3D Accelerator Video Captures

Topic actions

Reply 81 of 185, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Indeed, that is definately how it should be done. The VIA combo box is my attempt to squeeze in an oddball CPU/graphics combo, just to see how the underdog compares on the system level.

My recent PCX2 footage was on a Pentium IV Northwood 2.6, exceeding the potential max-out of the card roughly by four times. This setup allows me to throw in the more demanding games on there easier

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 82 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've added RIVA 128 videos.

Note how the chip has accuracy issues causing polygon seams in every app. It also has a tendency to stutter.

On a side note, Youtube simply doesn't offer enough bitrate to capture the detail in these videos. It removes a lot of, for example, dithering noise and such. With RIVA 128, I suggest looking at the 3D comparison sticky thread's screenshots for more detail. NV3 has some of the noisiest texture dithering.

Real RIVA 128 image quality. (lossless PNGs) Blow these up to fullscreen.
3bfb85180815280.jpg b09e28180815284.jpg

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-03-21, 03:06. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 84 of 185, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Swaaye: Try Riva128 with Quake3 for Dithering. AFAIR it is very good visible there while the Riva128 delivers near playable fps (at least I was surprised).

Oh and let me add this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH6ckjRPgQg
Racing games with keyboard control...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 86 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can play NFS3 the best with a keyboard, but people whine when they see it, so I record with my old Logitech Wingman Rumblepad. 😀

Today's video splashdown contains footage of the mysterious budget contender, SiS 315. This 128MB specimen with an excitingly high end looking board, is pretty interesting. It even supports DirectX5 table fog for those who care about that.

Joytech Apollo 3D Thrill 315 Pro Deluxe AGP 128MB!!!!
DirectX7 chip with HW T&L
Its DVI doesn't work properly so VGA was captured.
4552ae181385478.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL995DE461767BFB71

Reply 87 of 185, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:
elianda wrote:

Racing games with keyboard control...

The way every game is meant to be played 😁

And here's me thinking that cars are meant to be driven with steering wheels and pedals... 😳

Reply 88 of 185, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
I can play NFS3 the best with a keyboard, but people whine when they see it, so I record with my old Logitech Wingman Rumblepad. […]
Show full quote

I can play NFS3 the best with a keyboard, but people whine when they see it, so I record with my old Logitech Wingman Rumblepad. 😀

Today's video splashdown contains footage of the mysterious budget contender, SiS 315. This 128MB specimen with an excitingly high end looking board, is pretty interesting. It even supports DirectX5 table fog for those who care about that.

Joytech Apollo 3D Thrill 315 Pro Deluxe AGP 128MB!!!!
DirectX7 chip with HW T&L
Its DVI doesn't work properly so VGA was captured.
4552ae181385478.jpg

How does that card compare to a GeForce 256?

Reply 89 of 185, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

And here's me thinking that cars are meant to be driven with steering wheels and pedals... 😳

Ha, I'm still waiting for the mod that will allow me to use my keyboard with my car. Just press the Up arrow to accelerate. 🤣

The SIS 315 seems like a great budget card for the time, especially when compared to SIS's previous endeavours. I used to have a Celeron 900 with an ASUS motherboard that used a SIS630 chipset. It came with an IGP called SiS 305 and the drivers were absolutely bollocks. No HW T&L support either (which was half expected). I remember trying to get Unreal II to work on that machine and it always crashed when loading the first level or so. Heck I couldn't even run some older games until I got a much newer driver. It was kind of a pain!

But the SiS 315 seems to be a bit less powerful than a GeForce 2MX (which itself is about as powerful as GeForce 256 SDR right?). Impressive!

Reply 90 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've used some other SiS stuff too, like SiS530, 6326 and a K8 chipset (7xx?) with an IGP called Mirage that does DX8 very slowly and partially properly.

315 seems competent enough. The main oddity is how sometimes the texture filtering looks point sampled. Other times it looks great though.

Reply 91 of 185, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did another small capture, you can view it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3GjPgb6a3s

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 92 of 185, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I've used some other SiS stuff too, like SiS530, 6326 and a K8 chipset (7xx?) with an IGP called Mirage that does DX8 very slowly and partially properly.

315 seems competent enough. The main oddity is how sometimes the texture filtering looks point sampled. Other times it looks great though.

Mirage is based on/related to Xabre if I'm not mistaking and it does Vertex Shaders in software mode. Which is allowed according to DX8 specifications but softwaremakers basicly ignored it so a lot of patches had to be made to let Xabre work correctly 🤣

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 93 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

I did another small capture, you can view it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3GjPgb6a3s

Good stuff!

Would like mind renaming it to "PowerVR PCX2 (Unreal)" so I can use it in my large playlist more effectively?

Reply 94 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NitroX infinity wrote:

Mirage is based on/related to Xabre if I'm not mistaking and it does Vertex Shaders in software mode. Which is allowed according to DX8 specifications but softwaremakers basicly ignored it so a lot of patches had to be made to let Xabre work correctly 🤣

This SiS 315 reports as a Xabre in its OpenGL info too.

The Intel GMA 9xx IGPs are also problematic because of their software vertex shader stuff. For example, Morrowind and Max Payne 2 won't recognize them as DX8-capable. It's nice that IGPs have progressed so far in the past few years.

Reply 95 of 185, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So here we have another surprise: S3 Trio3D running 3DMark2001SE. This is a S3 Virge core.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMA6xdQq1o4

Next thing coming up is some more footage and even some Unreal D3D gameplay on this S3 Virge core.

Youtube Channel

Reply 97 of 185, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some more hot action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNiYRcm3NbE

Alpha blending seems just dithering.

Youtube Channel

Reply 98 of 185, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

So here we have another surprise: S3 Trio3D running 3DMark2001SE. This is a S3 Virge core.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMA6xdQq1o4

Next thing coming up is some more footage and even some Unreal D3D gameplay on this S3 Virge core.

Huh, so you managed to find drivers that avoided many of the bugs swaaye's recording showed, interesting.

The Trio3D uses the ViRGE DX/GX core, not the 325, right? (or GX2?)

I wonder if swaaye is using some of the older/buggier DirectX drivers in this case. (Putas mentioned that the D3D drivers he used ended up having performance about as good as native S3D renderers for similar games -and in the case of the ViRGE MX, there were even drivers supporting D3D accelration of Unreal, and at playable framerates too -at 320x240 averaging 20 FPS for a 55 MHz ViRGE, assuming the CPU is fast enough)

It's also interesting to note that, not only did the ViRGE support acceleration in relatively high resolutions for the time (well beyond the VooDoo 1 -though more similar to the Rage), but also supported 32-bit color (8888 ARGB) and both 16 and 32-bit alpha textures. (4444 and 8888 ARGB -plus 1555 ARGB too, but that's just a 1-bit on/off alpha for plain 15-bit RGB plus 100% transparent)

The image quality at 32-bits is significantly improved too, avoiding the odd matte/boarder artifacts seen on alpha textures in 16-bit rendering, as well as avoiding dithering altogether. (and 32-bit rendering doesn't seem to be that much slower either)
Many games actually look better at 320x240x32 than 640x480x16 and definitely run much faster (only moderately slower than 320x240x16 -and much better looking) and that would probably be the most practical/competitive setting for the ViRGE against its contemporaries. (offering good image quality and truecolor with fairly decent speed but low resolution -albeit the same low resolution that was standard for game consoles until the Dreamcast -and with 32-bit color and lack of storage and RAM constraints, the ViRGE would tend to look better than most N64 games -smoother color and better texture detail with similar resolution and effects quality)

Here's some nice comparison shots from Putas:
vintage3d.org/images/DX/incoming 16.png
vintage3d.org/images/DX/incoming 32.png

Last edited by kool kitty89 on 2012-03-26, 18:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 99 of 185, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've uploaded a bunch of Matrox Millennium G200 videos.

I had some problems capturing this card. The VGA signal changes in 3D mode compared to 2D mode and the capture card doesn't like it. Sometimes you will see distortion, mostly in the form of what looks like a momentary reverse of frame output. Very strange. It works fine on my LCD.

This is the G200 that gets blurry at high refresh rates / resolutions. Either something is wrong with the VGA circuitry on my card or this is just how G200s were. It's not blurry at 60 Hz at the resolutions in the videos though.

Elianda if you can name your videos like "video card (game/app name)" they will fit in well with the giant playlist I am working on. I name them like this so they sort by card.

Leileilol, I would like to add your videos too if you'd like to name them similarly.