VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 9580 of 53114, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also see a SBC! Woah, I envy that haul, kanecvr!
So many Voodoos and nice Matrox stuff! Also plenty of ISA video cards!

And ooh, Artex's haul are always a treat.

Reply 9581 of 53114, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

I also see a SBC! Woah, I envy that haul, kanecvr!
So many Voodoos and nice Matrox stuff! Also plenty of ISA video cards!

And ooh, Artex's haul are always a treat.

Yeah, his stuff is always neat and boxed - stuff I can't afford 🙁 I go for a more "peasantry" approach - lots of stuff, really cheap, some of it untested. The nice part about old hardware is that it's usually easy to fix.

carlostex wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

A lot of goodies (mostly Voodoo cards, creative sound cards and Matrox cards) is leaving for me today and should arrive on Monday. They're being sent by my friend at the recycling center. Here are some pics - most of the stuff is identified and labeled. Click for bigger pictures!

Can barely wait 😀

I spotted a Tseng Labs ET4000 in there. If you don't have use for it i'll throw some money in your face 🤣

There seems to be also an interesting I/O cache controller in there. Amazing haul

I actually have four or five Tseng ET4000AX ISA cards. Take your pick.

Last edited by kanecvr on 2015-11-07, 15:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9582 of 53114, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like a lot of people are getting decent hauls as of recent! I managed to come away with a small haul myself off of eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Assorted-Lot-of-Video … cvip=true&rt=nc

Of course they're not here right now, since the auction ended about 30 minutes ago, but needless to say, I think my 486 box is gonna get a nice little upgrade if that VLB ET4000 works...

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 9583 of 53114, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It kind of hurts to think that 3Dfx material might be shredded on a daily basis on recycling centers!
Well, can't save them all, can't have them all either.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 9584 of 53114, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick6 wrote:

It kind of hurts to think that 3Dfx material might be shredded on a daily basis on recycling centers!
Well, can't save them all, can't have them all either.

I'm certainly doing my part to save these. 😀

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9585 of 53114, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the guy owns said recycling center and I taught him to spot cool old stuff like 3dfx cards, creative sound cards, GUS cards, dual-cpu boards, 386 boards and socket 3 boards and set them aside for me. He then sends me pictures like the ones above so I can pick what to save from the grinder. I can't afford to save every bit of thech, but if it sais 3dfx, creative or matrox on it I will take it. And I don't even like matrox cards that much - I prefer S3 for my builds but I save matrox cards because they are pretty rare (around here at least) and other people might want them.

I've build up quite a collection of working good condition matrox cards, and some of them will be up on my amibay soon, together with a few 3dfx video and creative sound cards . Proceeds will go towards buying a Voodoo 5 5500 I've been lusting after for almost 15 years and a dual socket A motherboard.

Reply 9586 of 53114, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I snagged a 3DLabs Permedia 3 Create! recently for $10. I'm not sure, but I think that's the only card that ever used the Permedia 3 chip and it's always been really expensive whenever I found one for sale. It's supposed to much better at gaming than the Permedia 2 and 2V, but it's still a professional grade card so it isn't considered high end for games. It kicks ass in apps that use OpenGL, though. It blows everything else from it's time period away in things like 3D Studio Max.

Reply 9587 of 53114, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

I could not resist this system.

The price was 49 euro + 17 euro shipping, the auction was set to auto accept offers as it says "Best offer accepted" so I could probably got it even cheaper but I didnt want to wait those extra seconds...

This is an awesome little guy!!

Reply 9588 of 53114, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

I have something special that I'll post later today too! 😎

Like a prototype stock Aureal card with a TI 1815 amp integrated or an ISA Analog Devices SoundPort card with a Nat Semi LM1876 Overture amp on-board? 😀

Reply 9589 of 53114, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
Artex wrote:

I have something special that I'll post later today too! 😎

Like a prototype stock Aureal card with a TI 1815 amp integrated or an ISA Analog Devices SoundPort card with a Nat Semi LM1876 Overture amp on-board? 😀

Well... Erm.. Nope, something else that's special. 😉

sliderider wrote:

Good thing Artex has a new baby. That's going to put a crimp on his buying for a while. 🤣

Sorry sliderider 😎

Ad Lib Music Synthesizer Card ISA (SEALED) (1990) 😎 😎 😎 😎

Gonna have to sell my plain 'ole opened box version now to make up for what I paid for this bad boy.

9xmPTJ.jpg
AUdMeR.jpg
kjGNd8.jpg
qWaUQx.jpg
Y7xWrS.jpg
wxQCNI.jpg

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9590 of 53114, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:

That S3 looks very similar however not exactly like the Turtle Beach Daytona, it has some interesting features. It supports DLS sound fonts and windows 98 comes with a Roland Gmidi -dls sound font so you can upload it and use very good quality sounds, it also has reverb and chorus effects although both are not very deep or convincing effects, also has SRS surround, it is however a bit noisy, so it was never an option for serious purposes, it was meant for windows games and midi.

That's really interesting. I just learned about the DLS format for sound banks today and am listening to the Aureal Vortex 2 DLS set right now in Duke 3D. It is okay, but I'm very interested in the Roland Gmidi set. I read that DLS conversions from SF2 format are not ideal, so I'd like to check this out.

On the Turtle Beach site, it says that the Roland GM DLS comes with DirectX 7.0. I found GM.DLS in my Windows/System32/Drivers folder. I can't decide if I like it better than the Aureal set.

Reply 9592 of 53114, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

Well... Erm.. Nope, something else that's special. 😉

Ad Lib Music Synthesizer Card ISA (SEALED) (1990)
Oh yeah, I forgot about it. I was aware that you won it. Although, I was very surprised that bidding on it went so high. At the same time I really don't get what's so special about Ad Lib cards as there are better choices available unless you are a collector I guess.

Reply 9593 of 53114, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:

I think my 486 box is gonna get a nice little upgrade if that VLB ET4000 works...

That is a cool looking Tseng VLB card! Your 486 is one lucky little machine to have you as it's owner.😎

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 9594 of 53114, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

unless you are a collector I guess.

^^ this. To me these cards are special only in that they are some of the very first PC audio devices. Finding them is tough, in boxes is tougher, but sealed is nuts.

Such a simple device, but once again it's tough to put a value on the nostalgia that comes along with something like this one.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9595 of 53114, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

Well the guy owns said recycling center and I taught him to spot cool old stuff like 3dfx cards, creative sound cards, GUS cards, dual-cpu boards, 386 boards and socket 3 boards and set them aside for me. He then sends me pictures like the ones above so I can pick what to save from the grinder. I can't afford to save every bit of thech, but if it sais 3dfx, creative or matrox on it I will take it. And I don't even like matrox cards that much - I prefer S3 for my builds but I save matrox cards because they are pretty rare (around here at least) and other people might want them.

I've build up quite a collection of working good condition matrox cards, and some of them will be up on my amibay soon, together with a few 3dfx video and creative sound cards . Proceeds will go towards buying a Voodoo 5 5500 I've been lusting after for almost 15 years and a dual socket A motherboard.

Yeah.... Can't seem to find any 486 motherboard's (5x86 compatible) anywhere, other than the usual expensive 140+ Dollar ebay items.
There are a big selection on broken stuff for 21+ dollars, and all from Ukraine or Bulgaria.
Come on man.... Why sell broken stuff at these prices. I really do not get it. 🙁

Been setting up add's on various places, asking people to look in their closet's, asking friends and stuff.
All I can find is a couple of complete olivetti systems that have broken keyboard port's. Broken as in not working at all.
They ask like 70 to 100 dollars excluding shipping. Wich is nut's.... Again... Those who think that all broken stuff is a goldmine.
When it's age surpases like 20 to 25 years. They must have swallowed some bad stuff.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9596 of 53114, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
A lot of goodies (mostly Voodoo cards, creative sound cards and Matrox cards) is leaving for me today and should arrive on Monda […]
Show full quote

A lot of goodies (mostly Voodoo cards, creative sound cards and Matrox cards) is leaving for me today and should arrive on Monday. They're being sent by my friend at the recycling center. Here are some pics - most of the stuff is identified and labeled. Click for bigger pictures!

QHYXyDkh.jpg

Can barely wait 😀

Nice haul! Looks like you've got a Mac PDS video card in there (top row, 4th along), and the Millenium II has the Rainbow Runner vid capture module - though you'll need the breakout cable IIRC. Great to see so much stuff saved from oblivion, have fun 😎

And Artex ... livin' the dream 🤣

Reply 9597 of 53114, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/905/9xmPTJ.jpg […]
Show full quote

9xmPTJ.jpg

This isn't going to strike you as humorous as it does me, but mirroring that Babbage's price tag, $29.99 happens to be the exact amount that I paid for a similarly sealed Ad Lib card, way back in 2008. It became unsealed upon receipt, however. 😉

Reply 9598 of 53114, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:

This isn't going to strike you as humorous as it does me, but mirroring that Babbage's price tag, $29.99 happens to be the exact amount that I paid for a similarly sealed Ad Lib card, way back in 2008. It became unsealed upon receipt, however. 😉

Haha! That's the way it goes it seems... I wonder why the demand has increased so much for this retro goodness. Sometimes I wonder if it's VOGONS that drives the market. 😀 P.S. Glad to hear from ya!

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9599 of 53114, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if it's VOGONS that drives the market. 😀

As a matter of fact it does since the top 4 highest bidders on the Ad Lib are members of Vogons 😊

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2015-11-08, 03:15. Edited 2 times in total.