Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 9900 of 53032, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

It's (the dual P3 board) got an ATI Rage something onboard for what I can make out.
The colour does not really seem to fit into Asus P3-era, as far as I remember.
I could be wrong though.

It's true 99% of Asus boards are/were that special yellow. That said, they did make some boards that were the basic green. My XG-DLS is green.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9901 of 53032, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
Got a PowerColor EvilKing Voodoo 4 4500 today: […]
Show full quote

Got a PowerColor EvilKing Voodoo 4 4500 today:

5vRBbNql.jpg

Sweet.... Finally you got one of the higher performing Voodoo's. Congrat's

It's a little faster then a Voodoo 3 but nothing out of the ordinary... Still glad I bought it - my first Voodoo 4. Payed 50 euro for it too... 🙁 Now if I could only find a voodoo 5 5500 AGP for about 100-110 euro shipped...

Reply 9902 of 53032, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
Oldbitcollector wrote:

A friend of mine rescued this system and said that I needed to pick it up before he scrapped it this morning. I've not had a chance to power it up, but it appears to be a very well built server of some sort.

It's a dual CPU (Pentium III / 933) with two SCSI 18GB hard drives. Can't seem to find any specs or model number silkscreened on the motherboard. Those two longer slots having me scratching my head.

IIRC, Windows 98 won't see the two CPUs, I already have an XP machine, so I'm thinking either Windows NT or Windows 2000. Any recommendations?

It's most likely an Asus CUS-DLS. The longer slots are for pci-x cards. They offer higher bandwidth than standard pci. Use them for gigabit ethernet and u320 scsi.

Great score! !

I think ASUS CUR-DLS. (vice CUS-DLS)
Yes, the presence of PCI-X slots implies it has multiple independent PCI buses on the board. The CUR-DLS manual shows two.
So long as you actually utilize both buses it has a huge PCI bandwidth compared to a typical consumer board with one PCI bus.
As long as the voltage is correct most PCI cards work in PCI-X slots so you don't actually have to have PCI-X cards to use both buses.
Note:
The whole PCI-X bus will run as fast as the slowest card in it.
IOW, if you put both a 66MHz and a 33MHZ card in one PCI-X bus they will both work but both will run at 33MHz.

Attachments

• CUR-DLS_PCI.jpg
    Filename
    CUR-DLS_PCI.jpg
    File size
    52.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 9903 of 53032, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

It's a little faster then a Voodoo 3 but nothing out of the ordinary...

There is 1 big advantage of Voodoo4 cards between Voodoo3 - big textures support. It's used in ogl games mostly (through 3dfxvgl.dll), the best example is MDK 2.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 9904 of 53032, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And 32 bit colour support of course 😀

The 4500 is basically what many would have liked the V3 to be. But it was too little too late. I hardly see it used in retro builds, likely because it's not cheap and easy to find, the V3 on the other hand is quite cheap and easy to find.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9905 of 53032, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love the Voodoo 4, really good image quality. But yes the Geforce 2 MX was a better purchase back in the day.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 9906 of 53032, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll put the card in my Xp 2600+ rig. The KT333 board in it has a Universal AGP slot and supports 3.3V cards - it's currently running a Voodoo 3 3500TV.

Reply 9907 of 53032, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an almost complete 286 set for free:
- a motherboard with onboard FDD/IDE controller (!)
- a 286-10 CPU and a 287-10 NPU, both from AMD
- a 8-bit I/O controller
- a 8-bit Gemini Tech G2 videocard
- a nice and clean L-shaped PSU
P1060946.JPG
P1060947.JPG
P1060948.JPG

(off topic) I also bought several sets of plastic feet in a furniture shop. I generally intended to use them for two builds only: the one that has cracked feet that leave white dust everywhere they step and the other one that lacks them completely. However, they turned out so practical when moving rigs that now I'm going to slowly convert the rest of my fleet!

Before/after:
P1060949.JPG
P1060950.JPG

Reply 9911 of 53032, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RacoonRider:
That's some beautifull hardware you got there. Love it. 😜

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9912 of 53032, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Yes love the hound but could we please see more of the case than its feet please?!

Nice find!

I've shown these somewhere around here several times already, need to make a thread on it, yet there is so much to write about and so little time 😀 "Без паники" is "Don't panic" from one great book by Douglas Adams 😀

001.png
006.png

Reply 9915 of 53032, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That little screw on the AWE32 is a great idea, might have to steal that and replace the shitty piece of cardboard I have supporting my CT3900!

Reply 9916 of 53032, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
Got an almost complete 286 set for free: - a motherboard with onboard FDD/IDE controller (!) - a 286-10 CPU and a 287-10 NPU, b […]
Show full quote

- a 8-bit I/O controller

I hope you have some SIPPs! Is that 640k in DRAM already then?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9917 of 53032, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

Wow.. Just - wow. Awesome!

kanecvr wrote:

That machine has great looking insides!

Thanks! Artex, I must admit, given your impossible collection of retro goodies, getting this feedback from you feels kinda like an achievement 😀

dexter311 wrote:

That little screw on the AWE32 is a great idea, might have to steal that and replace the shitty piece of cardboard I have supporting my CT3900!

Feel free to use it, I stole the idea from someone as well. These are common nut-screws found in COM, VGA, LPT ports, etc. screwed together by two.

brassicGamer wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:
Got an almost complete 286 set for free: - a motherboard with onboard FDD/IDE controller (!) - a 286-10 CPU and a 287-10 NPU, b […]
Show full quote

- a 8-bit I/O controller

I hope you have some SIPPs! Is that 640k in DRAM already then?

Yes, I think it has 640K DIPP memory. I've got another 286 with 1Mb DIPP memory and a faulty 386 to steal SIMM slots from.
But I don't really know what to do with extra memory on a 286. Actually, I have no idea what a 286 can do that XT and 386 can't 😀

Reply 9918 of 53032, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

Actually, I have no idea what a 286 can do that XT and 386 can't 😀

That's a really good point. The 386 was obviously a significant step up from the 286, and we saw the first boards to use CPU cache, faster RAM speeds, etc - performance became the thing and the gap between the bus and the CPU began to widen. But, from what I understand, the 286 presented an almost 100% performance increase over the 8088 because the address and data buses weren't multiplexed (which, in theory, should double performance immediately anyway). Also the introduction of protected mode paved the way for more complex software such as multi-tasking OSes, although it wasn't really exploited in the 286 era. Some would say the 286 was just a stepping stone but, whichever way you look at it, the 386 wouldn't have happened without it.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9919 of 53032, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this HP Brio BA D75xx unit for 10€. Apparently it has some 486 CPU (DX2/66? It's under a heatsink), and SiS motherboard with 3 PCI & 1 ISA slot. It has integrated graphics and a sound chip (Crystal CS4280-CM) on board. Unit also came with couple of PCI cards (probably a modem by Telewell and some weird Lite-On card with only LINE output). Too bad about only one ISA slot, I was hoping for at least two. Oh well, the mini sized case will make for a decent project...

brio_out_zpsomv0uoan.jpg

brio_in_zpseqoxxzz4.jpg

brio_pci1_zpswqszlros.jpg

Last edited by Ariakos on 2015-12-07, 19:08. Edited 1 time in total.