VOGONS

First post, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I'm optimizing my retro PCs.
Like many people, I came across the t5710 through Philscomputerlab. But Phil has the ability to make you curious about a project, but simply doesn't go into much detail, which is a bit annoying, at least for me.
(No offense)

I upgraded to 4GB storage. I've completed the installation three times now, and each time it was terrible.
I combined the drivers from three different packages.

Windows 98SE was installed, by installing from USB, only a DOS 6.22 boot disk worked, so C: is 2GB FAT16 and D: 2GB FAT32. C: is used for OS and DOS, D: for everything else.
SBEMU is used under DOS 7.1.

The BIOS update to version 1.08 Rev. A is new.

But now to the problems and open questions:
1. IRQ
What are the normal IRQs for DOS and Windows? I've now got the USB back to IRQ5 in DOS, but it doesn't make any difference. In Windows the sound always ends up at 10 or 11. What would be optimal? 5 or 7 for the sound and DOS games with sound in Windows don't work?

2. SBEMU/ VIAFMTSR
SBEMU works ok. VIAFMTSR ​​doesn't work any better for me overall, you have to disable the onboard LAN, and it's pretty big. Not a game that doesn't work with SBEMU works with VIAFMTSR.
Do you have a different opinion?

3. PS/2 splitter
Because of my KVM switch, I use a PS/2 Y-cable or splitter. I know it's not ideal. Keyboard is set in the bios. Mouse is keyboard and vice versa, is that normal?
It works sort off, but better if I disable USB keyboard and mouse in the bios.

4. Mouse
The mouse is a general problem. Only cutemouse 2.0A4 works. Not 1.9 or 2.1 or any other mouse driver. The mouse then starts moving on its own and moves incorrectly and clicks continuously.
Despite version 2.0a4, a few games don't work, or at least not for long, when the mouse is even moved. Oregon Trail freezes directly. SimCity 2000 after a short time.

5. Restart bug
In Windows 98 it happens that the restart does not work. A blue screen appears. I installed a reboot patch but it doesn't change anything. Sometimes, after some time and or activity, the restart works normally. Does anyone have this problem? Maybe a solution? All other options have so far also led to the blue screen.

6. USB 2.0 slowdown
It would be a great little machine if it weren't for the USB slowdown. If you connect a USB stick, you immediately lose 15% performance even without activity. Is that normal? Can something be changed about that?

7. USB CD-ROM
I dont have one. Is there also a slowdown? It doesn't work under DOS anyway, right? Still usefull in Windows?

8. Temperature
The device is completely passively cooled. Does anyone know if throttling occurs under heavy usage?

9. Tuning
Memory Interleave Enabler is not compatible? Are there any other options for moderate tuning?

Enough questions for now... Thanks.^^

Reply 1 of 5, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. For sound in DOS you want to use IRQ5 (or IRQ7 if not possible). Just reserve that IRQ in the Bios (set it to Legacy ISA or something like that).
2. I was using VIAFMTSR and tried a handful of games and all worked as expected (a year or so ago). Didn't disable LAN but needed to play with some Bios settings and probably disabled a serial or parallel port.
3. For a PS/2 splitter I used a Lindy 30365 PS/2 Y-Adaptor (available from Amazon etc) which works without problem. Some Y adapter cables are know to cause problems like you describe (not only with a t5710 btw).
4. Can't remember any mouse problems in DOS but as my t5710 is in storage atm I can't check which version of ctmouse I was using.
5. Didn't have a restart problem like you described or any blue screens when I used it.
6. That's a know USB 2.0 problem in Windows 98SE especially with VIA USB chipsets. Not really a lot you can do about it (apart from not using USB).
7. USB cd-rom works in Windows 98SE. If that is useful depends on your use case. 😉 Didn't try it in DOS but normally it won't work.
8. Didn't experience any throttling when playing games. But it probably will if you will run prime95 or so all day.
9. Tuning is not really a thing on a t5710 as the Bios is very limited. Maybe there are some hardware mods possible but then you need some active cooling.

Reply 2 of 5, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you.
1. No such settings on this simple Bios.
2. SBEMU works with everything on. But some games (DOS) wont work on this maschine. With sbemu, viafmtsr or without sound.
3. Thx, i will have a look.
4. USB mouse worked a bit better, but still problems.
5. Only at restart, completly stable otherwise in Win98SE.
6. A 32gb Stick works very well as external storage, but this thing is slow enough without additional slowdown. UT99 with some light hanging is the best it can do.
7. With or without the usb slowdown? I guess wirth slowdown...
8. Aida64 can display the temperature. Not really cool, even without load.
9. No software overclocking? Via Tool? Bios Mod? Anything?

Reply 3 of 5, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not familiar with the model, do you mean it has a single PS/2 port and you can manually select what to use it for?

That will (if correctly implemented in the bios…) configure the KBC/SuperIO accordingly, but doesn't mean it can't try to outsmart you (modern designs accept reversed k/m, in fact it's a wonder the classic ones don't when both have clearly different IDs) 😀

If you simply mean your splitter works if you plug the mouse in the purple socket - it's fine, you can bet competing brands of laptops (the most common computers with a single PS/2 connector) were made expecting different things on the "main" pins, so the colors/labels don't mean much on a different motherboard! 😀

Of course, there's no guarantee the "alternate" pins are implemented in all of the connector/cable/switch…

Reply 4 of 5, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, the machine only has a single PS/2 connection. However, a splitter is expressly provided. But many people use USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard.
The BIOS update has made a difference, I can now select PS/2 Mouse in the menu, and the connections both work without being swapped. Great success...I'm testing another mouse driver again.

Edit:
The other mouse drivers now work. Not bad, just doesn't help. The two problem games continue to hang. Thanks anyway. Somehow no one has tested as much as me in DOS, or my t5710 is broken, who knows.^^