VOGONS

No beep codes from motherboard

Topic actions

First post, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good day! I recently picked up an ASUS P5NSLI motherboard in unknown condition for free, hoping it would work for my E6700 I had sitting around collecting dust. I got it home, installed the CPU, one stick of DDR2 ram, and a video card and got nothing. It will turn on, the fans spin (the video card fan stays on high), but no post or anything on the screen. I tried without the ram and no beeps. So I uninstalled the video card and the CPU and I could get it to turn on, but still no beep codes.

Looking the board over and nothing looks bad. All the cap's look good, no damage at all. Could the motherboard just be dead or could it be my CPU?

Thanks for the help!

Reply 1 of 32, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A pic?
Is the video card selector present?

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asus-p5nsli

I'd read the manual for unusual settings.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 2 of 32, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-04-23, 13:03:

A pic?

Attachments

Reply 4 of 32, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-04-23, 13:23:

You could try by reprogramming the bios.

Deox the cpu socket.

You don't have a POST card? That could help.

I just bought a post card this weekend from eBay, waiting for it to get here. I don’t have any “deox “.

Should it give beeps with no cpu though? I always thought it did.

Thanks for the help!

Reply 5 of 32, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnvosh wrote on 2024-04-23, 15:12:
I just bought a post card this weekend from eBay, waiting for it to get here. I don’t have any “deox “. […]
Show full quote
Nexxen wrote on 2024-04-23, 13:23:

You could try by reprogramming the bios.

Deox the cpu socket.

You don't have a POST card? That could help.

I just bought a post card this weekend from eBay, waiting for it to get here. I don’t have any “deox “.

Should it give beeps with no cpu though? I always thought it did.

Thanks for the help!

Maybe try some alcohol, if they are somewhat oxidized it could avoid cpu to work.
Go light on it.

No cpu it shouldn't beep, with a cpu it should. Not all did, maybe the manual says something.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 6 of 32, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you have a CMOS battery installed when you tried it out? Some motherboards will not POST without one.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 7 of 32, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnvosh wrote on 2024-04-23, 13:15:

There is no sticker on the Bios, so maybe somebody played around with it.
Without a Bios nothing happens.

EDIT: Of course without CPU it is the same. Even if it can beep without memory, minimum should be CPU and RAM.

Reply 10 of 32, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Karbist wrote on 2024-04-23, 18:58:

I see discoloration under the north bridge, hopefully solder joints are not cracked under the chip, not a big fan of nForce motherboards with passive cooling.

I removed the chipset heatsink and everything was looking good, no discolouration. It could be the angle of the camera and light....

Reply 11 of 32, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I took and reseated everything, but a fresh battery in. I even took and removed the heatsink from the CPU and had my finger on the power switch of the PSU. The CPU is getting warm, slowly, so I'm guessing that means the CPU is working? I have tried two different video cards and no difference.... Even tried without a video card in and still no beep saying that it has posted or anything.

Reply 13 of 32, by Karbist

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
johnvosh wrote on 2024-04-24, 00:32:

I removed the chipset heatsink and everything was looking good, no discolouration. It could be the angle of the camera and light....

The copper on back of the board beneath the north bridge has darker color in your pic.

IMG_0702.JPG
Filename
IMG_0702.JPG
File size
46.52 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 17 of 32, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kotel wrote on 2024-04-26, 17:10:

Can you post a pic of the north bridge?

Attachments

Reply 18 of 32, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
goofyahhuncle wrote on 2024-04-26, 07:20:

Have you tried testing the CPU in another board or swapping in a different CPU?

Unfortunately I don't have another CPU that will work in this board. This CPU was pulled from a working system.

Reply 19 of 32, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nForce 4 SLi. Forget fixing it, it's bumpgate and nothing will fix it because it's the substrate that has gone bad.
I have had several nForce 4 boards (both AMD and Intel) that have went to the trash for that reason alone - bumpgate riddled chips that did not get a revised version with fixed bumps.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB