VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I recently rebuilt an old Gateway Pentium 166 MMX system. Attached is a quad speed CD-ROM drive. I have a 32GB CF card with Windows 98 on it and everything works perfectly. However, the CD-ROM isn't working correctly on my MS-DOS CF cards. I can boot from my Windows 98 SE CD just fine. However, whenever I try to DIR with a disc in the drive, it will sometimes display everything properly, but more often than not it will show only a few files or even garbled text. If it can show the full directory and allow me to type install.exe for example, it will start to load the file and then stop. The system isn't locked up as I can reboot via the keyboard, but it just stops loading the file from the CD and doesn't return to a prompt. Since everything works in Windows 98, and the drive worked on a previous build, I am assuming that there is a weird compatibility issue with DOS 7's mscdex. The problem is happening with VIDE-CDD.SYS and also with whatever driver the Windows 98 CD uses when used as a boot disc. I am trying to find alternate versions of mscdex to test out.

Has this issue happened to anyone before? Is there anything I can try? I had thought that maybe the ribbon cable was faulty and perhaps the drive was going bad until I tested everything to be working under Windows. Other than mscdex, I have no idea on what else to try. I do know that this motherboard is picky about certain SD-to-CF adapters as I have two of what looks like the same adapter, but they appear differently at boot time which indicates a different controller chip in the adapter. Whenever I use the "wrong" adapter with this board, I experience issues similar to the CD-ROM problem. However, I cannot blame the IDE ports since a different adapter always works to read a 128GB SD card, and like I said, the CD-ROM problem is happening only in MS-DOS.

I'm not sure if the attached pic is the same board, but they look very similar.

Many thanks for any information and advice!
Scythifuge

Attachments

• intel.png
    Filename
    intel.png
    File size
    590.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did change the ribbon cable, just now. Using the AD&D Masterpiece Collection Disc 1 (with Strahd's Possession on it,) running install.exe reboots the system when using mscdex version 2.23. Switching back to DOS 7.1 mscdex brings back the garbled text and incomplete directory listing. How bizarre that this is happening only in MS-DOS...

Reply 2 of 2, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I swapped out the quad speed CD-ROM drive (NEC CDR-273) with some form of IDE DVD-ROM drive and I can now access directories and install games. So there is a weird compatibility issue with the NEC CDR-273 on this particular motherboard and ONLY in MS-DOS with either mscdex 2.23 and 2.25. I am glad to know that I can at least use an alternative drive on this mobo, but I do not understand why the NEC CDR-273 willnot work on an Intel board from 1997 in MS-DOS but works fine in Windows 9x. I try to use a quad speed in MS-DOS for both nostalgia and for compatibility reasons (I have read in the past that there are a handful of gamers which work properly only on 4x and below drives.) I know that there are apps to slow down an optical drive. In the end it is moot as hopefully by Saturday, I will be running DOS/Win 3.11/Win98 on a SS7 with a K6-III+ which will finally allow me to run most games and apps across the aforementioned OS options at proper speeds.

If anyone has any ideas on what is going on with the NEC CDR-273, I am still interested in solutions as I will be keeping the mobo and CPU for future use.