Topic actions

Reply 6240 of 53035, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:
FeedingDragon wrote:

OK, I didn't leave it available making up my mind this time. Just bought a CM-32L the moment it popped up.

£50 is actually a great deal for a CM-32L!

Holy crap that's an awesome deal!!!

Reply 6241 of 53035, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
GeorgeMan wrote:
Today I got a DFI (?) 586ITXD revD ATX i430TX motherboard with Plastic P166MMX, a QDI Titanium IB+ AT i430TX with Ceramic P166MM […]
Show full quote

Today I got a DFI (?) 586ITXD revD ATX i430TX motherboard with Plastic P166MMX, a QDI Titanium IB+ AT i430TX with Ceramic P166MMX, as well as an SB32 ISA. 😁

old_zpse08992d8.jpg

Nice to see you decide going to save route.. Because if choose two different form factors..

I failed to understand this, can you please explain it a bit? 😀

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 6242 of 53035, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got hold of a pretty nice Baby AT case for my upcoming 486 project. Just needed a bit of cleaning and it came with a free Socket 7 motherboard with AMD K6/233 CPU 😀 Also a Soundblaster clone called AdvanceLogic ALS100 Plus, and S3 Trio64 DX with (I think) 4MB.

486.jpg
Filename
486.jpg
File size
61.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Fitted the 486 AMI motherboard, added external CR2032 battery and a hard drive so now it's almost up and running.

Reply 6244 of 53035, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:
bjt wrote:
FeedingDragon wrote:

OK, I didn't leave it available making up my mind this time. Just bought a CM-32L the moment it popped up.

£50 is actually a great deal for a CM-32L!

Holy crap that's an awesome deal!!!

Yes, it was a very good deal 😀 Last few times I've seen one, the lowest price (that I can recall,) was at least twice that "before" shipping. The actual last time, it was over 3 times. The only discomfort really, is that with my fixed income, I shouldn't have bought it. Going to be really tight till the 3rd 🙁 But I just couldn't bear the thought of seeing another one (at such a good price too,) slipping through my fingers.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6245 of 53035, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just came across a Roland MT-32 (Old Model) if anyone is interested. Canada & US only, $125 BIN 1 day left on no reserve $55 starting bid auction.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6246 of 53035, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just out of curiosity, did a MT-32 search and got the following results:

Old Model $154 BIN
Rack Mountable $69.94 BIN - No PSU, untested
Old Model $40 BIN - No PSU, untested
Old Model $125 BIN / $55 Starting BID - Same one I listed in previous post
Old Model $49.99 BIN
New Model $99.99 BIN
New Model $175 BIN
Old Model $124 BIN No PSU, working

They seem to be more common than I remember now... Already have one (Old Model,) so I stopped pricing them quite a while back.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6247 of 53035, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pojo wrote:

I got hold of a pretty nice Baby AT case for my upcoming 486 project. Just needed a bit of cleaning and it came with a free Socket 7 motherboard with AMD K6/233 CPU 😀 Also a Soundblaster clone called AdvanceLogic ALS100 Plus, and S3 Trio64 DX with (I think) 4MB.

486.jpg

Fitted the 486 AMI motherboard, added external CR2032 battery and a hard drive so now it's almost up and running.

The design of the plastic moulding is nice, but the quality is terrible. This was one of my very first cases (mine had the LED 7 seg display too) and I dumped it as soon as possible.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6248 of 53035, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, I doubt anything could be quite as terrible as the Tsunami Capricorn case I used to have. It looked great, but the PCI slot dividers twisted when I removed the slot covers no matter how careful I was, and, I kid you not, both USB ports at the front disintegrated, one doing so in a shower of sparks - never seen that on ANYTHING else. The side panels had all of the structural rigidity of cardboard as well. Then again, at least it didn't slice my thumb open whilst trying to remove a metal blanking plate in one of the 5.25" bays, unlike its replacement...

Reply 6249 of 53035, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

pojo, great case, I like its form-factor. I call them baby tower for some reason 😀 Their height is exactly twice the height of a desktop "crocodile" case, makes them easy to store and place.

Reply 6250 of 53035, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Anonymous Coward: Yes, fully agree that it's a very cheap case. I may switch if I find something better and use this for the Socket 7 board that was in it, but it will do just fine in the meantime. 😀 Too bad mine is missing the display.

@RacoonRider: Thanks, I like them a lot too. It's extremely light so easy to move around as well. 🤣

Reply 6251 of 53035, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just picked up a FIC PA-2013 Super Socket 7 Motherboard (2MB cache version). Nice thing about this board is that it's an ATX form factor. So you can go from a K6-III+ all the way down to a Pentium-75 without having to worry about finding an AT case or a PS/2 pin header to slot adapter or any of that if you don't want to. It also came with 256MB of PC-100 SDRAM and a K6-III/400 that weren't advertised. To top it all off, it booted straight out of the box.

I already had one of these boards (1MB cache version), but got this to get a spare and was surprised to find out it was one of the rare 2MB versions... Score!

FIC-PA-2013.jpg

Reply 6252 of 53035, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Word of warning, don't use the Agp slot on that fic PA-2013 board.
Unless its a very low power card like a GF2 MX.
AGP Voodoo3 ruined one of the boards I owned, voltage regulators are not up to agp spec.

Reply 6253 of 53035, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:

Word of warning, don't use the Agp slot on that fic PA-2013 board.
Unless its a very low power card like a GF2 MX.
AGP Voodoo3 ruined one of the boards I owned, voltage regulators are not up to agp spec.

I've had an original Radeon 64 SDRAM in mine for several years without issue. Not sure where that rates on the current draw scale.

Reply 6254 of 53035, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its Probably ok with the Radeon if it lasted that long.
I just would stay away from any high draw AGP cards.
Really not my favorite board, the second one I have has L2 cache issues above 83mhz and has to be disabled 🤣 .
It went back into storage recently, since I have a better sis based socket 7 system in active use now.

Reply 6255 of 53035, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh dear, a high-end super seven board... I wish there were more of them in Russia. The only one I've found locally (for free, otherwise I would not want it) is a crappy Acorp 5ALI61. The IT department of our plant never trusted AMD, the only reason they got this board was to run P233MMX. They liked this CPU a lot back in 1999. They had small trust in Celeron after Covington core and would rather buy an outdated P1. I still believe K6-II was cheaper than P233MMX.

Reply 6258 of 53035, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
QBiN wrote:

Just picked up a FIC PA-2013 Super Socket 7 Motherboard (2MB cache version). Nice thing about this board is that it's an ATX form factor. So you can go from a K6-III+ all the way down to a Pentium-75 without having to worry about finding an AT case or a PS/2 pin header to slot adapter or any of that if you don't want to.

Maybe I'm wrong and forgot something but the 50 MHz FSB (P75 (1.5x50) and P100 (2x50)) wasn't supported on my FIC PA-2013... Unfortunately can't retest this, the MB is long ago dead (the layer cracked when I connected an IDE cable).
I wish there was something so universal for S370/S478 (PCI + ISA + AGP2x-8x + all compatible CPUs support)...

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2015-01-21, 06:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6259 of 53035, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong and forgot something but the 50 MHz FSB (P75 (1.5x50) and P100 (2x50)) wasn't supported on my FIC PA-2013... Unfortunately can't retest this, the MB is long ago dead (the layer cracked when I connected an IDE cable).

Nope. You are correct. I spoke too soon. On second glance, the lowest CPU speed it supports is 66MHz FSB and a 1.5x multiplier. Not an issue for me as I the lowest P5 processor I have currently is a P-166. If I ever need to support something lower, I have a Tyan Tomcat S1563D (i430HX chipset) laying around I can use.