Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
Got these CPUs in trade today: […]
Show full quote

Got these CPUs in trade today:

1Czav8Xl.jpg

I threw them on my FIC PA-2010+, gave them a voodoo 2 and made them fight. Man is the K6 slow in gl_quake 😜

Also got this neat server / workstation case to put my dual-370 MSI board in:

aaSjLSHl.jpg

HHEfrQLl.jpg

It has a door under the 3.5" bays that covers 3 more 5.25" bays. One could stick a Supermicro 5-Bay SCSI rack in there 😀. Those bay covers need bleaching tough...

Now to snag a Voodoo 5 and I'm done for this year.

That's a lovely clean 6x86 and should go pretty well on the 66mhz bus. I was a bit underwelmed by the the K6 as well, it's good but not spectacular although the only one i have used was 166 mhz so ran very cool. I actually prefer the K5 166 to the K6.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 9981 of 53082, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played around with it for a bit. Accidentally ran it at 66x3.5 for the duration of my testing and it did ~59 fps in GL_quake with a V2. A 233Mhz pentium MMX does about 72 fps on the same board. Not bat considering the 200MHz K6 barely edges 32 fps... a K6-2 at the same speed does quite a bit better. I think I'll be keeping the 686 in my socket 7 rig for now - just to give it some use. I did clock it down to 66x3 just to be on the safe side 😀

Reply 9984 of 53082, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got this bad boy the other day:

PB190053.jpgPB190055.jpg

It was brand new, shrink wrapped and I bought it for 15 Euro from a local store that I happened to be passing by. It is just as terrible as it looks, but I couldn't help NOT buying it, since I remember it from way back (1999-2000) and have always wondered just how awful it is. The one game I think might work okay would be Descent (Descent III even more so I guess), but I didn't try it. And I've already got the SpaceOrb 360 for this sort of thing hehehe.

Last edited by F2bnp on 2015-12-14, 11:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9986 of 53082, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

F2bnp:
Looks more like a medical joystick for remote surgery over the Internet. 😁

Remember add's in magazines, for this product, waaaay back.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9987 of 53082, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

A box containing the rails required for mounting 5.25 and 3.5" drives.

This is actually a great idea. Back when I started collecting hardware, I kinda threw all 5,25in external slot covers into one big box kinda, but later on I found out that they can differ by box and ever since I figured that out, I decided to keep everything that really belongs to any specific case, inside the said case so it never gets lost.

Only gripe is that one will have to figure out some way to keep the items (like driverails) inside without the items going from one side of the case to the other while one is relocating said system and to keep the items isolated if they are made out of metal!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9989 of 53082, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$_57.JPG

Note the OPL4 chip. This was $20 because of a stock mix-up, in short I ordered a different board and it was not in stock, the seller gave me a discount on this board instead.

Oh, someone changed my password for the forum, but i never received an e-mail alerting me. So either we have a script kiddie, or the forum database is gebrochen. Funny how that would happen, i'm not pointing fingers but it's suspicious, i'll say that much.

And i still expect an apology. Not from the seller, because he already did that. In fact, if the board shows up in good order they might well end up on my favorites list.

Last edited by HighTreason on 2015-12-15, 00:00. Edited 1 time in total.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 9991 of 53082, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAwWDEyMDA=/z/r5cAAOSw7FRWXycQ/$_57.JPG […]
Show full quote

$_57.JPG

Note the OPL4 chip. This was $20 because of a stock mix-up, in short I ordered a different board and it was not in stock, the seller gave me a discount on this board instead.

Oh, someone changed my password for the forum, but i never received an e-mail alerting me. So either we have a script kiddie, or the forum database is gebrochen. Funny how that would happen, i'm not pointing fingers but it's suspicious, i'll say that much.

And i still expect an apology.

Nice score on getting that board! Got one myself but without the wave table option, you will love that board once you get around to using it.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9992 of 53082, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:
I got this bad boy the other day: […]
Show full quote

I got this bad boy the other day:

PB190053.jpgPB190055.jpg

It was brand new, shrink wrapped and I bought it for 15 Euro from a local store that I happened to be passing by. It is just as terrible as it looks, but I couldn't help NOT buying it, since I remember it from way back (1999-2000) and have always wondered just how awful it is. The one game I think might work okay would be Descent (Descent III even more so I guess), but I didn't try it. And I've already got the SpaceOrb 360 for this sort of thing hehehe.

I had one 10 years ago, then sold it and last year I bought another (new) one.
It's a very interesting controller. I kind of hate-like it 😁
Play Half Life with it! You will have a blast! 🤣

Reply 9993 of 53082, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having to take a break because I'm a) out of money and b) drowning in retro pc parts! I did however manage to pick up a brand new still sealed Iomega Zip 250 Internal drive this week with 3 Zip disks thrown in for the princely sum of £12 delivered!

Sorry to those that keep them boxed and sealed but I fully enjoyed ripping this one open and getting it fitted to my P233 system 😀 Loving the pure clean non yellowed cream colour

$_57 (2) (Medium).JPG
Filename
$_57 (2) (Medium).JPG
File size
150.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9994 of 53082, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mr_ppp wrote:

Having to take a break because I'm a) out of money and b) drowning in retro pc parts! I did however manage to pick up a brand new still sealed Iomega Zip 250 Internal drive this week with 3 Zip disks thrown in for the princely sum of £12 delivered!

Sorry to those that keep them boxed and sealed but I fully enjoyed ripping this one open and getting it fitted to my P233 system 😀 Loving the pure clean non yellowed cream colour

$_57 (2) (Medium).JPG

Nice Zip! How does it look in your chosen case?

Hear you on the drowning in parts, I found this board yesterday in a box I bought a while ago ...

u51j6.jpg

Reply 9995 of 53082, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:

Hear you on the drowning in parts, I found this board yesterday in a box I bought a while ago ...

Heard that VLB-based Pentium boards existed. Never seen one. Opti made some crazy shit for sure.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9996 of 53082, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a SuperMicro. Which is good... Err... Let me know if you ever want to get rid of it.

@BrassicGamer; I got your e-mail, I will hang onto it. Sorry I never replied, really busy lately.

@Mr_ppp; Good, it won't do any good in that box. Plus you can use the device and keep the box anyway. If you're going to use it, open the box every time - I approve.

@alexanrs; That chip was a big factor in me buying it, but I would probably have left the board if I hadn't got the discount... Shame I couldn't get the one I ordered - an ASUS EISA board - but this one will have an immediate use in place of the slow-as-hell SiS-based one I never use. Anyway, I missed my P233MMX but the Packard Bell box just runs slow, despite also being a 430TX. Something has been wrong with it for ages so I took it out of service a long time ago to demote it to a Pentium 75 that I use as a backup. I say that, but I mostly keep it solely for sentimental reasons. Probably will still use my K5 more though as I just like the K5, it kicks major ass at integer anyway and the Virge makes it murder 2D DOS applications. I probably will find something for the ISA slots, probably a dial-up modem as I still use them for remote access in a few places - local calls are free here, so it means I can avoid billing other people's internet when I use a system at their house and want my files or else I can proxy the internet to get my e-mail. Then again, given the sound card's connectors, it seems to have AUX IN, so I'm tempted to shove an old ISA capture board in for laughs.

@nforce4max; I actually got that feeling when I saw it. It seems like a very sensible board and much as Intel boards are usually boring, they generally work forever and a day. This one doesn't look so boring though and I think it has the potential to be something good. Only thing that would have made it better is if it had the Mach64 some versions had, but I'm sure it will do very well with a nice Matrox jammed into the PCI slots. Would have been a candidate as my Voodoo testing rig if it had AGP... Then again, if I end up liking the V2, I can install it in here later as it won't be a permanent fixture in the testbed machine and it won't affect the Matrox's 2D ability in this one.

If anyone cares, I'm about to buy a cheap USB borescope. Not sure why yet, but I've always wanted one and I recently found an excuse to get one. Haven't found an excuse to get an IR camera yet.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 9997 of 53082, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What a yucky Pentium board. Too bad it doesn't have the sockets to go to 2MB L2 cache. Yes, many of the OPTi Pentium chipsets can do 2MB L2.

I wonder what year that board was made. I bet it's embarrassingly late.

Why on earth would SuperMicro agree to produce this abomination? They must have had some kind of pre-existing agreement with OPTi.

What was the deal with OPTi anyway? Were they really an American company, or a California based Taiwanese one? I can't seem to think of an OPTi chipset that doesn't scream CRAP.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9998 of 53082, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, an anti-OPTi rant. You don't see that every day.

The OPTi 495SLC chipset is good.

Last edited by badmojo on 2015-12-16, 04:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9999 of 53082, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no idea what all this opti hate is. I own two opti motherboards myself and they seem to run just great. Both of my 486 motherboards are opti chipset and I love them. Very stable.