VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anybody know a good IDE to SD (or CF to SD) adapter that can use a V90 SD card at the full 90MB/s rating?

The fastest CF cards have too much capacity for the operating systems I plan to install, and they're expensive.

However, it appears non-PCI Express-based SD cards can go up to 90MB/s, and they aren't as pricey as a high-end CF card.

Reply 2 of 4, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lylat1an wrote on 2024-04-20, 23:13:

V90
[…]
SD cards can go up to 90MB/s

under ideal conditions, which - like every class rating except A1 - are strictly sequential writes only 😀

Mind you, it's the same for CFs and all other consumer grade memory cards - which in their respective heyday all pandered to people not wanting to bottleneck their expensive digital camera when used as directed (= reformatting in-camera "before every use")

90 MBps is also tautologically more than 25, so clearly an UHS speed requiring an interface capable of those modes - not likely when close to 100% of those SD to IDE converters use a rather old chip;

even more, a picture search for "v90 sd card" only shows UHS-II cards - the ones with extra pins required to do 8-bit transfers, that pretty much only caught on top end cameras… the ones that until recently kept CF in the market and are nowadays pushing for proprietary and/or stupidly expensive cards that you can't buy in electronics or dedicated computer stores 😀 🙁

Tldr - It's quite likely for what you're asking for to have never been invented to date 🙁

Reply 3 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lylat1an wrote on 2024-04-20, 23:13:

Does anybody know a good IDE to SD (or CF to SD) adapter that can use a V90 SD card at the full 90MB/s rating?

The fastest CF cards have too much capacity for the operating systems I plan to install, and they're expensive.

However, it appears non-PCI Express-based SD cards can go up to 90MB/s, and they aren't as pricey as a high-end CF card.

Pretty much the only SD to IDE (or CF) option is the FC1307 chip. It won't even saturate ATA-33 (33MB/second). Adapters using it are ubiquitous.

There was at least one other option, the INIC-2051 chip. Good look finding an adapter that uses it. It is faster than the FC1307, but is less compatible in my experience.

Your best bet is SATA to IDE. Marvell based ones are most compatible (and support SMART and TRIM), JMICRON based ones come second (also support SMART and TRIM, but have issues with DMA modes on VIA based southbridges and Intel ICH4 and possibly newer ones ). Sunplus based one are also an option (no TRIM or SMART support, AFAICR).

If you go with an adapter with an unmarked/obfuscated chip, then who knows how good/bad or fast/slow it will be.

Re: Small capacity SSD PATA/SATA benchmarks

Reply 4 of 4, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2024-04-21, 00:51:

Pretty much the only SD to IDE (or CF) option is the FC1307 chip. It won't even saturate ATA-33 (33MB/second). Adapters using it are ubiquitous.

There was at least one other option, the INIC-2051 chip. Good look finding an adapter that uses it. It is faster than the FC1307, but is less compatible in my experience.

Re: Small capacity SSD PATA/SATA benchmarks

Very true. 99.9% of the SD adapters on the market use the FC1307 chip with the sinitechi 1.2 firmware. Pairing an adapter with a faster SD can improve things a bit on the latency side of things, but internally they are all limited at 25MB/s between the SD and the FC1307 chip, which is good enough for everything up to ATA33 but if you have ATA33 or faster, msata-pata bridges are the way to go. If you are older than ATA 33, the msata bridges will likely have better latency and marginally better throughput, but I have had compatibility issues with the sata adapaters on some systems older than 1992 and those rare VLB systems that did Multiword DMA.