VOGONS

Reply 4920 of 27625, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I boil them whole. Keeping the seed in them, does Bring out a better taste. Just need to let people know they are still there. The starch you gave a Link to, is not something we can get here. I could use potato starch instead. Though the way I do it are just a tradition. You know.... Has to be the same every year.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4922 of 27625, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do something different with cherries. Sour cherries that is. I take about 2 pounds (1kg) of them when they come out in the summer, and place them unpitted in a large jar together with a couple of pounds of sugar. Cover the jar with a few layers of cheesecloth, just to keep the flies out, and place the jar in a sunny place. Shake the jar 1-2 times a day to evenly redistribute the contents. After about a week the cherries will release all their juice, which will make a syrup with the sugar and will begin fermenting. Once all the sugar is dissolved I add alcohol - about 1.5 pints (750ml) of 190 proof (95%) grain alcohol such as Everclear. This brings it to about 80 proof overall (40%). Put a lid on the jar and store in a cool place, with the cherries still in it. Drink moderately, or immoderately. 😀 Makes a nice aperitif. After all the liquor is gone, you can use the remaining fruit to make the best cherry pie in the world.

Also I don't throw away the pits from sour cherries that I eat. I break them open to extract the kernels (you can also buy the kernels under the name "mahlab" from middle-Eastern food markets, or from some spice stores like http://www.penzeys.com). Drop half a cup of those in a bottle of vodka and let stand for a couple of weeks, shaking every once in a while. Makes a nice cherry-flavored vodka. Combines very well with Dr.Pepper for a cherry-themed cocktail.

Arrowroot is used pretty much everywhere in the world by professional pastry chefs (I buy mine from a local Greek store) because not only it preserves delicate flavors, but also when it solidifies it becomes almost completely transparent, allowing you to see through the jelly you're making. This doesn't happen with potato or corn starch. Makes your sweets look nicer.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 4923 of 27625, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recorded Vangelis - Chariots of Fire on my SoundEngine + SC88VL to do some comparisons. The waveform on the soundengine seems much cleaner.
This is recorded directly from the mixer into the recording hardware. Just trying to find songs to test different sounds/samples on the soundengine and see how it compares to the Roland GM sounds.

(sc88 top two, emu sound engine bottom two)
GIP9jY4h.png

(the uncompressed image link) http://imgur.com/GIP9jY4

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 4924 of 27625, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday I swapped the old 4200rpm 80gb Sata1 drive out of a 1.6ghz CoreDuo HP Pavillion DV5000 Laptop for a 120gb PNY SSD. Threw on a legit copy of Windows 7, fought through the updating nightmares for a couple hours and it runs great! Christmas gift for a family friend who is in her 80's and needs a laptop. Kind of amazed the 7400GO has not burnt out yet, this thing has like 350,000 power on hours according to the original hard drive.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4925 of 27625, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Threw on a legit copy of Windows 7, fought through the updating nightmares for a couple hours

I came across a foolproof method of speeding up Win7 updates on PCs that have never been updated or been a long time since they've been updated. This method has worked every single time I tried it on a Win7 PC that is taking forever to update:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/f … c0-7f5096b36d0c

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4927 of 27625, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Even easier than just leaving the computer on for a few hours and watching tv? What sorcery is this?

If only. When a Win7 PC hasn't been updated since about September 2016 or earlier, manually checking for updates can take a day or longer. That little Windows Update Update in the link above does its magic and updates show up within a few minutes.

Reply 4928 of 27625, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played some Sony Playstation Ridge Racer on my new Orange Pi with the Lakka emulator 😀

It does have a few slow-downs, but for a $25 computer I'm very impressed. Old stuff like SNES or Genesis works perfectly of course.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4929 of 27625, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Threw on a legit copy of Windows 7, fought through the updating nightmares for a couple hours

I came across a foolproof method of speeding up Win7 updates on PCs that have never been updated or been a long time since they've been updated. This method has worked every single time I tried it on a Win7 PC that is taking forever to update:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/f … c0-7f5096b36d0c

Thanks! This is what I ended up doing but there were still a couple hiccups and error codes along the way. This is a much better guide than the one I followed.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4930 of 27625, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I played some Sony Playstation Ridge Racer on my new Orange Pi with the Lakka emulator 😀

It does have a few slow-downs, but for a $25 computer I'm very impressed. Old stuff like SNES or Genesis works perfectly of course.

I've been hooked on RetroPI on my Raspberry Pi3. Pretty sweet little box!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4931 of 27625, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scored a Packard Bell off craigslist last week, ordered a couple parts for it, fixed it up nicely. Unfortunately the battery is dead and it's a Dallas RTC soldered onto the board. But otherwise works well.

http://imgur.com/a/0RiEd

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 4932 of 27625, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I've been hooked on RetroPI on my Raspberry Pi3. Pretty sweet little box!

Yes. I have only tried Lakka yet, RetroPi seems a bit more work, and I like it simple 😊

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4933 of 27625, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ha, just started to get into working on the beige Pentium 100mhz maxhines I picked up last month. The motherboards are PCCHIPS M507 FX chipset boards w/cache modules installed.

Reply 4934 of 27625, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dude gave me an old ATX case, complete with an AMD K6-2/300, whatever the hell RAM was in there, and an ISA modem. AT power supply, floppy drive, weird 5.25" hard drive and CD-ROM drive.

So I took my ATX motherboard with the Intel Pentium 200MHz and the 40MB of RAM, made a Windows 95 floppy disk (out of a floppy with a few bad sectors, but it works) and I used the Auto-configure IDE in the BIOS to configure the 40GB Maxtor drive, but the software still can't see the drive. FDISK can't see the drive, FORMAT doesn't respond properly, and everything. Setup.exe on the Windows 95 AND my Windows 98 disks both dump back to the A: prompt when Windows says it can't create a temporary partition.

Any advice? Guess I should plug this drive into my Windows 98 system (40GB WD drives work perfectly fine there) and see if it even works, much less re-partition it with a small 1.2GB FAT16 partition or something... Trying to install Windows 95.

Video card is an ATI Rage 3D and a Diamond Monster 3D II 8MB accelerator card. MB has built-in sound.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 4935 of 27625, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been setting up software on my MAME machine. Still missing some fine tuning, before starting to buy parts for a real controller. Missing to add a wallpaper, empty the desktop for icons and set the taskbar to autohide. Then I need to add arcade inspired Win-Splash screens for both startup and shutdown. And make it autorun Maximus arcade on startup.

For testing the setup, I played Bubble Bobble II (MAME), 1944 The Loopmasters(MAME), 64'th Street (MAME), Blacing Angels (Neo-Geo) and Pacman (MAME).

Anyway.... Heres some pic's....

MAME-Project-01.jpg
Filename
MAME-Project-01.jpg
File size
113.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
MAME-Project-02.jpg
Filename
MAME-Project-02.jpg
File size
165.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4936 of 27625, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was searching for information about my dual core VIA CPU and I found this site. Now I am amazed because I finally have my place on earth 😁

So hello to all of you my fellow retro maniacs 😁
In my collection I have about 200 CPUs (from 386 to skylake) and 50 motherboards, everything in working conditon. My favs are Cyrix/VIA and Pentium Pro. I will present them all some day 😀
Merry Christmas!

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware

Reply 4937 of 27625, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kva wrote:
I was searching for information about my dual core VIA CPU and I found this site. Now I am amazed because I finally have my plac […]
Show full quote

I was searching for information about my dual core VIA CPU and I found this site. Now I am amazed because I finally have my place on earth 😁

In my collection I have about 200 CPUs (from 386 to skylake) and 50 motherboards, everything in working conditon. My favs are Cyrix/VIA and Pentium Pro. I will present them all some day 😀
Merry Christmas!

Welcome to the forums and happy holidays!

Reply 4938 of 27625, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kva wrote:
I was searching for information about my dual core VIA CPU and I found this site. Now I am amazed because I finally have my plac […]
Show full quote

Merry Christmas!

Dang. That's a lot of CPUs. About the same as Carlos S.M. Looking forward to seeing some of that retro love. 😀 Welcome to Vogons, dude! And Christmas Blessings as well.

Reply 4939 of 27625, by kva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My plan is to test them all in the same benchmarks/real usage scenarios and make something similar go anandtech bench database but with retro CPUs. From programming side I have already done that, now I am slowly working on taking the results. It is a lot of work 😉

Celeron Tualatin vs Celeron Conroe at equal clocks
Pentium Pro 256k vs Pentium Pro 1M vs Pentium II Overdrive!
VIA C3 vs VIA C7

My website all about old hardware