VOGONS

Reply 80 of 119, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexanrs wrote:

I'm adding manufacturer, AGP support (at least one board in the list does not have an AGP port) and number of PCI slots. Is there anything else that should be there?

I'd prefer not to add too many separate lists, as this would make the list very chaotic and much harder to use when every little exception get it's own list.
In this case maybe a table which can be sorted may be of more practical use?
And be careful you don't overwrite a newer version of the list with an older version you yourself updated, that would make things a mess 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 81 of 119, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm compiling everything in an Excel sheet, and then will create a table (wikipedia-like) that should make everything easier to search. Each feature (AGP, PCI, ISA, Tualatin support) is a separate field already. But I have to go board by board to check some info, so it will take a while.

Reply 82 of 119, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexanrs wrote:

I'm compiling everything in an Excel sheet, and then will create a table (wikipedia-like) that should make everything easier to search. Each feature (AGP, PCI, ISA, Tualatin support) is a separate field already. But I have to go board by board to check some info, so it will take a while.

Thanks for the heads-up.
In that case I'd better leave you to it and not update the list for now as you're busy converting all data to a spreadsheet 😀

Just note that I updated the list like 10 minutes ago based on the feedback PCBONEZ gave me.

But for now the list will stay the way it is, as in it's current form it's already useful.

edit:
Personal reminder for myself and anyone interested, heres a couple links to VIA C3 threads on Vogons.
Cyrix III (i.e. VIA C3) for vintage gaming?
Graphics card for VIA C3 1200 build
SetMul - Multiplier control for VIA C3 / AMD K6+7+8 Mobile / Cyrix 5x86
VIA C3/C7 Discussion

Report spammers here!

Reply 83 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

About the 2 FIC boards you mention. Both seem to be the same, but the FIC FR33E-L seems to lack the ISA slot (it has just solder dots) where the FIC FR33E seems to have the ISA slot. Not sure about the OB LAN, but that's not relevant for this list anyway.

FR33E and FR33E-L are the same board. There were multiple variants of this board.
For some reason variations other than LAN weren't important enough to assign letters.
They show the "L" when it has onboard LAN option and it has no bearing on the ISA slot's presence.
My "pet" board is a FR33E-L with ISA, with sound, and obviously with LAN.
I have another FR33E-L with no ISA, with LAN and IIRC no sound.
I've seen other variations as well.
In addition to boxed boards FIC sold these in a complete system called a Cimpel.
I have a Cimpel. That's where my pet board came from. It is a small mini-system with a horizontal case.
There was also a FR33 (no E) that did not support Tualatin.
I dunno if it's still there but FICs site used to have an interesting error in their supported CPU list for this board.
It said: Coppermine 1.4GHz 512k cache.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-12-23, 13:48. Edited 2 times in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 84 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

I'm adding manufacturer, AGP support (at least one board in the list does not have an AGP port) and number of PCI slots. Is there anything else that should be there?

Perhaps actually state the chipset?

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 86 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More Data
Supermicro, P3TDDE, [Dual], Apollo Pro 266T, 4x AGP, 5xPCI, no ISA, PC100/133-Reg [IDE-RAID]
Supermicro, P3TDDR, [Dual], Apollo Pro 266T, no AGP, 3xPCI, no ISA, DDR200/266-Reg [SCSI]
Supermicro, P3TDE6-G, [Dual], Serverset III HE-SL, 2x AGP Pro, 2xPCI-X(3.3v) 4xPCI-X(5v), no ISA, PC100/133-Reg [SCSI]
Supermicro, P3TDL3, [Dual], Serverset III LE, no AGP, 2xPCI-X(3.3v) 4xPCI, 1 ISA, PC100/133-Reg [SCSI]
Supermicro, P3TDLE, [Dual], Serverset III LE, no AGP, 2xPCI-X(3.3v) 4xPCI, 1 ISA, PC100/133-Reg
AOpen, DX34R-U, [Dual], Apollo Pro 133T, 4x AGP, 5xPCI, no ISA, PC100/133 [IDE-RAID]

Reply 87 of 119, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
FR33E and FR33E-L are the same board. There were multiple variants of this board. For some reason variations other than LAN were […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

About the 2 FIC boards you mention. Both seem to be the same, but the FIC FR33E-L seems to lack the ISA slot (it has just solder dots) where the FIC FR33E seems to have the ISA slot. Not sure about the OB LAN, but that's not relevant for this list anyway.

FR33E and FR33E-L are the same board. There were multiple variants of this board.
For some reason variations other than LAN weren't important enough to assign letters.
They show the "L" when it has onboard LAN option and it has no bearing on the ISA slot's presence.
My "pet" board is a FR33E-L with ISA, with sound, and obviously with LAN.
I have another FR33E-L with no ISA, with LAN and IIRC no sound.
I've seen other variations as well.
In addition to boxed boards FIC sold these in a complete system called a Cimpel.
I have a Cimpel. That's where my pet board came from. It is a small mini-system with a horizontal case.
There was also a FR33 (no E) that did not support Tualatin.
I dunno if it's still there but FICs site used to have an interesting error in their supported CPU list for this board.
It said: Coppermine 1.4GHz 512k cache.

I wasn't sure you were either listing boards with Tualatin support or boards with Tualatin support and ISA slots, especially since you mentioned a board specifically having an ISA slot, so I had to look the modelnumbers up and most sites remaining today are mostly sites that want to sell you stuff (those sites aren't always very meticulous).

Also, it's obvious to you the extra "L" stands for LAN, but in my experience this isn't always as obvious as it seems.

Sometimes model numbers (or names?) don't seem to have any kind of logic to them.

Report spammers here!

Reply 88 of 119, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
alexanrs wrote:

Perhaps actually state the chipset?

alexanrs wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm also listing the chipset

Stating the chipset is good, but that doesn't always guarantee it actually uses it's features (like some chipsets supporting ISA slots, but not actually implementing them).

PCBONEZ wrote:
More Data Supermicro, P3TDDE, [Dual], Apollo Pro 266T, 4x AGP, 5xPCI, no ISA, PC100/133-Reg [IDE-RAID] Supermicro, P3TDDR, [Dual […]
Show full quote

More Data
Supermicro, P3TDDE, [Dual], Apollo Pro 266T, 4x AGP, 5xPCI, no ISA, PC100/133-Reg [IDE-RAID]
Supermicro, P3TDDR, [Dual], Apollo Pro 266T, no AGP, 3xPCI, no ISA, DDR200/266-Reg [SCSI]
Supermicro, P3TDE6-G, [Dual], Serverset III HE-SL, 2x AGP Pro, 2xPCI-X(3.3v) 4xPCI-X(5v), no ISA, PC100/133-Reg [SCSI]
Supermicro, P3TDL3, [Dual], Serverset III LE, no AGP, 2xPCI-X(3.3v) 4xPCI, 1 ISA, PC100/133-Reg [SCSI]
Supermicro, P3TDLE, [Dual], Serverset III LE, no AGP, 2xPCI-X(3.3v) 4xPCI, 1 ISA, PC100/133-Reg
AOpen, DX34R-U, [Dual], Apollo Pro 133T, 4x AGP, 5xPCI, no ISA, PC100/133 [IDE-RAID]

Crap, I forgot all about the dual socket ones 🤣!

Report spammers here!

Reply 89 of 119, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here you go guys, the Excel spreadsheet I'll convert to a table in VOGONSWiki
Unfortunately it did not occur to me to write down which boards have RAID or SCSI or even need Registered memory until I added PCBONEZ dual-Tualatin boards, so there is still some info missing.
I'll continue later, I might go back board by board later to confirm which ones have RAID or SCSI (though probably just a few) or just convert it as is. Anyway, I shared it on my OneDrive, so if anyone wants to help, it can be edited directly on the web browser and sync automatically with my copy.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... ile%2cxlsx

Reply 90 of 119, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexanrs wrote:
Here you go guys, the Excel spreadsheet I'll convert to a table in VOGONSWiki Unfortunately it did not occur to me to write down […]
Show full quote

Unfortunately it did not occur to me to write down which boards have RAID or SCSI or even need Registered memory until I added PCBONEZ dual-Tualatin boards, so there is still some info missing.
I'll continue later, I might go back board by board later to confirm which ones have RAID or SCSI (though probably just a few) or just convert it as is. Anyway, I shared it on my OneDrive, so if anyone wants to help, it can be edited directly on the web browser and sync automatically with my copy.

Wow, that's awesome! *thumbsup*

The list looks much smaller this way. Btw, how can one use the list to sort from a particular column?
And are all the boards listed on VIAs verified C3 list already included?
Wouldn't want to do double entried 😊

If you want, I can add all the remaining C3 verified boards from here if there are still some missing.

One thing is though that this list might end up as a true Socket 370 list (including boards that have no extra features like support for Tualatin and ISA slots), but I wouldn't mind that. It can grow any way we want I guess.

Report spammers here!

Reply 91 of 119, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One can sort it on Excel, but I'm not sure Excel online has those features. I'll sort it here.

EDIT: SORTED
And no, I'm yet to process the official C3 compatibility list.

Reply 92 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
Here you go guys, the Excel spreadsheet I'll convert to a table in VOGONSWiki Unfortunately it did not occur to me to write down […]
Show full quote

I like.
I think RAID and SCSI are fine left in the notes but maybe a column for #CPUs.
Reg'ed RAM can just be how it's entered in the column you already have, like: DDR-Reg
I have started this list many times for my own use but never finished.
As I find my scattered list starts I'm sure I'll find more boards to add.

Reply 93 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As previously mentioned Soyo SY-7VBA133 does not support Tualatin. Only the SY-7VBA133U does.
That error has been made many times online. No need to repeat it.

Reply 94 of 119, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:

As previously mentioned Soyo SY-7VBA133 does not support Tualatin. Only the SY-7VBA133U does.

He did create the excel thingy in a single day, he might have accidentally used the list from Vogons wiki from before the final update, when I removed it from the list (I did..didn't I?).
I still think he did a great job!

Yup, I found a bunch of these lists from years ago when I used them for ebay searches, feel free to add to ours 😀

PCBONEZ wrote:
I like. I think RAID and SCSI are fine left in the notes but maybe a column for #CPUs. Reg'ed RAM can just be how it's entered i […]
Show full quote
alexanrs wrote:
Show full quote

I like.
I think RAID and SCSI are fine left in the notes but maybe a column for #CPUs.
Reg'ed RAM can just be how it's entered in the column you already have, like: DDR-Reg
I have started this list many times for my own use but never finished.
As I find my scattered list starts I'm sure I'll find more boards to add.

Agreed

Report spammers here!

Reply 95 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

I see what you are doing.
I don't think boards that require mods for Tualatin should be in the same list as those that don't.
That would include all the BX chipset boards and just make it long and confusing.

Reply 96 of 119, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
I see what you are doing. I don't think boards that require mods for Tualatin should be in the same list as those that don't. Th […]
Show full quote
PCBONEZ wrote:

I see what you are doing.
I don't think boards that require mods for Tualatin should be in the same list as those that don't.
That would include all the BX chipset boards and just make it long and confusing.

If we made a list with only Tualatin support and ISA, there wouldn't be much of a list, now would there? 😜

I think it's fine if it's a s370 list, otherwise other interesting information like non-Tualatin boards with DDR slots would also have to be excluded and I'd rather include those as well.

I mentioned before, for now I think it's fine if this list includes all s370 boards, if only to see which boards we've already had a look at and after all, in the end it's sortable and we may decide to split the list up again into smaller bits once the list starts getting too long.

Report spammers here!

Reply 97 of 119, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guys, calm down... There is a column called "Tualatin support". The 7VBA133 has a big "No" there. My intention is that this spreadsheet might evolve to a comprehensive list for Socket 370 boards, not just DDR or Tualatin ones. Also there is a SMP column, which states whether the boards supports multiple processors or not.

Reply 98 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After all that discussion the FIC board still got listed wrong. Those may or may not have ISA.
I suggest.
In the model name block something like FR33E / FR33E-L (and only one entry)
In the ISA block something like: 1 or 0, 1 or No.
More boards.
There was an Intel D815EPEA2 - same as D815EEA2 but with 815EP chipset vs 815E
There was an Intel D815EPEA2U - same as D815EEA2U but with 815EP chipset vs 815E
The difference between 815E and 815EP is the EP has no integrated video.

Reply 99 of 119, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only care about boards with native Tualatin support and you guys are turning this into a many months project.
I don't even plan to be active here that long so I'm out.