470 of 4639, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a old trash PC near my apartament. Is an old custom PC based on a Abit SG-72 motherboard (SiS 661FX + 964L without SATA ports) which is quite strange since it support 800 FSB P4s and has an universal AGP port. CPU is a 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 (no HT). Motherboard PCB revision is 1.1 (which means it officially supports higher clocked P4s acording to Abit's site unlike 1.0)

There were a lot of missing parts though like one of the covers, HDD, CPU cooler, PSU... and one of the RAM sticks were found stuck in some part of the case (i already took out the stick with care)

The videocard on it (Geforce 2 MX 400) was broken, but well, i have many Geforce 2 MX 400s xD

I'll post some updates and maybe make a thread about this motherboard when i do some tests on it, is not common to see a motherboard whith universal AGP which support FSB 800 P4s (Both Northwood and Prescott)

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 471 of 4639, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bad pic, but I saved a couple of things from certain death at the recycling center:

IMGP8757.JPG

A Macintosh Classic in kind of rough shape, we'll see how it cleans up.

Then, a PPC Mac which I'm not really sure what it's called since the front bezel is gone and Apple was infamous in the nineties for having a million models with the same model number. The model number underneath reads M3076 so it looks like it's a 1996-ish Performa something-or-other with a 75 or 100 MHz PPC 603e, probably 32 Mb RAM, 4x IDE CD-ROM, 800 MB or 1.2 GB HD. Other than the missing bezel the rest of it looks good.

Never owned either a PPC Mac or a compact Mac before, so this might be fun. No idea if they work yet, and either way I don't have keyboards, mice or monitors for these machines. Worst case scenario I can strip out the Performa, or whatever it is, for some good parts. I do need small IDE drives and slow beige CD-ROMs.

EDIT: oh neat, looks like it's a Performa 6200; what LowEndMac calls "the worst Mac hardware ever" 😀
http://lowendmac.com/1997/performa-and-power- … ac-x200-issues/

Reply 472 of 4639, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I work at an institute of higher learning. Sometimes the weirdest things show up in the recycle piles:

flop1.png
flop2.png

Yes, those are apparently brand new. I love the box design BTW, so '80s.

Also from the same pile - I'd been ignoring the P4 system on the left for a couple weeks because I thought it was gonna be a 478 machine and I have tons of those. Well today I popped it open to check for RAM (which is usually removed prior to it going for disposal around here) and it turns out to be an LGA775 rig complete with 4GB of DDR2 and an X550 PCI-e. Mine.

pen41.png
pen42.png

Still a P4 but a 3.0HT is definitely not bad... and it works perfectly too. Just needs a HDD.

I also grabbed the blue case on the right because it looks nice and is in perfect shape. Nothing good inside but no matter, I can use it for something.

The irony is I just gave away all my P4 stuff earlier today because I'm having a clearout, then I go pick up more. Ah well.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 473 of 4639, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also grabbed these two weird little thin client / network appliances (NCD ExploraPro.) Interesting configuration of hardware. No idea if it's possible to add storage or a local OS via the PCMCIA slot (or even what OS to use if that works!) but they seem to have everything onboard to be a complete mini-computer.

explora1.png
explora2.png
explora3.png

(There are PS/2 ports for a keyboard & mouse on the side too.)

They take an 18VAC wall wart with an odd-sized connector so god knows when I'm gonna find one of those, but it will be interesting to see what they can do when I do.

Reply 474 of 4639, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Found a brand-new, never opened Soltek SL-75KAV (VIA KT133-based Socket A with ISA slot) in a trash bin. The box itself is a little dinged up but everything is there in its factory sealed antistatic packaging. I have absolutely no use for it but I couldn't let it be hauled away for scrap.

BTW if anyone was wondering what this looks like, I took some pics:

soltek1.jpg
soltek2.jpg
soltek3.jpg

It's for sale on a local site, but I'm not allowed to tell you that here. 😜

Reply 475 of 4639, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

I also grabbed these two weird little thin client / network appliances (NCD ExploraPro.) Interesting configuration of hardware. No idea if it's possible to add storage or a local OS via the PCMCIA slot (or even what OS to use if that works!) but they seem to have everything onboard to be a complete mini-computer.

They take an 18VAC wall wart with an odd-sized connector so god knows when I'm gonna find one of those, but it will be interesting to see what they can do when I do.

Ughh... It has a PowerPC embedded CPU. Probably it uses a custom UNIX version, like the old IBM Network Station. Probably can't run anything more in such small amount of memory, and probably has no MMU to run some LinuxPPC flavor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Compute … Network_Station
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/NC-HOWTO/

Reply 476 of 4639, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this in the street today. Weirdly enough the front bezel doesn't seem to fit the case so I wonder if it got mismatched when someone was throwing away multiple computers. Noticed a Windows 98SE license sticker on the front bezel so I was kind of expecting a Pentium 3 but it seems it's a Pentium 4 machine. I then discovered a windows 2000 sticker on the side panel. Seems in reasonably good condition. Mobo is MSI MS-6562 and VGA is Radeon ARV100C1P (Radeon VE 64MB).

zYFkV5Xl.jpg

SrxJEIsl.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 477 of 4639, by MechaniKey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently found an Acer Aspire tower from 1996 with a Socket 7 Pentium 166, 32MB of RAM and Windows 95. It has an abundance of PCI and ISA slots from an EISA daughter board, similar to my Dell OptiPlex GXa. Also found a few CRT monitors and a generic, poorly-built tower from 2004 with a Socket 754 Sempron, a complete lemon of a PSU, 512MB of DDR400 and a GeForce FX 5200. It was literally falling apart when I got it. Got a few more things from this haul, such as a Dell AT101W in very good condition. Will take pictures soon.

Reply 478 of 4639, by ajdrenter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:

Also from the same pile - I'd been ignoring the P4 system on the left for a couple weeks because I thought it was gonna be a 478 machine and I have tons of those. Well today I popped it open to check for RAM (which is usually removed prior to it going for disposal around here) and it turns out to be an LGA775 rig complete with 4GB of DDR2 and an X550 PCI-e. Mine.

pen41.png
pen42.png

Man that Aopen case is fantastic. The front panel release lever is really cool and it is built like a tank. My Ep45-Ud3p lives in on of those. Very cool.

Reply 479 of 4639, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fired up my "find", with some DDR400 that I'd bought for another system, and with no HDD, spun up a Zorin OS Live DVD.

Now how well does it run on a P4 2.8A on an 865 chipset with 😜 Intel Extreme 2 graphics?

PAINFUL! - Not sure if the effects can be turned down, but the graphics unveil the true awfulness of Intel's early efforts, the animated fold in and fold out being at a rate of seconds per frame.
YouTube also very jumpy.
If I can find my old S3 Savage 4 PCI, might see if that has any more poke - best thing I have for a non-AGP