VOGONS

K6-III+ and cooling

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-04-30, 04:04:

I am indeed limited with my board, though I think that a Vogons user named soggi made a modded bios to select a higher FSB. If I had a gigabyte board, I could get it to 633, but I am happy with 600. I will be using a Voodoo5 paired with a Voodoo2 for older stuff. I'm not currently using the V5 in anything so I want to put it to use. That CM heatsink is definitely bigger, but I think the problem is the stock thermal solution. I still have some MX-4 and another tube of some random stuff (if I can find it - I just saw it a few days ago, but you know how it goes, hehehe,) so at some point I'll try it again. The heatsink that came with it reduced the heat quite a bit with the MX-4, so I do want to give the bigger CM another chance with some of that stuff. Plus, it is easier to find really good 60mm fans than it is to find 50mm ones. So far, the only small Noctua I found is 40mm (makes me wonder how big the fans on the V5 are..) What I need to find is an old school fan adapter. The 3d printed one I bought didn't do much of anything, but laying an 80mm on top of the heatsink brought the temps so low that I couldn't believe it! However, it was so loud that I wouldn't go with that particular option.

I will probably try VIA 4in1 4.35 (I think that is the version,) though I read many posts with people going earlier. The biggest reason for this build is the speed-lowering benefits for DOS games. I am half-way through Wing Commander SM2 and am itching to jump into II and III and some other games. I haven't played a newer game in months. I have lost interest in them. But playing Quest For Glor and WC and other games on a 486 and then a Pentium 1 has been great!

I also reset the dip switches back to where they were for voltage, because the bios started acting weird.

I've got an stl for a 50mm -> 60mm fan adapter that worked for me to replace the fan on a stock socket 7 heatsink. Do you have a 3D printer?

Reply 21 of 21, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aspiringnobody wrote on 2024-04-30, 09:59:
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-04-30, 04:04:

I am indeed limited with my board, though I think that a Vogons user named soggi made a modded bios to select a higher FSB. If I had a gigabyte board, I could get it to 633, but I am happy with 600. I will be using a Voodoo5 paired with a Voodoo2 for older stuff. I'm not currently using the V5 in anything so I want to put it to use. That CM heatsink is definitely bigger, but I think the problem is the stock thermal solution. I still have some MX-4 and another tube of some random stuff (if I can find it - I just saw it a few days ago, but you know how it goes, hehehe,) so at some point I'll try it again. The heatsink that came with it reduced the heat quite a bit with the MX-4, so I do want to give the bigger CM another chance with some of that stuff. Plus, it is easier to find really good 60mm fans than it is to find 50mm ones. So far, the only small Noctua I found is 40mm (makes me wonder how big the fans on the V5 are..) What I need to find is an old school fan adapter. The 3d printed one I bought didn't do much of anything, but laying an 80mm on top of the heatsink brought the temps so low that I couldn't believe it! However, it was so loud that I wouldn't go with that particular option.

I will probably try VIA 4in1 4.35 (I think that is the version,) though I read many posts with people going earlier. The biggest reason for this build is the speed-lowering benefits for DOS games. I am half-way through Wing Commander SM2 and am itching to jump into II and III and some other games. I haven't played a newer game in months. I have lost interest in them. But playing Quest For Glor and WC and other games on a 486 and then a Pentium 1 has been great!

I also reset the dip switches back to where they were for voltage, because the bios started acting weird.

I've got an stl for a 50mm -> 60mm fan adapter that worked for me to replace the fan on a stock socket 7 heatsink. Do you have a 3D printer?

I do not, but I have been considering investing in one because of situations like this. That, and I want to print some other cool stuff I have been thinking about and have seen (I never got my hands on Witcher 2 dice from the collector's edition but I have seen 3d printed versions which look cool!) I have to conduct some research to find out what the best options are. I see a million plastic printers and that there are resin printers as well.