VOGONS

First post, by hejluxom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I got myself an old 286, victorv286c, that has no video out at the moment. While I was looking around, trying to look for any obvious damage, I found a strange Och on the back of the motherboard. See pictures. What is this thing? It looks professionally made, but would guess not from the factory? Anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_5970.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_5970.jpeg
    File size
    1.81 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_5969.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_5969.jpeg
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 8, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It also can be an upgrade board, like the one that Adrian Black talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhqZiMhe5UA&p … W50IDI4Ng%3D%3D

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 3 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No coprocessor there, and you arent upgrading anything with four 74 series chips 😀 this is some kind of a bugfix discovered in pre production, cheaper than scrapping all already manufactured defective boards.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bodge board, I’ve made a few of those, can’t say what this one does though.

There are some processors with flexible pcbs that have stuff similar to this, but this seems to have more attachment points.

Probably fixing something that was messed up, omitted, or to improve compatibility with a cpu.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually this is mod board. To fix the original design that was missed when made, saves the cost of redoing whole board again.

See here:

https://youtu.be/jey8NmffhTo?si=MJfoiYpANPD7bZe5

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 8, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It hooks up to the Bus Cycle Status pair, Hold, Reset, Clock, Memory/#IO on the 286 and the DMA Request and IRQ signals from the ISA riser. I'd assume it fixes something to do with generating Hold for the CPU when a card asserts a DMA request.