VOGONS

First post, by RobbieBenzi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,
I'm planning on building a multiboot system similiar to
this booting various OSes, starting from DOS and upward till Windows 7/10 (and even MacOS if the hardware let me do so)
My concern Is that I'd like to make some DOS/Windows installations share the same partition like Adventure in Nostalgia did
here and here here

Now the problem Is that I'd like to access the various sistems more or less directly or in a more intuitive fashion instead of having to run circles around the various Windows Boot Manager generic "Previous versions of Windows" then another menu, and another and another and so on.

Most thread that I have read scouting the forum around are about hiding other OSes' partitions, and i surely need that, but I need something able to discern and list also multiple OSes within the same partition, replacing Windows Boot Menu and maybe even chainloadable in case I need a specific bootloader for MacOS and/or Linux/Newer OSes.

For what Is worth I'm using a ASUS P5G41T-M LX V2 as a motherboard

Any suggestion will be really appreciated!

Last edited by RobbieBenzi on 2024-04-25, 17:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That sounds more like a "because I can" than a "because it's useful" thing... but you do you. Here's some thoughts:

If you want to share a partition with DOS then that's gotta be a FAT16 one, limiting it to 2GB. Maybe you want to rethink that requirement? Would being able to see the DOS partition from Windows, but not the other way around, be good enough? nvm, I misread, cross-OS access doesn't seem to be a requirement.

Also, I'm not sure whether Win7 and 10 will still boot off of MBR partitioned disks (and too lazy to look that up rn)... I know they default to GPT at least. If they don't support the old style then they'll have to go on their own disk.

You might run into HDD size limits with various OSes, e.g. the 9x series support only up to 137GB (at least without third party patches). If you split that between a dozen OS installs then each one gets less... which might become an issue with the later ones, which are serious space hogs even for a bare bones install.

Last edited by elszgensa on 2024-04-25, 15:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd recommend taking a look at BootIt! Bare Metal: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal/

I've been using it with my own multi-boot setup (I've got nine OS installs on one system). According to the documentation, it does support booting multiple OS from a single partition.

I haven't tried that feature myself as I've set up individual partitions for each OS. Though I do have additional partitions that are shared among various operating systems. For example, I have a couple partitions for DOS games and I make them visible to all my DOS and Windows partitions, since I can run DOS games from various OS.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elszgensa wrote on 2024-04-25, 15:20:

You might run into HDD size limits with various OSes, e.g. the 9x series support only up to 137GB (at least without third party patches). If you split that between a dozen OS installs then each one gets less... which might become an issue with the later ones, which are serious space hogs even for a bare bones install.

Partition and disk size limits for various OS do make multi-OS setups more challenging.

I worked around this by using a 128 GB drive for DOS and early Windows installs (3.11/9x/Me). Whereas NTFS based Windows installs (NT/2000/XP) used a larger drive.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 4 of 5, by RobbieBenzi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-04-25, 15:20:
That sounds more like a "because I can" than a "because it's useful" thing... but you do you. Here's some thoughts: […]
Show full quote

That sounds more like a "because I can" than a "because it's useful" thing... but you do you. Here's some thoughts:

If you want to share a partition with DOS then that's gotta be a FAT16 one, limiting it to 2GB. Maybe you want to rethink that requirement? Would being able to see the DOS partition from Windows, but not the other way around, be good enough? nvm, I misread, cross-OS access doesn't seem to be a requirement.

Also, I'm not sure whether Win7 and 10 will still boot off of MBR partitioned disks (and too lazy to look that up rn)... I know they default to GPT at least. If they don't support the old style then they'll have to go on their own disk.

Sure Is something made for fun and for the challenge, not something I need for a professional environment, but I think this stands true for most amateur retro project and why most of us are here.

Maybe I have not made It clear in my opening post, and I apologize for that, but even though I have not entirely planned the disks/OS layout, the plan Is to use more then one disk over all, to partially circumvent the issues you were pointing with GPT requirements in newer OS (Windows 10 as you said, but also probably MacOS), and that's why I was talking about the possibility of being chainloadable, so I could have a primary "umbrella" bootloader for modern OSes eventually chainloading either the "selector" bootloader able to Boot the various old Windows OSes within the same partition, or a newer bootloader for modern OSes. It would be even Better if that puzzle work is not required, obviously, but is a possibility I was considering too

Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-25, 15:24:

I'd recommend taking a look at BootIt! Bare Metal: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal/

I've been using it with my own multi-boot setup (I've got nine OS installs on one system). According to the documentation, it does support booting multiple OS from a single partition.

I haven't tried that feature myself as I've set up individual partitions for each OS. Though I do have additional partitions that are shared among various operating systems. For example, I have a couple partitions for DOS games and I make them visible to all my DOS and Windows partitions, since I can run DOS games from various OS.

I will give it an Eye and a try for sure, I was looking and considering PLOP, but my experience with bootloaders Is fairly limited, mostly to GRUB and having used PLOP on Floppy once or twice to enable Boot from USB in a PC that didn't support It.
That's also part of the reason why I started this project =)

Reply 5 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RobbieBenzi wrote on 2024-04-25, 19:15:

I will give it an Eye and a try for sure, I was looking and considering PLOP, but my experience with bootloaders Is fairly limited, mostly to GRUB and having used PLOP on Floppy once or twice to enable Boot from USB in a PC that didn't support It.
That's also part of the reason why I started this project =)

When I was recently looking for bootloaders, PLOP and GRUB were recommended a lot.

Ultimately I went with BootIt, because while it is a commercial product, it's also a partition manager and very well documented. Just reading their documentation is basically what sold me on it.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build