VOGONS

Reply 6300 of 27721, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:
probnot wrote:

Saw a 286 at the recycler, but decided to pass. It was a little older than I like playing with (honestly haven't touched one since I was 6 or 7) and I'm running out of space! It sounds like the will be re-selling it, so I'm sure it will find a good home.

FAIL

The correct action is to get it, and part it out to others.

TBH, I don't know anyone locally who would want it (and all the local retro PC guys know this place, so someone will pick it up). Plus I've never sold/shipped things online, and I'm not into starting.

Reply 6301 of 27721, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it isn't hard. Honestly, I do it often. Cases and whole systems aren't worth shipping unless they are something odd. eg IBM ps/2's, special proprietary cases.

I buy used anti-static bags on ebay by the pound. I save peanuts and bubblewrap from things I receive.

The parts are worth re-selling, and ebay will help you charge proper shipping.

if you want a full helping hand, let me know, but I use the money from the things I sell, to buy new things. I sold my last scsi/ethernet adapter to pay for that knockoff model 80 case.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6302 of 27721, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:
it isn't hard. Honestly, I do it often. Cases and whole systems aren't worth shipping unless they are something odd. eg IBM p […]
Show full quote

it isn't hard. Honestly, I do it often. Cases and whole systems aren't worth shipping unless they are something odd. eg IBM ps/2's, special proprietary cases.

I buy used anti-static bags on ebay by the pound. I save peanuts and bubblewrap from things I receive.

The parts are worth re-selling, and ebay will help you charge proper shipping.

if you want a full helping hand, let me know, but I use the money from the things I sell, to buy new things. I sold my last scsi/ethernet adapter to pay for that knockoff model 80 case.

Now I regret not asking how much it was...oh well. Not sure the next I'll be back there, but next time I'll grab it if the price is right.

Reply 6303 of 27721, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
Tearing down a keyboard and cleaning every part in hot soapy water is really therapeutic. […]
Show full quote

Tearing down a keyboard and cleaning every part in hot soapy water is really therapeutic.

hfgf9Ggm.jpg

SO MUCH BETTER.

Looks fantastic. I was soaping up my Gateway 450 plastic panels today as well. Bleach for the ink spots. Some ink is so ingrained into the white plastic I can't get it to even fade, but all the plastics look much better regardless. Got the case cut with my Dremel so the SFX PSU now sits flush. Will probably file down the metal tomorrow to give it a polished look. Of course putting together a video as I upgrade and restore this Gateway 450.

I did pick up a few Pentium III stickers from Hong Kong on Ebay. The one on the Gateway is very faded.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/intel-pentium-III-sti … WWWFc4rqCeCAkrw

Reply 6304 of 27721, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

Looks fantastic. I was soaping up my Gateway 450 plastic panels today as well. Bleach for the ink spots. Some ink is so ingrained into the white plastic I can't get it to even fade, but all the plastics look much better regardless. ...

Magic erasers! or use a toothbrush and a baking soda paste. worked great for the keyboard.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6305 of 27721, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Looks fantastic. I was soaping up my Gateway 450 plastic panels today as well. Bleach for the ink spots. Some ink is so ingrained into the white plastic I can't get it to even fade, but all the plastics look much better regardless. ...

Magic erasers! or use a toothbrush and a baking soda paste. worked great for the keyboard.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks.

Reply 6306 of 27721, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I listened to REAL Wing Commander orchestral music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4OsjTqU4w8
The only thing they didn't get right was the hanging notes.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6307 of 27721, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Mixing magic eraser and bleach based cleaner always worked for me. Just be careful with your clothes. Not to mention it will destroy any foil stickers on the case. One swipe will turn a P-III sticker into a piece of aluminum foil.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 6308 of 27721, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not 100% sure this counts as retro. But considering the age of the equipment, it might.

Spent two or more hours on the phone with comcast activating an old N900 gateway. Ended up needing a tech visit on saturday. Once I hung up, I was able to get in another route and activate it within minutes.

Also, I installed and played a few CD-ROM games on my "486" (AMD 133?) toughbook. Command & Conquer is nothing until you've played it on a toughbook (i.e. real military hardware). It's like sitting at a field console. Getting briefings from Kane himself and using a real battle console.

Reply 6309 of 27721, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally soldered a PC/PCI connector to one of my ESS Solo-1 PCI sound cards (Terratec). Didn't work at first, but with a newer initializer (2.31D) it detected PC/PCI on my Intel 810 based GA-6WMM7. 😀

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 6310 of 27721, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick weird question. Iv got a nice spare matx case and some recently abandoned 2004ish era emachines 478 guts in very good working order. Who would be interested in a project of constructing a 98se/xp/2k and or gaming pc?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6311 of 27721, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not PC-related, but since the original XBOX is PIII-based, I dug up this old console of mine (v1.4 with Xecuter2Pro), added some fresh thermal paste, replaced the (then-already-replaced) 40GB WD with a 80GB one, installed EvoX and XBMC4XBOX 3.5.3 and streamed some shoutcast just because 😜 I really liked the Team UIX dashboard which I had back then, because it looked like the original Microsoft one, but XBMC is the way to go now. Looking into how to neutralize the (luckily minor) damage caused by the supercap holding the time; maybe I'll replace it with a CR2032 battery holder and a diode. Plans: find a larger HDD, install Visionary 5 and CoinOPs 8 Massive Premium for some arcade goodness.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 6312 of 27721, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found some 80's candy in a shop (don't worry, not produced in the 80's), and what better way to eat these, than playing a round of bobsled in Epyx Winther Games on a C64. 😜

nostalgi80.jpg
Filename
nostalgi80.jpg
File size
179.91 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6313 of 27721, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:

Finally soldered a PC/PCI connector to one of my ESS Solo-1 PCI sound cards (Terratec). Didn't work at first, but with a newer initializer (2.31D) it detected PC/PCI on my Intel 810 based GA-6WMM7. 😀

How has this board been to you so far? Not many people here ever bothered with i810, but there are a few kinda-interesting ones out there.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6314 of 27721, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have just finished a 386 build, wich someone contacted me in order to purchase.
386sx33 + 387, Trident9000c, SB16, controller, CD-Rom, harddrive and floppy.
The case is one of those really early ATX cases from around 1998/00 and it matches
the machine nicely. Beige, big and thick plates.
The board can be mounted a bit more secure compared to an standard AT case, and
I have used an ATX to AT adaptor, in order to be able to give the machine a 300W PSU.
It even has one of the real pc-speaker and not a beeper. Good sturdy machine.

386-Build-01.jpg
Filename
386-Build-01.jpg
File size
145.34 KiB
Views
File license
386-Build-02.jpg
Filename
386-Build-02.jpg
File size
225.46 KiB
Views
File license
386-Build-03.jpg
Filename
386-Build-03.jpg
File size
256.85 KiB
Views
File license
386-Build-04.jpg
Filename
386-Build-04.jpg
File size
266.17 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6315 of 27721, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

How has this board been to you so far? Not many people here ever bothered with i810, but there are a few kinda-interesting ones out there.

I think it's fun to play with, but you you have to accept it for what it is. For me one of the best features is the integrated VGA as I never have to look around for a graphic card to get the board running (yes, I change cards around a lot). The board would have been kind of worthless to me without a PC/PCI connector, so I'm glad I hacked that in. Some i810 boards got both PC/PCI and ISA which is interesting, so if you don't care for an AGP slot the i810 isn't that bad.

I tried my VIA C3 Samuel 2 on the GA-6WMM7, but it frooze at the BIOS screen. Think it would been a great combo.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 6316 of 27721, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got started on my first 486 class build. Using a universal case, but I sill need an I/O shield and a PSU or adapter.

Specs are:
Shuttle HOT-433
AM486 DX4-120
24MB
ATI Mach 64 PCI
3COM PCI ethernet (can't remember model)
Adaptec PCI SCSI w/ boot rom (same)
SB16 CT2230

Should be a good system when it's done. It'll be a win95 build so hopefully my DX2 system won't get neglected. Any advice?

Reply 6317 of 27721, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had plans today to reuse an old Compaq Presario 5420 Micro ATX case, which contained a "dead" Super Socket 7 motherboard. Before I did the transplant however, I decided to unscrew everything, clean out all the dust & debris and give it 1 final test. Would you believe, the "dead" board now lives - a nice little unexpected bonus! 😎

So this little PC shall now remain as-is, I just need to scrounge together some parts to replace those I pilfered when I assumed it was dead. Found a spare Maxtor 6.4GB IDE drive (which may or may not be dead/dying, gonna test that soon) and 160MB SDRAM - which constitutes the last of my spare SDRAM, so I will have to buy more chips at some point.

The system spec as it currently stands:

Compaq Presario 5420
Gigabyte GA-5SMM, Super Socket 7 Motherboard
SIS 530 Chipset
AMD K6-2 400MHz
100MHz FSB
160MB PC100 SDRAM
6.4GB IDE HDD
SIS 6306 8MB Onboard Graphics
ESS Solo-1 Onboard Sound

mmJVsob.jpg

The case certainly needs a bit of cleaning. I found a matching colour Floppy Drive in 1 of my parts drawers, to fill the gap at the front.

I have a spare PCI Nvidia TNT2 M64 that I may put in. Not an amazing card, but should be better than the onboard SIS. I might also try upgrading the CPU, as I have a slightly faster K6-2 500 being underutilized in another S7 system, so they may be an easy swap for each other.

Reply 6318 of 27721, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:
Had plans today to reuse an old Compaq Presario 5420 Micro ATX case, which contained a "dead" Super Socket 7 motherboard. Befor […]
Show full quote

Had plans today to reuse an old Compaq Presario 5420 Micro ATX case, which contained a "dead" Super Socket 7 motherboard. Before I did the transplant however, I decided to unscrew everything, clean out all the dust & debris and give it 1 final test. Would you believe, the "dead" board now lives - a nice little unexpected bonus! 😎

So this little PC shall now remain as-is, I just need to scrounge together some parts to replace those I pilfered when I assumed it was dead. Found a spare Maxtor 6.4GB IDE drive (which may or may not be dead/dying, gonna test that soon) and 160MB SDRAM - which constitutes the last of my spare SDRAM, so I will have to buy more chips at some point.

The system spec as it currently stands:

Compaq Presario 5420
Gigabyte GA-5SMM, Super Socket 7 Motherboard
SIS 530 Chipset
AMD K6-2 400MHz
100MHz FSB
160MB PC100 SDRAM
6.4GB IDE HDD
SIS 6306 8MB Onboard Graphics
ESS Solo-1 Onboard Sound

The case certainly needs a bit of cleaning. I found a matching colour Floppy Drive in 1 of my parts drawers, to fill the gap at the front.

I have a spare PCI Nvidia TNT2 M64 that I may put in. Not an amazing card, but should be better than the onboard SIS. I might also try upgrading the CPU, as I have a slightly faster K6-2 500 being underutilized in another S7 system, so they may be an easy swap for each other.

It's funny how often that happens. Mostly when you pick something up just for the chassis. As far as the TNT2 M64 goes, it should be a perfect match for the system unless you want to spend the $$$ on a pci voodoo 3/5