Reply 80 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote on 2020-05-28, 13:11:

I think this should do the job?
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/focal/+package/amideco
Dont have a Linux to try at the moment however...

That looks like it is based on Kannegiesser's work. I got these strings from amidecow.exe that still runs on 64bit windows 10 even. For the award tool from rainbow software (yeah, the uniflash guy) I need some 32bit OS/VM as that is 16bit code.

Reply 81 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After some testing : extracting the two AMI bioses worked ! And even better : I managed to extract the POST string out of them !!
I had to update my regex though because there was a "-" in an area where I thought only alphanumeric characters would be. I'm going to update my post.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 82 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2020-05-28, 11:16:

Great ! Meanwhile I'm improving the site, with the help of my two new partners, and I'm starting to check what to do with my elhvb backup (I started by removing empty directories, now I'll have to merge every manufacturers/bioses and finally unzip every archive to remove duplicates and have identifiable bioses.

Please note that elhvb.com is a moving target at the moment, I am adding more stuff to it again.

Reply 85 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-05-28, 18:54:
Deksor wrote on 2020-05-28, 17:02:

Oh I didn't know it was your site ! 😮

surprise!!!! 😁

That explains all of those motherboard finds on the forum. You have my appreciation.

Reply 86 of 408, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
evasive wrote on 2020-05-28, 18:54:
Deksor wrote on 2020-05-28, 17:02:

Oh I didn't know it was your site ! 😮

surprise!!!! 😁

Yes you finally registered to post here back in April, was about time !
and yes you maintain a good web archive !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 88 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice. However, is this going to work on mobile? And I'm a bit torn between putting up a photo or a drawing with jumper names (a la original TH99) or both.

(You have chosen an interesting board there with both AT and ATX power connectors).

Reply 89 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's the look on my mobile phone 😀

Screenshot_20200610-003941__01.jpg
Filename
File size
129.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

All boards have a drawing with jumper names. Then some have photos like here which are submitted by the user.

But as you can see, they're all shown at the same time (since computerguy's capture, I ordered them so the drawing is shown first, then a photo of the front, then a photo of the back then misc photos)

Some POST string (especially for the latest motherboards) don't seem to be extractable easily like we did before though, which is rather annoying (for the P5A, I had to flash my P5A to every existing updates)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 90 of 408, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice! It's getting somewhere I like!

Would it be possible to link drivers for chipset/audio/... As well? I have no doubt most of them will be somewhere at Vogonsdrivers. I understand this can be time consuming but this may be community driven 😀

Oh and I saw the processor platform is mentioned as "Pentium", wouldn't "socket 7" or "super 7" be more accurate for this board (among others)?

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 91 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adding chipset drivers/audio/video drivers is planned, maybe not in V1, but it will definitely appear someday ^^.
I also plan to add official driver disk support (the driver disks that came with the mobo).

The processor platform is descibed as such because it was hard to tell based on TH99's data (since it was mentioned nowhere). Now I may add a socket feature, but the platform is more accurate to what the motherboard can or cannot do.
(like Socket 7 with no split voltages, socket 3 with no 3.3V)

Reply 92 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2020-06-09, 22:44:
Here's the look on my mobile phone :) Screenshot_20200610-003941__01.jpg […]
Show full quote

Here's the look on my mobile phone 😀

All boards have a drawing with jumper names. Then some have photos like here which are submitted by the user.

But as you can see, they're all shown at the same time (since computerguy's capture, I ordered them so the drawing is shown first, then a photo of the front, then a photo of the back then misc photos)

Some POST string (especially for the latest motherboards) don't seem to be extractable easily like we did before though, which is rather annoying (for the P5A, I had to flash my P5A to every existing updates)

That looks the part indeed.

As for extracting POST strings from bios files, send the problem cases to me. I can handle those 😀

Reply 93 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's the one kind of problematic bios : http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Abit/bi … /bh6/index.html (actually it seems that most 256KB Award bios have this issue).

Reply 94 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2020-06-11, 12:22:

Here's the one kind of problematic bios : http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Abit/bi … /bh6/index.html (actually it seems that most 256KB Award bios have this issue).

lha compression was used for a self-extractor. Total Commander, rename to .lha, double-click to open and extract the .bin file

use modbin or other tooling to extract the POST strings.

BH6_FL.BIN : 07/10/1998-i440BX-W83977-2A69KA1EC-FL
256K GREEN AGP/PCI/ISA SYSTEM

Reply 95 of 408, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-06-10, 15:37:

Adding chipset drivers/audio/video drivers is planned, maybe not in V1, but it will definitely appear someday ^^.
I also plan to add official driver disk support (the driver disks that came with the mobo).

I would recommend working together with VOGONSDrivers on hosting the drivers, please, I'm sure SquallStrife would be interested 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 96 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I appreciate the offer, but considering the context, I don't think I can do this. As a win3x.org mod and since win3x.org has drivers too, so this is a rather difficult position for me. Some of you may dislike that choice, but I've chosen my side before this thread even existed. Not that I am against vogonsdrivers or anything !

Now maybe we could find a different solution ? I don't know.

Anyways, I had a new idea that would pair well with some of the "known issues" some motherboards have. See some boards have bad caps (either bad electrolytics or bad tantalum caps). Wouldn't it be nice, when caps are known to go bad, to have their value and position documented ? That way if one tantalum cap explodes you can still know which value it had. Or simply if you're lazy and don't want to search for all caps on your board to read their value.

So this is what I came up with

test_aquarius_caps.png
Filename
test_aquarius_caps.png
File size
33.78 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This is a motherboard I own which has many bad tantalum caps (actually I own two of these and both have bad tantalum caps ! So the problem is confirmed to be somewhat common with that exact board).
[attachment=-1]aquarius-386sx-front.jpg[/attachment]

This board used to be considered as "unidentified" on TH99, but I managed to figure out what it was (here's the TH99 version http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/U-Z/30428.htm)

I'm not sure if that'd be the final way of storing the caps values, but having this would come pretty handy imo

Attachments

Reply 97 of 408, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cap values are certainly handy when these have to be replaced! By placing values right on top of an image will be sufficient for these older boards of the are not too many caps... Would this also work with lots of caps clustered together?

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 99 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh that's a great idea ! I haven't thought of using color codes, but that'd make life much simpler to do this.