VOGONS

Asus K7V Slot A hi-lo-hi-lo beeps

Topic actions

First post, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
i recently bought Asus K7V motherboard, with Athlon 600 CPU. Seller sent me the pictures of working board, but when i tried the board the first time, there was no picture. I connected the speaker to the board just to hear the beep codes if there are any, and i hear "siren like" hi-low-hi-low-hi-low,...... sound. Something like CPU overheat on newer boards. I tried to change everything, and sometimes (every 30 times) i got the bios screen, and after restart, siren again. I pull out BIOS chip, and flash newest one in programmer, and the board was working!!! Just for 3 or 4 restarts 🙁 Now i have siren sound every time. I tried "reset button trick" that i read on some forums, but it worked only once. Did anybody had same problem with this board? Could the caps be the fault, even though they look ok? In fact, the whole motherboard looks like new 😀
Thanks in advance

Attachments

Reply 1 of 36, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BIOS beep codes
https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Since it appears to be Award BIOS, this seems to be a CPU error of some kind. It could be entirely the motherboard causing it. Do the CPU edge connector and slot contacts appear clean? Does reseating the CPU change anything? I have a Slot 1 P3 motherboard that has had many a CPU installed over the years and seems to have some contact issues there.

Reply 2 of 36, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2024-04-19, 19:30:

BIOS beep codes
https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Since it appears to be Award BIOS, this seems to be a CPU error of some kind. It could be entirely the motherboard causing it. Do the CPU edge connector and slot contacts appear clean? Does reseating the CPU change anything? I have a Slot 1 P3 motherboard that has had many a CPU installed over the years and seems to have some contact issues there.

Hi,
i tried to change CPU, but the beeps are the same. I tried to add contact cleaner to the Slot, but no effect at all. Looked into the connector with microscope, can't find anything.... 🙁

Reply 3 of 36, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
butjer1010 wrote on 2024-04-19, 19:16:

Hi,
i recently bought Asus K7V motherboard, with Athlon 600 CPU. Seller sent me the pictures of working board, but when i tried the board the first time, there was no picture. I connected the speaker to the board just to hear the beep codes if there are any, and i hear "siren like" hi-low-hi-low-hi-low,...... sound. Something like CPU overheat on newer boards. I tried to change everything, and sometimes (every 30 times) i got the bios screen, and after restart, siren again. I pull out BIOS chip, and flash newest one in programmer, and the board was working!!! Just for 3 or 4 restarts 🙁 Now i have siren sound every time. I tried "reset button trick" that i read on some forums, but it worked only once. Did anybody had same problem with this board? Could the caps be the fault, even though they look ok? In fact, the whole motherboard looks like new 😀
Thanks in advance

Post code analyzer would really help here. They are super cheap.

Here are all the Award beep codes https://blog.theretroweb.com/2024/01/20/award … ost-codes-list/

“Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.”

Maybe try cleaning the slot some more.

My Gigabyte BX2000 motherboard does a high low high low beep (like a siren) when it can’t detect -5 volts from the power supply. Your motherboard doesn’t have a ISA slot so it’s definitely not that.

Reply 4 of 36, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-20, 07:06:
Post code analyzer would really help here. They are super cheap. […]
Show full quote

Hi,
Thanks in advance

Here are all the Award beep codes https://blog.theretroweb.com/2024/01/20/award … ost-codes-list/

“Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.”

My Gigabyte BX2000 motherboard does a high low high low beep (like a siren) when it can’t detect -5 volts from the power supply. Your motherboard doesn’t have a ISA slot so it’s definitely not that.

I have some cheap analyzer, but it didn't help too much 😀
All the voltage leds are working, clk also, frame led is "dimmed". When i press only button to press on analyzer, i get f-0 on display or end with minus on left or right side.

Attachments

• IMG_20240420_101651.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20240420_101651.jpg
    File size
    765.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20240420_101635.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20240420_101635.jpg
    File size
    751.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 36, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
butjer1010 wrote on 2024-04-20, 08:20:
Show full quote

Hi,
Thanks in advance

All the voltage leds are working, clk also, frame led is "dimmed". When i press only button to press on analyzer, i get f-0 on display or end with minus on left or right side.

That Post Code Analyzer appears to be broken. I have one that does the same thing with the digits. You could try other PCI slots and see if that helps but I think that card may be borked.

I would still try clean the CPU slot again and look for anything bent in there or corrosion.

Reply 6 of 36, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-20, 08:42:
Yes it is, that's for sure, i tried it on few other mbos, and always is 0000 :( I used old toothbrush and ipa, and rubbed for m […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Yes it is, that's for sure, i tried it on few other mbos, and always is 0000 🙁 I used old toothbrush and ipa, and rubbed for more than a minute, but still nothing, only siren sound 🙁

That Post Code Analyzer appears to be broken. I have one that does the same thing with the digits. You could try other PCI slots and see if that helps but I think that card may be borked.

I would still try clean the CPU slot again and look for anything bent in there or corrosion.

Reply 7 of 36, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-20, 08:42:
Do You have any link where to buy normal, working analyzer? I have 2 from ebay, china, and none of them is working. I have some […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Do You have any link where to buy normal, working analyzer? I have 2 from ebay, china, and none of them is working.

Reply 9 of 36, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’ve had the cards not work under these circumstances.

- BIOS version old and buggy, does not send post codes correctly on the bus line
- Sometimes only certain PCI slots provide post codes
- The post analyzer card is faulty (mine died when installing in a mobo with a short)

Tip: ISA slots are more reliable with post code information (doesn’t help in your situation)

The analyzer I bought is eBay item 404650487207 from Australia though. Maybe you have had just bad luck with buying 2 faulty ones. I’ve had better luck with cards that don’t have the bus cable port soldered on. Less components to fail I guess?

Last edited by zuldan on 2024-04-20, 11:20. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 36, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-20, 10:04:
I’ve had the cards not work under these circumstances. […]
Show full quote

I’ve had the cards not work under these circumstances.

- BIOS version old and buggy, does not send post codes correctly on the bus line
- Sometimes only certain PCI slots provide post codes
- The post analyzer card is faulty (mine died when installing in a mobo with a short)

Tip: ISA slots are more reliable with post code information (doesn’t help in your situation)

The analyzer I bought is eBay item 404650487207 from Australia thought. You have had just bad luck with buying 2 faulty ones. I’ve had better luck with cards that don’t have the bus cable port soldered on. Less components to fail I guess?

I updated BIOS from ultimateretro, last one, so i think the bios shouldn't be a problem, unless the chip is somehow damaged (but it worked after update few times). I will try to find one without bus cable port 😀
Thanks

Reply 11 of 36, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is another great tool to assist with diagnosing motherboard problems. An ESR meter allows you to test capacitors while in circuit. You can grab it from Aliexpress. Make sure you calibrate it when turning it on each time (short the 2 cables and push zero).

F8A76735-2BFB-432B-9ABD-191F8FD138ED.jpeg
Filename
File size
66.18 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 14 of 36, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it hasn't been tried already, try plugging in different 3-pin fans in the CPU fan header. Some older motherboards sound the hi-lo-hi-lo over-temp alarm if they can't detect / read the fan's tachometer (RPM) signal. In particular, avoid socket 754 and 939 fans that have a built-in thermistor, as these often "jump" all over the place on their tacho signal line.

Could the caps be the fault, even though they look ok? In fact, the whole motherboard looks like new 😀

Not this time, unfortunately.
All I see are Rubycon and United Chemicon, all reliable series too.

zuldan wrote on 2024-04-20, 11:27:

Here is another great tool to assist with diagnosing motherboard problems. An ESR meter allows you to test capacitors while in circuit. You can grab it from Aliexpress. Make sure you calibrate it when turning it on each time (short the 2 cables and push zero).

That's a useful tool to have, indeed.
However, you -cannot- test capacitors while they are on the board, even if videos and the meter instructions tell you can so. Reason why is because on motherboards, many of the caps are often in parallel. So the chances of getting an accurate reading are very small (probably only so on individual caps that aren't in parallel with anything.)

Reply 16 of 36, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
momaka wrote on 2024-04-20, 13:08:

If it hasn't been tried already, try plugging in different 3-pin fans in the CPU fan header. Some older motherboards sound the hi-lo-hi-lo over-temp alarm if they can't detect / read the fan's tachometer (RPM) signal. In particular, avoid socket 754 and 939 fans that have a built-in thermistor, as these often "jump" all over the place on their tacho signal line.

That's a useful tool to have, indeed.
However, you -cannot- test capacitors while they are on the board, even if videos and the meter instructions tell you can so. Reason why is because on motherboards, many of the caps are often in parallel. So the chances of getting an accurate reading are very small (probably only so on individual caps that aren't in parallel with anything.)
[/quote]

That is a good idea, i tried with 939 cpu fan 😀 Will try to find some older fans to see....

So the esr meter will not help me until i desolder the caps?

Reply 17 of 36, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-20, 11:27:

Problem is that on Aliexpress have 200 sellers, range from 20 - 50€??? Are those for 20€ good ones 😀 ? Could it be some cheap chinese junk, or are they all the same (Mesr-100 model) ?

Reply 18 of 36, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
butjer1010 wrote on 2024-04-20, 13:16:

So the esr meter will not help me until i desolder the caps?

Yes.
The problem with checking caps on board is that if you have two or more connected in parallel (often the case on CPU V_core rail ,but not only) the meter will show the average ESR for all of the parallel caps... so you'll never know if one of them (or all of them) are bad, unless absolutely all of them are terribly terribly bad (near open-circuit for each cap.)

Reply 19 of 36, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
momaka wrote on 2024-04-20, 15:26:

The problem with checking caps on board is that if you have two or more connected in parallel (often the case on CPU V_core rail ,but not only) the meter will show the average ESR for all of the parallel caps... so you'll never know if one of them (or all of them) are bad, unless absolutely all of them are terribly terribly bad (near open-circuit for each cap.)

Average would actually help a lot when measuring in circuit. Bit its not average.
Its 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 +1/R3 + ...
Measuring in circuit is still valid because parallel caps are usually of same make and model and fail together.

-----------------

More advanced boards around 2000 started incorporating mechanisms to signal error/prevent boot before CPU starts running.
butjer1010 have you tried starting the board with no CPU at all? Its possible you will hear same alarm, in that case problem is with either
-FAN detection
-CPU
-CPU power circuit
-some other voltage rail on board
In any of those cases POST card will show nothing.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction