VOGONS

First post, by Vaylo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,

this PSU was inside a case that I purchased some time ago. I did not have any plans for it but did not want to throw it away either. Before I decide on what to do with it, I'd like to hear your opinions. What do you guys think of its topology? Is it an okay build or just cheap junk? Components on the heatsinks are E13007F - NPN transistors and STPR1020CT - rectifier diodes. All caps are Fuhjyyu brand and in good condition. If experts like this PSU, then I might keep it and invest in some good Nichicon or Panasonic caps. Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

IMG-20240402-131551496.jpg

IMG-20240420-220650293.jpg

IMG-20240420-220655833-HDR.jpg

IMG-20240420-220700742-HDR.jpg

IMG-20240420-220736998-HDR.jpg

IMG-20240420-220744809.jpg

Reply 1 of 5, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Other than the Fuhjyyu caps, it looks good: standard topology for AT units, adequately sized parts for the specified ratings, 18AWG wires, input filter with safety rated caps, LM339 comparator and fan controller. Not bad, CWT designs are decent but they had a love relationship with Fuhjyyu that ends up hurting the quality of the units.

I'd replace all the caps (Rubycon YXF, Panasonic FC or Nichicon PW should work great on the output filter), even the two big ones on the primary side as Fuhjyyu is not to be trusted and relubricate/replace the fan and you're done. It should last a good time after a refurbish.

Reply 2 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC Channel Well became today's Corsair, or more accurately their main producer of PSUs. I also own one of these and it is a stable, fine unit. I haven't gone to the trouble of recapping it for the sake of it, the caps on it seem to be fine in mine.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 5, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks good to me. The only thing I don't like is the fan controller with the thermistor (the green thing on that daughterboard) hanging out in the air.

I'm surprised that the caps didn't blow up, but maybe Fuhjyyu didn't suck until the late '90s or early 2000s when Antec power supplies (also made by Channel Well) became popular.

Reply 5 of 5, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lti wrote on 2024-04-21, 01:03:

I'm surprised that the caps didn't blow up, but maybe Fuhjyyu didn't suck until the late '90s or early 2000s when Antec power supplies (also made by Channel Well) became popular.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Fuhjyyu was founded in 1988 (http://www.fuhjyyu.com.tw/en/history.html) and probably put loads of reliable caps into the gear we used day-to-day back then. This 1996 PSU pre-dates the plague of the late 90s/early 00s, and even if the caps blow now, 28 years after the PSU was built, they will have out-lasted their intended lifespan.