VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 9940 of 53065, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really pleased to grab this off eBay. Complete in box. Haven't tested yet--heard it's a bit tricky to get running in real DOS.

P1120009.JPG
Filename
P1120009.JPG
File size
937.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9941 of 53065, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psychz wrote:

Cool, I'll have a go at combos like this tomorrow.

Heh, I completely forgot about cold shadow. Your avatar inadvertently just caused me to buy a boxed copy off ebay. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 9942 of 53065, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

Heh, I completely forgot about cold shadow. Your avatar inadvertently just caused me to buy a boxed copy off ebay. 🤣

I LOVE this game!

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 9943 of 53065, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember playing the Demo as a kid that came with the Toy Story Interactive game back when I was a kid in the 90's, both my sister and I thought it was amazing. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 9944 of 53065, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
My lot of saved-from-recycling retro goodies came in yesterday evening and as soon as I got home today I stared inspecting, rese […]
Show full quote

My lot of saved-from-recycling retro goodies came in yesterday evening and as soon as I got home today I stared inspecting, researching and testing. Of highest interest to me is the dual-socket 370 cpu board - an MSI 694D PRO2:

rDZvM6xl.jpg

Ksb0nVFl.jpg

No damage whatsoever to this board - only one blown 2700uf capacitor witch I replaced with a 3300uf for lack of an exact replacement part. I'll order a couple 2700uf and recap it properly this week.

So far I was able to test it with two 1GHz PIII-S CPUs (at least I tough so until I noticed the post screen displayed 1000/933 😁 ) - interesting that this board can run two different speed CPUs as long as they run at the same FSB frequency.

I'm really curious to see if the second CPU adds anything to games and benchmarks.

Nice board! I habe a similiar one: Epox EP-3DVA with 2x Pentium 3 1000 / 133 / Coppermine / 1536MB RAM
I heard some boards can only accept 2048MB RAM if you clock down the FSB to 100. Is that true?

Reply 9945 of 53065, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have four 512mb sdram sticks - only two. Spec-wise it should support 2GB of ram but I don't see why I'd do that. 1GB is more then enough.

Reply 9946 of 53065, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

I don't have four 512mb sdram sticks - only two. Spec-wise it should support 2GB of ram but I don't see why I'd do that. 1GB is more then enough.

"More than enough" is NOT enough. You better max out that board. Otherwise I will be very disappointed with you.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9947 of 53065, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:

Really pleased to grab this off eBay. Complete in box. Haven't tested yet--heard it's a bit tricky to get running in real DOS.

What is the difference between Guillemot "Game Theater 64" and "Maxi Studio 64"?
My photos: http://kawai.spb.ru/photo/v/hardware/museum/p … ot_maxisound64/

PS If you running Guillemot in clean DOS on non PNP 486 - you need to init it by esscfg first.
Guillemot Maxi Sound home studio 64 pro - no music in pure DOS

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 9948 of 53065, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I almost didn't feel like going thrifting this week, glad I came to my senses and went anyway:

img_20151208_130300631.jpg?w=800

img_20151208_130329204_hdr.jpg?w=800

This is the first SBPro ever to cross my path, so what should be right system to get the most out of it? Also I've seen these being recapped before, is there anything wrong with the stock ELGEN caps (as in I should recap it ASAP) or is it something to do with sound quality?

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 9949 of 53065, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
133MHz wrote:

I almost didn't feel like going thrifting this week, glad I came to my senses and went anyway:

<snip>

This is the first SBPro ever to cross my path, so what should be right system to get the most out of it? Also I've seen these being recapped before, is there anything wrong with the stock ELGEN caps (as in I should recap it ASAP) or is it something to do with sound quality?

It's just audiophiles that want better sound quality. Because we have better capacitor technology today than they did back then when those things were made. As long as they're not domed, bulging or dripping then they're fine as is and it should work as it was originally intended.

It should do well in your 486 system there, but they're decent cards up to pentiums with Win9x, and I think have native windows 98 SE drivers by microsoft so usable by anything that can run Win98.

Reply 9950 of 53065, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
easy_john wrote:
What is the difference between Guillemot "Game Theater 64" and "Maxi Studio 64"? My photos: http://kawai.spb.ru/photo/v/hardw […]
Show full quote

What is the difference between Guillemot "Game Theater 64" and "Maxi Studio 64"?
My photos: http://kawai.spb.ru/photo/v/hardware/museum/p … ot_maxisound64/

PS If you running Guillemot in clean DOS on non PNP 486 - you need to init it by esscfg first.
Guillemot Maxi Sound home studio 64 pro - no music in pure DOS

As far as I can tell, the differences are the digital IO daughtercard and the software bundle. The main card looks the same: ESS + Dream + 4MB RAM. I suspect that the Game Theater is a reduced cost bundle for those people not interested in music production, just games.

Thanks for the link. It was the one in my mind when I was talking about DOS. May not be such a big deal after all.

Reply 9951 of 53065, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
133MHz wrote:

Some beautiful rewards! That's a nice little VLB system - I've got a similar one with both types of RAM slot. I would dearly love an 8 bit SB though or one of the early ones. GUS is nice but I want to talk to Dr. Sbaitso!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9952 of 53065, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just bought an ATI x850 pro off of ebay. It is going into my xp rig that I'm also using as a video recording rig. I won the auction for like $29 incl shipping. Sad part is, I only wanted the cooler off the card and the accessories. I plan on using my x850 xt-pe instead.

image from the ebay auction:

http://imgur.com/h8Aqxud

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9953 of 53065, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
easy_john wrote:

Game Theater 64 is a cut down version of Studio Pro 64. Explanation in Russian. In short, it has cheaper DAC, no S/PDIF, and 1 Mb standard GM bank instead of 4 Mb. Maximum RAM size is 18 Mb instead of 20 Mb.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 9954 of 53065, by DX7_EP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Went and grabbed a SC-55ST on eBay a few days ago. It has yet to arrive but I reckon it'll ship quickly enough. It should address my lack of a SC-55 or directly compatible module in my set (8850 does have a SC-55mkII set but the synth as a whole has poor compatibility with the rest of the Sound Canvas line).

Now how am I going to use it with my vintage laptop in my sig...even with SoftMPU's serial out feature I can only get it working on some MT-32 titles when testing with other modules, and the Windows drivers do support external MIDI moudles but my system lacks a game port.

CM-64, FB-01, SC-55ST, SC-8850, SD-20

Reply 9955 of 53065, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

Game Theater 64 is a cut down version of Studio Pro 64. Explanation in Russian. In short, it has cheaper DAC, no S/PDIF, and 1 Mb standard GM bank instead of 4 Mb. Maximum RAM size is 18 Mb instead of 20 Mb.

Here's a photo of the actual card. The box says that it has 4MB RAM. Don't know whether the DAC is the same or not.

RAM is marked

SP81741
VG2618165BJ
707 -6

P1120012.JPG
Filename
P1120012.JPG
File size
839.33 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9956 of 53065, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
133MHz wrote:

I almost didn't feel like going thrifting this week, glad I came to my senses and went anyway

Nice find... Mobo's are allways sweet. Good that it has a coincell and not barrel or RTC.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9957 of 53065, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I won a Roland MT-32 (1st version) from a local auction site few days ago. Today the seller notified it's in the mail. Whoopedoo! Now I have both Roland MIDI standards (LA & GM) in portable module form. I'm not tied just to LAPC-I anymore.

Reply 9958 of 53065, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brassicGamer wrote:

Found this lot with very little description - I've been trying to get better at finding stuff people are selling when they don't know what it is. So I'm not sure if I got a bargain or not yet - to be tested. Also depends on whether I can find the time to straighten the pins! The DX was listed as just that - my fingers are crossed for 50MHz!

rps20151130_175136_720.jpg
rps20151130_175239_814.jpg

A straight edge of some kind for straightening rows of pins and a pair of needle nose pliers for fine adjustments to individual pins if it still won't go into the socket.

Reply 9959 of 53065, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Managed to find the DLC2 (66MHz) Blue Lightning upgade module for the Model 80 stored upstairs.

ffb1b8451981958.jpg

Because of all the Blue Lightnings I've acquired recently, I've reluctantly had to list one of the motherboards that has the chip onboard... it's the only way i'm allowed to keep the others. 😢

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks