VOGONS

What retro activity did you get up to today?

Topic actions

Reply 5140 of 27784, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Duuuuude, I went through all pics on th99 and only found a couple boards that looked similar but then I noticed your board actua […]
Show full quote
Nvm1 wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Unfortunately most 486 boards don't have any information on them. Some do.. but most don't. Your best bet is to get one to POST and then type the Bios ID string into google and you should be able to find more information. That's how I look up most of my motherboards.

If they post this is usually the easiest way. If they don't post then it will be a bit more tricky.

Duuuuude, I went through all pics on th99 and only found a couple boards that looked similar but then I noticed your board actually has the model number on the PCB.

Simple google search and I got this 486/P1/P2 and several goodies

It seems to be a Soyo 025D2 and its model number is on the yellow sticker near the top ISA slot 😵

Here's one that looked similar
http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/S-T/32316.htm

Your other mystery board also has a yellow sticker with the model number on it and it seems to be this one http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/S-T/31348.htm

Now you owe me a beer! 😈
edit: Lets make it a sixpack 😈 😈 😈 😈 😈 😈
edit2: Pack of Belgian special beer would be even better 🤣!

Lol you really had some free time. True after seeing the first one it seems the stickers give away the model number, and on the Quality sticker is the shortname SY which then must mean Soyo. Unfortunatly there is not really matching TH99 entry for the Soyo 025D2 mobo although http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/S-T/32009.htm gets close.
And I have four german beer and one slovenian left but you would need to come and get em 🤣

Boards seem to have recovered well after the cleaning only the VLB one still has some leftovers on the KB connector 😠
Will clean it again and make some pictures then.

Reply 5141 of 27784, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nvm1 wrote:
Lol you really had some free time. True after seeing the first one it seems the stickers give away the model number, and on the […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
Duuuuude, I went through all pics on th99 and only found a couple boards that looked similar but then I noticed your board actua […]
Show full quote
Nvm1 wrote:

If they post this is usually the easiest way. If they don't post then it will be a bit more tricky.

Duuuuude, I went through all pics on th99 and only found a couple boards that looked similar but then I noticed your board actually has the model number on the PCB.

It seems to be a Soyo 025D2 and its model number is on the yellow sticker near the top ISA slot 😵

Your other mystery board also has a yellow sticker with the model number on it and it seems to be this one http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/S-T/31348.htm

Now you owe me a beer! 😈

Lol you really had some free time. True after seeing the first one it seems the stickers give away the model number, and on the Quality sticker is the shortname SY which then must mean Soyo. Unfortunatly there is not really matching TH99 entry for the Soyo 025D2 mobo although http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/S-T/32009.htm gets close.
And I have four german beer and one slovenian left but you would need to come and get em 🤣

Boards seem to have recovered well after the cleaning only the VLB one still has some leftovers on the KB connector 😠

Well I actually managed to check all the pics in slightly under 30 minutes 🤣
But the most important thing is that you're one step further now 😀

And the funny thing is, after I noticed the yellow sticker, I remembered having seen it before. I probably also have a 025D2 and I probably also never found a manual but I do remember having seen it before.

So where do you live? 😈

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5142 of 27784, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last night was a total b**** with some victory...

Got the AMD DX4-100 CPU in. Decided to swap it out when I got home, I also got the TAG RAM module (still waiting for my ISSI 512K L2 Cache RAM modules to come over on that looooong slow boat from china + now 128MB in 72 pin FP SIMMS) so I'm waiting to install that.

Got the AMD DX4 in there and it was a total B**** to get it to POST, the #1 problem being the RN16/17/18/19 configuration.....this little bastard broke......

IMG_20170214_011309831.jpg
FIC 486-PVT AM486DX4100SV8B.jpg

After getting all the other jumper settings fine, I stuck a soldered piece of wire into the pin hole for RN18 (which is where the "0 Ohm 8P4R Resistor Network" goes for an AMD DX4 100 chip), and the machine sprang to life, albeit with a corrupted screen because I decided to try out a =>33MHz BUS speed, bad idea, my S3 805 card did not like that so much. So I switched it back, and put everything back together in a hurry because...well....I had somewhere to be.

Came back later that night, and decided to take it for a spin. Had to reseat the hard disk controller (again) because well, you know how VLB bus slots can be. Reseated it, reconnected the floppy cable that came loose when I put it together, and viola, got it up and running. And running great it was. I decided to reboot and take advantage of that new Write-Back Cache and turn all the cache stuff to "turbo" mode - get the full blast power out of this thing. HOLY Frick this thing was fast - boot time into Windows For Workgroups was now around 10-15 seconds, even with all the crap it has to load (Winbond IDE driver and SBAWE64 being the two biggest item). Ran Retro City Rampage 486 W31x prototype and it ran pretty darned good, had to step away.

AfterDark's Ecologic kicked in as usual, no issues there. Machine went to sleep.

I came back, and woke it up from sleep, moved the cable for the audio to the unpowered line out (I have unpowered speakers and the AWE64 is bloody loud even on low settings), and as soon as I went back to restart the machine, it was totally locked up, could not bring it back with CTRL+ALT+DEL, could not bring it back with reset switch as it'd just leave me with a blank screen with the power saving message from my LCD, no beep codes I could hear as my speaker goes into the sound card - nothing.

Now I'd shifted the case a little at this point so this had me thinking my friction fit pin idea was not so smart, as it had probably shifted off course and disconnected a part of the resistor network in RN18 and caused the CPU to crash. I'm hoping this is not permanent damage as I have 512K L2 Cache and 128MB of RAM for this thing coming in.

So I pulled the darned thing apart again, and alas could not get the darned thing to POST no matter what I did. I tried soldering on pins to RN18, I tried making a pin out of solder, I tested continuity. I put in the DX2 and tried a whole manner of jumpering and putzing around to get the thing to POST, nothing.

I then went to Vintage Computer Federation Forums to ask if anyone had one of these, alas, one fellow thought it was a Resistor network, understandable. However, a continuity test and several resistance tests gave a reading of 0 resistance. Then a thread here referenced to the FIC 486-PIO3 which had a similar jumper setup for CPU. Seems they used some kind of Jumper network that uses this type of pinout....

pinout per conductivity test.jpg

Sounds like I might try the one guy's staple idea from his post awhile back, maybe just put some wire jumpers in where the connections would be, and get it to POST, then Gorilla Tape those suckers in place as I don't plan to upgrade again. Still it's aggravating that I can't get this thing to POST now for some odd reason.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 5143 of 27784, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Well I actually managed to check all the pics in slightly under 30 minutes lol But the most important thing is that you're one s […]
Show full quote
Nvm1 wrote:
Lol you really had some free time. True after seeing the first one it seems the stickers give away the model number, and on the […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
Show full quote

Now you owe me a beer! 😈

Well I actually managed to check all the pics in slightly under 30 minutes 🤣
But the most important thing is that you're one step further now 😀

And the funny thing is, after I noticed the yellow sticker, I remembered having seen it before. I probably also have a 025D2 and I probably also never found a manual but I do remember having seen it before.

So where do you live? 😈

Search for Meers in the Netherlands 😀 Where do you come from Tetrium?

I just tried searching for any info on the Soyo 025D2 motherboard or the Bios but except for one German forum where somebody got an AMD 586 to work at 133mhz and a google groups forum where somebody was also searching for a Bios that fixed the 500mb bios limit.

Reply 5144 of 27784, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Did some wiring on my piii setup I'm working on. Not one zip tie used.
Would you believe there is 7 fans in there?

Reply 5145 of 27784, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm paying customs fees for stuff I have bought.

25% VAT on the full auction price.
25% VAT on the $50 shipping cost.
~$16 administration fee.
Yet another ~$4 as there is 25% VAT on the administration fee!!!

All this on 20 year old computer parts most people would consider trash...

It's nice to live in the free world™.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5146 of 27784, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
I'm paying customs fees for stuff I have bought. […]
Show full quote

~$16 administration fee.

That what happens when you have politicians who wants to protect the local industry. If the local "industry" does not provide it, then tough luck. Everything used, or above a certain age should be exempted from this in my opinion.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5147 of 27784, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still continuing my major PITA with the FIC 486-PVT.....

Now I'm searching around for more FIC boards to get that 0 Ohm Resistor network part, particularly another 486 PVT if possible so I can have a backup/spare while I fix the other one (put an ad up on Amibay for that).

Tried my staple change last night, and seems I can't get either chip to work, starting to wonder maybe if enabling Cache or fast RAM timing blew something small like RAM or whatever. Removing the video card and the network card is not giving me much....maybe this Resistor network is faulty. It's got me thinking there is something more going on with the board than what I originally thought. I'm just hoping it's not a broken trace somewhere or some other problem related to swapping parts out on it so often - my 128MB of RAM is supposed to come in today and I have a 512MB Cache coming in as well in early March from China. I may try swapping the RAM just in case the old 70ns Fast Page blew under the stresses of the AMD DX4.

I tried pulling everything, RAM, Video Card, it powers on, the keyboard lights flash, just no POST, no beeps (listening via SoundBlaster passthrough as that's all I have), got me wondering what part of the POST before RAM or Video it's getting hung up on. May need to try the oven-reflow trick one day if it keeps going this way.

Testing continuity on the motherboard and the old broken 0 Ohm 8P4R Resistor Network, I am finding the readings to be 100% the same if I use the staples between the contacts exactly as they work inside the resistor (around 0.0003 Ohms if I use the 200 Ohm scale on my Multitester). So I'm starting to think it's not that. Did i also mention the staples are EXACTLY the right size to fit the holes and not short each other. So things should be working. I'm just hoping I did not have a bad DX4-100 CPU, but my DX2-66 won't POST Either.

I found that one of the P8/P9 connectors were hung up on one side when "fully connected" not sure what's going on there....

s-l1600.jpg

Oh well, bought one of these this morning to aid in my board level repairs - http://www.ebay.com/itm/380831560767?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - maybe if I get good I could start buying up some of those Bulgarian/Hungarian/Turkish/Whatever 486 boards that are going for 30-something bucks as well, I also kind of need this thing for work anyway too, might help to tell the OEM what's actually going WRONG with their stuff rather than "we swapped out a bunch of parts and determined it's this one just because all these other parts removed did not remove/reproduce the symptom". I always loved that I had one of these built into my ABIT AW9D board on my Pentium D machine.

Still I'm a tad ...uhh....aggravated because now the DX2 chip does not boot either using correct jumper settings, and I found out I had been using it on 4 volts instead of 5......odd.

Just hoping I can get this thing finished eventually and working so I can button it up and not bother with it again. I'm starting to miss having a working 486 on my desk and getting getting a bit annoyed with having this thing open in "breadboarding mode" next to me every day to try more insane things in hopes it will eventually POST.

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 5148 of 27784, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Started painting the Cooler Master case I picked up. Two layers of primer for the main chassis and some sanding now and most scratches are filled up, but the side panels still need quite a bit of work before they'll look decent...the first layer of primer turned up some really ugly scratches on one of the panels that weren't visible beforehand.

Reply 5149 of 27784, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got back home today after a shitty ride home and got some time free to work on the 486 some more......figured it out, now it POSTS.

- What initially happened was the DX2 adhesilve cooler I was using is NOT effective enough for a 486 DX4, even with the fan I added, so I burned that CPU chip out, another one on order.

- I have substituted the RNx Jumper with staples, they work, they were left in the AMD position - as I picked up another AMD DX4, it seems that this jumper on the 486-PVT is just so it shows the proper "name" on screen for a CPU. If I run it in this position with the Intel 80486 DX2-66, it just calls it "80486DX-2 @ 66MHz" rather than "Genuine Intel 80486 DX2 @ 66MHz" - same as the AMD DX4-100. So anyone else using a FIC 486 series board, and you jave a zero ohm, 8P4R resistor network that's actually just 4 jumpers in a package (use a VOM to verify) - staples work just fine, and they can't short because they ARE short and ridgid enough to be packed in a small, creative thing of Duct-Tape to make one strong module.

I also figured out why P9 was not "going home" it's because an old PSU connector got it's index pin stuck in there.....I did some "Editing" to make things a little easier too and now it all fits and runs like it should.

So now we POST.....and my 128MB of RAM came in today but it's stuck in the apartment office till tomorrow because I got off work late today, oh well.

I've decided to wait on putting the machine back together because I'm wating on THESE parts to come in now....

- The remaining Cache RAM chips, I put the 32Kx8 TAG in tonight, just need the 128Kx8 chips now for the full 512K L2 Cache, they're on a long, slow boat from China right now as it was the only source of 128Kx8 SDRAM I could find.

- Another AMD 80486 DX4-100SV8B w/ Writeback and 8K L1 Cache, I don't mind the 8K, not after how that last 100SV8B ran! I just might use this as my Quake computer as well as it being the Diablo-beast.

- Heatsink assembly, this will be the first one I ever used that has a plastic frame around it, which I like the idea of, plan to polish the ever loving crap out of the bottom of that thing and use some quality thermal compound - I don't want this one to die. Supeglue and/or old adhesive does not a good thermal compound make.

- Lastly is a diagnostic card - I've got 3 old PCs and 2 modern desktops that indeed DO have ISA or PCI slots - this will come in handy....and even moreso with all the HP Z-series and Dell Precision and whatnot at work that always seem to keep an obligatory PCI slot on the motherboard.

After this, It'll be time to V20 and 8087 the Tandy 1000A - and then I'll probably be posting more about gaming on these things than taking them apart and putting them back together again.

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 5150 of 27784, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I "fixed" an 8bit SB clone (a "Protac International Corp Audio Interface Card" ) after noticing that you can either populate it with clones of YM3812+DAC or the real ICs.
So I desoldered the old IC sockets , soldered new suitable for the real ICs and gave it a go - it works perfect. Tested the SB digital part as well and it seems it's solid, no detection issues and good sound quality.

before:
1Ehn3vhl.jpg

after:
GQxt1jql.jpg

zkvKmagl.jpg

v8ouecgl.jpg

I wonder what the A1268/A1269 ICs are on the bottom left corner, maybe some GAL/PAL clones? No idea.
Overall this card is a solid clone, glad I decided to take another look at it before I stored it - the clone OPL2 did have differences and I didn't like it because of that.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5151 of 27784, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A couple weeks ago I got an HP C3758A keyboard in the mail, my 2nd one. Several keys did not work, such as the left windows key and 5 of the numpad keys. Tore it open and had to use a pencil to retrace on the conductive layer. Works like a charm now.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 5152 of 27784, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I "fixed" an 8bit SB clone (a "Protac International Corp Audio Interface Card" ) after noticing that you can either populate it with clones of YM3812+DAC or the real ICs.
So I desoldered the old IC sockets , soldered new suitable for the real ICs and gave it a go - it works perfect. Tested the SB digital part as well and it seems it's solid, no detection issues and good sound quality.

Nice & tidy soldering there!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 5153 of 27784, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Skyscraper wrote:
I'm paying customs fees for stuff I have bought. […]
Show full quote

~$16 administration fee.

This why I refuse to buy anything from US Ebay. You pay tax on a new product sure, I am not paying tax on a item that's over 20 years old. The import tax handled by eBay is a total fraud Imo. The shipping prices are ridiculous as well, I am not paying $40-100 for shipping a small item under 1-2 kg, just so the seller has to pay less fees to ebay

Anyway to stay on topic, finished repairing and modding my AT case today. Added multiple rivets to strengthen the case and cut a out a piece at the front panel to accommodate a 120mm intake fan for cooling (this mini tower had 0 cooling fan mounts available), I will add another fan to the PSU for an active air flow in my case and replace the old fan inside the psu. This case will have a positive static pressure (no dust yay). Also added a easy to remove dus filter mount on the front of the case (a aluminum washable filter). The devil is in the details 🤣

Reply 5154 of 27784, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now i have checked my board, to boot POST-screen and into the BIOS. The pentium i'm gonna use is the lowest possible for socket 5, a P75.

For L2-cache, you can use 32kx8, 64kx8 and 128kx8 IC's.

Actuall now only 256k cache are installed. I don't think it's really necessary to have 512kb or even 1024kb cache... If i need liddle more speed, i could also a P166...

jmUEnpF.jpg

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 5155 of 27784, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Firing up my P2B-DS with dual PIII 450MHz to run some tests. If for nothing more, the view is great.

IMG_1623_zpsr6vdsdek.jpg

Reply 5156 of 27784, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday was another really shitty day outside of retro-computing, but let me put it this way, working on the 486 is Zen....not sure why.

Put it back together last night and decided to wait until all the other parts come in before I crack er' open again and put everything back together one last time. I got my 128MB of RAM in, (60ns 72 pin FP 32MB Modules X4) - with Parity off it's hilarious because it starts counting the Parity Chip as a part of RAM on this thing (LOL), it was stating I had 136MB of RAM (!!!!)....maybe I should pick up some 64MB Modules sometime.....256MB on a 486 would be downright evil (and I've heard of one that could go that high, but they are very very rare).

I'm not without some issues though, but I can live with them, at boot time, with Parity off in the BIOS, the screen is covered in green "U" except where the Memory counter is, 🤣. But it runs fine, it did get a memory error though at that point until I turned Parity on in the BIOS - which is kind of odd because I did not expect to have such a feature as FIC's board listings state it just uses regular non-parity RAM (my mistake), but apparently a good one as my board is weirdo and seems to do so. Now the only issue is after finding the base 640K only the RAM counter is shown - don't really care.....it's retro looking then like an old Deskpro!

Running under the new RAM, I have not been able to really push it much yet as I need to add HIMEM.SYS from a newer version of DOS/Windows or start using QEMM 8 again so I can utilize the full 128MB under 6.22 (QEMM's XMS drivers from version 7.14 up support 128MB, and later versions support more).

I also put my 32Kx8 Tag RAM chip in and pulled all the errant L2 Cache chips out, that way all I have to do is pull one card, change 2 jumpers, and plop the 32 pin DIPs into the 4 sockets and then I'll have my 512K Cache, however, waiting for those things to come from Shenzhen (or however you spell it) is taking awhile, it's been in the "posting" phase for over a week and a half now. Hope they don't get lost in shipping, but then IIRC, I bought a $11 Stratocaster guitar tremolo from China last year and it took awhile to come in too.

The parts coming in still are....
- 5X ISSI 128Kx8 - Still posting
- Another AMD 486 DX4-100SV8B, which I bought yesterday
- Diagnostic Card, this WILL be handy in the future
- 486 Heatsink, the kind with the plastic frame that goes around the bottom of the chip and the heatsink snaps into the top, I don't like the ones with the press-clips on each corner because I've had those come flying off when I move the machine, but I like the plastic frame type. My favorite of all time though were the ones Radio Shack used to sell that had an actual metal clip of some kind that held it down.

I did make a few config changes from before - the DX2-66 is now running at 5v instead of 3.3, I see a bit of a performance increase (tiny) but not much. Having 128MB of RAM in a 486 does cause some pausing during memory operations because it's got so much RAM to work with, but I do notice, despite only supporting 64MB, some slight performance increases but that could be the RAM speed (60ns vs. 70ns which is what I had in there before). Under the DX4 this thing should be wicked fast. I am toying....however, with putting some kind of squirrel cage fan instead of a straight up fan since the CPU is right under the drive cage, and then driving the output to the front vent of the case under the drives....or maybe to the speaker/fan hole in the front with yet another fan to drive the air out like a modern active cooling setup.

Now, you might be wondering, what am I actually doing with a 486 to warrant that much RAM, Processor, and L2 Cache - well, there are a few things.....

- I'm trying out using the 486 as a DAW.....there are some older programs, I got Quartz to work with it and not bad either, but I see ProTools, Cakewalk, and some others can work as well that may have even lower requirements than QuartzAudiomaster does....let's just say a Retro PC themed music project may be on the horizon......

- I'm also planning to experiment with Linux Distros, OS/2 2.1/Warp, and maybe some other O/S (FreeBSD being another one), maybe FreeDOS as well - I have 2 2.1GB HDD laying around that I can try out various O/S on and want to see how far I can push the performance of this machine within a modern context. Under 95 and WFWG, even in the previous incarnation, this was extremely stable and reliable, By now I could probably run 98SE on it or even 2000 Pro (though I'd have to do something about the Serial Mouse issue there - Win2K likes PS/2 mice and does not play happily with serial devices from my experience). Playing with O/Ses is part of the fun of the 486 era for me because it can run the gamut from early versions of DOS all the way to Windows 2000 Professional and some rather recent Command Line only Linux Distros and things like FreeBSD, or QNX...things with a lighter footprint.

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 5157 of 27784, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cleaning and sorting day. Some of my AGP cards, not going below FX from Nvidia and 9000 series from ATi.

Looks like a victory for ATi.

ATi row: 4670, 4650, 3850, X800, 9700 Pro, 9700, 9600, 9550, 9200
Nvidia row: 7800GS, 7600GS, 6800GT, 6600GT, FX5900XT, FX5600, FX5600XT, FX5200.

IMG_1626_zpsgimcygim.jpg

Reply 5158 of 27784, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

9 ATI cards listed, 8 pictured (unless one's in the box).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5159 of 27784, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

9 ATI cards listed, 8 pictured (unless one's in the box).

Well, I see 9 cards... The 4670 is on the box, not in.