VOGONS

First post, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I try to get my U320 SCA2 LFF SCSI into operation.

Setup:
- AH1542CF
- ST U320 SCA2 LFF SCSI
- 50pin to 80pin Adapter
- Termination cable-end

Issue:
- HDD will be recognized correctly by BIOS and ASP4DOS
- Adaptec Low Level Formater will run for several hours but then quits with Error Code (see attachment). Error code 4: Hardware error. Sense Code 32/0: There are no spare defect locations available.
- Adaptec Media Verify wont start with message: 4 Hardware error. Sense Code 31/00 The media format is corrupted.
- AFDISK wont start. Error code see attachment. I cant really translate that one.

Is my assumption correct that the drive is broken?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 | 386SX25@30 | 16MB | CL-GD5434 | CT2830| SCC-1 | MT32 | Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 | 486DX/2 66(@80) | 32MB | TGUI9440 | SG NX Pro 16 | LAPC-I

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curious why you decided to low lever format a scsi HD ?
I do not think that ST 73Gb scsi hd is supposed to be low leveled formatted by a controller that is decades older than the HD.
Also the 1540 series has a max HD size of 8GB iirc, just because it identified the HD (is a command sent and response back thing) does not guarantee support... so attempting to format using the cards bios was a bad idea....
The drive might still be good if it was good before the failed format but would require a newer u160/u320 adapter and tool to reformat it properly.....just my opinion based on what I know.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I‘m afraid all you write might be correct 🫠

I was at first not able to access the drive although being it was detected correctly everywhere. That’s why I tried that. Root cause was the 2hdd limit on my system so I had to disable my 2nd hdd first. But then llf format already was conducted (at the least the try)

🙁

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 | 386SX25@30 | 16MB | CL-GD5434 | CT2830| SCC-1 | MT32 | Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320

Reply 3 of 5, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not the SCSI host but the device that will decide what to do exactly with the format command. Early drive (<1GB) would actually reformat, all the later ones will only check the surface condition.

What that command does (depending on parameters) is rebuild the GLIST - which is the list of bad sectors stored in GROWN. I've dealt with some damaged SCSI drives and in my experience the hardware error and code would indicate one of the heads has crashed, or otherwise stopped working properly (hit the spindle column due to rubber bumpers going bad, the wires got corroded by the glue that holds it in place, etc). So there is now a portion of the HDD that's completly unusable and the FORMAT can't deal with that. Nothing can really and it's not really worth the effort of trying to do anything about it - the HDD is unstable at best, unusable at worst.

EDIT: If I were inclined to try and salvage it I would install it in Linux machine with a "modern" PCI SCSI controller like AHA-2940UW(2) and try the SCSI tools package to reformat it again. Do note Linux kernel might be very unhappy about the broken drive during boot, that can cause it to boot way longer than usual. And this might persist until (if at all) the format passes. So a lot of patience is required one way or the other. I would not be surprised to discover that a full format in such conditions can take days due to frequent kernel trips on various errors, which cause it to stall and/or trash the console with a lines of error reports.

Reply 4 of 5, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot. Yes it’s indeed the same as with modern ide drives and lff.

So thanks for confirming my „fear“ reg the device

Reply 5 of 5, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys short update: I found out that my XTIDE bios was interfering with scsi. When I disabled it the drive was correctly identified by afdisk and also accessible via dos.
Strange since xtide uses d000 and the ah1542 d400. Maybe because they in general interfere or because the xtide uses d000 TILL d800 ?!

PS: tested with another hdd that originally showed the same symptoms as not showing up in dos, unable to afdisk etc. The original drive seemed to be broken anyway