VOGONS

First post, by fsinan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought this board and found out that the cache is not working. It seems there is 256K cache on board but was not working according to cache tests.

Cache chips are fake and fake cache bios is loaded on board. Bought a set of cache chips. Tried out 128K config and 512K config with UMC256K srams and ISSI 1024K srams. Tried out 20 chips 10 from each other and they did not work how many combinations I tried, at that time I did not have a TL688 or T48 programmer to test the chips.

System does not boot into DOS while external cache is enable even with slowest settings of cache. When cache disabled, it is OK.

Then I bought a T48 and tested all srams, all new chips that I bought were tested OK. The ones came with board were all fake as we understood before from the printings and fake cache bios which is listed on the retroweb too.

Then I thought maybe if I use the normal bios, things may work and program a new bios chip. Installed it, again failed with external cache enabled.

Then I borrowed a set of working cache from my other motherboard with same -15 speed and tested, again failed. I tested my new cache chips on that board and they worked.

It seems new cache chips are ok and bios is new but this ST1A-JK-042E Rev.B mobo is not working with cache even with slowest settings.

Any ideas? Might be a hidden feature to set in bios or a hw problem?

System:1
Cyrix 5x86-100GP
U-Board ST1A with "0"KB Cache 😀
System:2
AMD K6-2-475(Changing frequently with Cyrix 6x86MX PR-233)
TMC MI5VP4
System:3
UMC U5S-40
486UL-P101

Reply 1 of 7, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fsinan wrote on 2024-04-21, 08:02:
I bought this board and found out that the cache is not working. It seems there is 256K cache on board but was not working accor […]
Show full quote

I bought this board and found out that the cache is not working. It seems there is 256K cache on board but was not working according to cache tests.

Cache chips are fake and fake cache bios is loaded on board. Bought a set of cache chips. Tried out 128K config and 512K config with UMC256K srams and ISSI 1024K srams. Tried out 20 chips 10 from each other and they did not work how many combinations I tried, at that time I did not have a TL688 or T48 programmer to test the chips.

System does not boot into DOS while external cache is enable even with slowest settings of cache. When cache disabled, it is OK.

Then I bought a T48 and tested all srams, all new chips that I bought were tested OK. The ones came with board were all fake as we understood before from the printings and fake cache bios which is listed on the retroweb too.

Then I thought maybe if I use the normal bios, things may work and program a new bios chip. Installed it, again failed with external cache enabled.

Then I borrowed a set of working cache from my other motherboard with same -15 speed and tested, again failed. I tested my new cache chips on that board and they worked.

It seems new cache chips are ok and bios is new but this ST1A-JK-042E Rev.B mobo is not working with cache even with slowest settings.

That does not sound good.
I guess it is a hardware problem. Since the board was shipped with fake cache chips, for sure the producer of the board did not test the board with real cache.
On this picture
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/u-boar … rev-semicolon-b
there are resistors on the non equipped F244 place (between first and second PCI slot)
No clue if this has any relevance.
Maybe an other Vogons user owns such a board, too and can tell.

Reply 2 of 7, by fsinan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-04-22, 17:44:
That does not sound good. I guess it is a hardware problem. Since the board was shipped with fake cache chips, for sure the prod […]
Show full quote
I bought this board and found out that the cache is not working. It seems there is 256K cache on board but was not working accor […]
Show full quote

I guess it is a hardware problem. Since the board was shipped with fake cache chips, for sure the producer of the board did not test the board with real cache.
On this picture
there are resistors on the non equipped F244 place (between first and second PCI slot)

This is my board:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboard/image/img … c2909683688.jpg

Cyrix 5x86-100GP
TMC MI5VP4
UMC U5S-40
486UL-P101

Reply 3 of 7, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fsinan wrote on 2024-04-22, 18:09:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-04-22, 17:44:
That does not sound good. I guess it is a hardware problem. Since the board was shipped with fake cache chips, for sure the prod […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

On this picture

This is my board:

Yes. It does not have those resistors over the missing F244.

Reply 4 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost identical, the resistors, a capacitor, and U16 (no idea what that is) are present on one and not the other.

fsinan, is the photo of your board with the fake cache chips present ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2024-04-22, 18:23:

Almost identical, the resistors, a capacitor, and U16 (no idea what that is)

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lp2951.pdf
something is powered by this regulator, no idea what tho

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 7, by fsinan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Almost identical, the resistors, a capacitor, and U16 (no idea what that is) are present on one and not the other.

Cyrix 5x86-100GP
TMC MI5VP4
UMC U5S-40
486UL-P101

Reply 7 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fsinan wrote on 2024-04-23, 19:28:

apparently this link got mangled. But I get that it's the same one as the one you previously posted,
So I'm going for Yes. that photo was the board with the fake cache chips present.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port