Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 8980 of 53139, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

I feel those CPUs are slightly underpowered to really show the performance those cards can offer... even though I should not be one to speak, as I used my Voodoo2 on my MMX 200 and my V3 is currently on a K6-2. The V2 would probably be more at home in a Pentium 2 (or even the K6-2) and the V3 would be a better fit for a Pentium 3. Actually, the only reason I'm using a Voodoo3 in my K6-2 is because I could actually buy one nationally - and in a package with a bunch of other cards, including a Virge DX and a Matrox - whereas the only Banshee I saw for sale here sold faster than I could put it in my wishlist. At least one user here at Vogons claimed the Banshee was actually faster in a K6-2 than his Voodoo3, perhaps due to the drivers being better optimized for K6-2 processors.

You're probably right, I got the release dates mixed up. Doesn't matter too much so long as the machine is the same across the board and I really don't want two different machines. I might use a Slot 1 board with Celeron processors then as I don't plan on spending any more money on this.

That would allow me to use a spare board I have and easily use Celeron's from the original up to the Coppermine versions as well as Pentium II and III chips. Whatever I have in stock. Probably a Celeron 300 for the Voodoo 2 and a Celeron 500 for the Voodoo 3, maybe a 600 as I have a few of those. Interchange Celeron with PII/III in that description, doesn't really matter that much, I just need a consistent metric with all cards and it has to be era appropriate.

I could also just use a fast K6-2 for all of the tests I guess. Whilst I think a Pentium MMX 233 would be a likely candidate for the Voodoo 2 and the K6-2 550 would be for the V3 I could just run a middle-of-the-road K6-2 for all of them as they were common at the time and were released between 98-99.

Lukeno94 wrote:

I've never had any real problems with my 12MB Creative Voodoo 2. Then again, when I stopped being stupid and actually looked properly for the right driver (on a non-dying system to boot), I can't say I've had any issues with my Soundblaster Live! 5.1 card either.

Never seen a Creative one IRL. Don't imagine they are much different. Time will tell how well the Diamond one works.

The Live 5.1 always sounded rough to me and actually finding a working driver is a pain in the ass. Envy24 all the way for me.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8981 of 53139, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What even is that thing CelGen?

HighTreason; I've grown up around digital sound and digital sound cards, so that's probably why I'm happier with such a thing. I know it's a little better than a Yamaha sound card I have, but that's about it. Definitely agree with you on the driver front though. I got my Creative Voodoo 2 really cheaply from eBay, which surprises me - looking at what they usually go for, and given that it had pretty much everything bar the box and manual (I saw just the SLI cable going for about what I paid for mine, which had the SLI cable.)

Reply 8982 of 53139, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:

What even is that thing CelGen?

HP's 7925 pack loading hard disk drive. Each disk pack holds 120mb and the drive supports an optional HPIB/GPIB/IEEE-488 interface so in reality you can plug it into just about any machine. Should also technically work with the GPIB to USB adapters out there but those damn things are expensive. $120 is the cheap side. 😐

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 8984 of 53139, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Met a good friend, traded all of this for an Atari ST:

Interesting looking integrated µATX Slot 1 board. CPU is an unknown celeron, chipset is EX, never heard of that one. Still, onbard graphics and sound are decent. Paired with a V2 and an ISA sound card, this could make a nice and compact mid-to-late 90s machine. I am intrigued.
Exk8igI.jpg

Soyo VX board with Pentium 100. Had the same model or a very similar one in my K5 box back in '96/'97 😊
tQ1X5ud.jpg

Early ATX Socket 7 mobo, don't remember the CPU, wasn't overwhelming:
HgJjTAX.jpg

Socket 7 TX board from BCM or GVC, never heard of the manufacturer, but the board looks solid. Like the color and the white memory slots.
OGtTBBL.jpg

Fully loaded Asus TUV4X - 1 GHz Coppermine, 1 GB RAM. Screams server to me.
t3Duioo.jpg

Panasonic 5 1/4", untested:
rHHGKNw.jpg

Unknown Slot 1, guessing Siemens Nixdorf, Celeron 533:
AvQjXnK.jpg

Unknown Slot1, most likely from a Siemens Nixdorf server, Pentium 2 333:
6nKznux.jpg

Bunch of IDE drives. Three of the Maxtors are identical, these will go in a RAID 0:
MF1AcWy.jpg

RAM RAM RAM RAM:
zbqdvUK.jpg

WORKING 486-VC-HD, already have a non-working one, this will be my next project! 😊
aZTpGU0.jpg

Bunch of cards, a few of them necessary to complete the 486, and Trio cards are always nice to have (especially Elsa):
oeT2W1w.jpg

Last edited by oerk on 2015-09-15, 14:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8991 of 53139, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My latest japanese purchases arrived:
The heatsink fell, any ideas what to use to glue it back on?

necpc3dengine1.jpg
Filename
necpc3dengine1.jpg
File size
119.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
edirol-installcd.jpg
Filename
edirol-installcd.jpg
File size
59.31 KiB
Views
File license
dvdtogo.jpg
Filename
dvdtogo.jpg
File size
71.65 KiB
Views
File license

And a really unusual device:

t64vcbox.jpg
Filename
t64vcbox.jpg
File size
197.37 KiB
Views
File license
t64vc1.jpg
Filename
t64vc1.jpg
File size
101.65 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 8992 of 53139, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought some new stuff.

First this QDI PX486SOJ. Its basicly the same as the QDI PX486P3 but with 128KB soldered cache (and 128KB socketed).

The board was sold as "untested" and comes from Italy. I thought the memory looked somewhat fancy and hoped they were at least 4MB sticks but they were 1MB sticks, HUGE 1MB sticks. The motherboard was totally dead, I tried everything, other memory, an other CPU and even disabling the cache but the stupid board would not even emit a beep. Do "untested" stuff sold on Ebay ever work? I have got 100% dead items when I bought untested stuff so far 😜, in Sweden 90+% of the untested parts sold on the Ebay clone Tradera work.

No huge loss the board was 10 euro and the shipping 16 euro but 26 euro is hardly a bargain for a 486DX-33 CPU and 4x 1MB memory. Perhaps its only the BIOS thats totally gone and the board can be resurrected, I will look into that sometime in the future. For now I have removed the battery and put the board in one of my big boxes full of projects for rainy days.

QDI_PX486SOJ.JPG
Filename
QDI_PX486SOJ.JPG
File size
4.34 MiB
Views
File license

I got this nice AST 386SX-25 Notebook at a local thrift store today for ~5 euro 😀. It seems to be in perfect condition but no AC adapter was included and it was made before the DC plug was invented so I need to Macgyver some solution... some time in the future. It also went into one of the rainy day boxes.

AST_Premium_Exec_386SX25.JPG
Filename
AST_Premium_Exec_386SX25.JPG
File size
3.96 MiB
Views
File license

I also got this not very retro XFX Geforce GTX285 for 15 euro + 7 euro shipping, I have not tried it yet but it was sold as working.
I could be accused of hording GTX285 cards, Im totally not im just... making sure I have a few spares.

XFX_GTX285.JPG
Filename
XFX_GTX285.JPG
File size
4.44 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8993 of 53139, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lolo799 wrote:

[...]
[...]

I use Arctic Silver Adhesive thermal compound for situations like this, it works wonders.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8994 of 53139, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does untested eBay stuff ever work? Yes. I had an iPod Classic 80GB that lasted a couple of years after being bought untested, and a whole joblot of 6 untested laptops worked - and only one had any issues with the motherboard (which I probably fixed by cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol, although I'd already bought a similar laptop and put the best bits of both together.) I've had more issues with supposedly working things not working than I have with untested things not working, to be honest!

Reply 8995 of 53139, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

I've had more issues with supposedly working things not working than I have with untested things not working, to be honest!

This is my experience when using the Swedish Ebay clone Tradera as well 😀.

I guess I have been unlucky when using Ebay, at least the "tested to BIOS" boards out of Ukraine have been working, not without issues but working.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8996 of 53139, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oerk wrote:

Nice haul. That 486 is by far the most interresting of them all.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8997 of 53139, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
lolo799 wrote:

[...]
[...]

I use Arctic Silver Adhesive thermal compound for situations like this, it works wonders.

Thanks, I'll get some!

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 8999 of 53139, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
oerk wrote:

Nice haul. That 486 is by far the most interresting of them all.

I agree, and this will be my next build, since I'm lacking a fully working 486.