VOGONS

Voodoo graphics cards, what's so special?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 65, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The classic 3Dfx logo is special.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 61 of 65, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
archsan wrote:

The classic 3Dfx logo is special.

I've always been fond of the Dreamcast Swirl. Simple, understated, yet immediately recognizable. Whatever graphic designer came up with that probably got a bonus. 😜

Reply 62 of 65, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm 43 years old and we had a video game shop during this period. In my opinion, 1 thing would have helped the DC more than anything else, a DVD drive. At the time it would have cut out much of the piracy that was running rampant. Also one of the big selling points was the DVD on the upcoming PS2, at the time stand alone players were running at the cost of the projected, then pre-order prices of the PS2. DVD was a big deal back then.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 63 of 65, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectricMonk wrote:

And the infamous "decelerators" used the CPU for most of the grunt work, especially the operations that weren't implemented (or were implemented improperly), so those tasks got shunted off to the CPU.

Seriously, go dig up articles that interview Scott Sellers, Scott Sellers, Gary Tarolli, and Ross Smith. They explain it better than I can.

So I spent some more hours going trough interviews and found nothing like that. If you can point me to the source, or give example of feature "decelerators" left to CPU as opposed to Voodoo Graphics, it would be much appreciated. I am trying to take you seriously.

Reply 64 of 65, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Putas wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:

And the infamous "decelerators" used the CPU for most of the grunt work, especially the operations that weren't implemented (or were implemented improperly), so those tasks got shunted off to the CPU.

Seriously, go dig up articles that interview Scott Sellers, Scott Sellers, Gary Tarolli, and Ross Smith. They explain it better than I can.

So I spent some more hours going trough interviews and found nothing like that. If you can point me to the source, or give example of feature "decelerators" left to CPU as opposed to Voodoo Graphics, it would be much appreciated. I am trying to take you seriously.

I can't find the exact quotes online. I'll probably have to torrent old back issues of PC Gamer, Maximum PC, etc... from that time frame, to find the quotes I was talking about. It was around the same time the nVidia PR person got caught telling porky pies about TNT or TNT2.

This link has nothing to do with the quotes, but I did find an interesting 3DFX Oral History interview with Scott Sellers, Gary Tarolli, and Ross Smith. It's 2.5 hours long, and I haven't watched the entire thing (dealing with GNS3, Virtualbox, PRTG, and ProfSims is my top priority right now).

When I can find and scan the quotes I'm talking about, i'll upload them. If I can't, I'll publicly admit I'm wrong. Fair enough?