VOGONS

First post, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install windows 98 on Athlon 64 3200+ . At some point of installation I have the error " Windows protection error you need to restart " I have 500mb memory and starting in safe mode I saw in device manager that almost all the hardware is supported ( only LAN was with question mark but that's nothing I care) . I apply the patch from JHRobotics (patcher9x) but nothing changed I get the same error . The patch from Microsoft AMDK6UPD doesnt work with Winsows 98 is for Windows 95 . Has anyone solution for this ?

Pentium III 1ghz Coppermine 750mb SBLive! Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

Reply 3 of 19, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AMDK6UPD isn't needed for Windows 98 which has already the fix for faster AMD K6 CPUs. Are you running the first edition?

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 19, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it boots in safe mode...

You might also try either the 2gb+ ram patch (even though you have 500mbyte), and or, edit system.ini to exclude the adapter rom region from being managed by vmm.

https://archive.org/details/PATCHMEM

http://tinas-sliderules.me.uk/Msconfig.HTM

If there is something that wont share the adapter region (some sata controllers are like this!), forcibly telling windows not to use those regions for fancy vmm tricks can greatly help. That's what the emmexclude=xxxxx line is really for. Excluding the whole region is overkill, usually.

Just trial and error what the offensive region is, and exclude it. It goes in the 386enh section.

Reply 5 of 19, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AMDK6UPD isn't needed for Windows 98 which has already the fix for faster AMD K6 CPUs. Are you running the first edition?

no SE and also I tried unattended and UBCD which has several patches but same result

You might also try either the 2gb+ ram patch (even though you have 500mbyte), and or, edit system.ini to exclude the adapter rom region from being managed by vmm.

I did some modifications in system ini but that were MaxPhysPage=20000 and , MaxFileCache=262144 and ChunkSize=1024
I'll try also the mentioned in the link

I don't know if it is worth to try windows ME in case something is different but I realy don't think there will be any

Reply 6 of 19, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update the Millenium installed ok with no errors and to sata ssd natively, they are super fast but unfortunately drivers missing , including chipset and audio , and since pci drivers are missing can't install a SB . that would be a interesting windows 98 experiment . But it seems that it is a strictly XP oriented motherboard so I don't spent any more energy on this . On the opposite quite a few P4 work exceptionally fine on windows98 especially the low northwoods

Reply 7 of 19, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What chipset / motherboard are you using? My Win98 box is an Athlon64 and I've had success with both VIA and NForce chipsets. The NForce is missing the PCI IRQ assignment stuff, so DOS sound compatibility isn't there.

Reply 8 of 19, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SScorpio wrote on 2024-05-10, 11:55:

What chipset / motherboard are you using? My Win98 box is an Athlon64 and I've had success with both VIA and NForce chipsets. The NForce is missing the PCI IRQ assignment stuff, so DOS sound compatibility isn't there.

But there is possibility to have sound in DOS games via SB16 emu, if you have Live! or Audigy 1/2 sound card.

Reply 9 of 19, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the motherboard is ASrock 939N68PV-GLAN with GeForce 7050 / nForce 630A MCP

Reply 10 of 19, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
laios67 wrote on 2024-05-10, 16:33:

the motherboard is ASrock 939N68PV-GLAN with GeForce 7050 / nForce 630A MCP

That's the issue, your motherboard is from 2007 and was released after Windows Vista. I believe the NForce 3 boards were the last with Win98/ME support. That's why there are no drivers, it's a Vista board that also works with XP.

If you want an Win9X on an Athlon 64, try a Socket 754 board and CPU.

Reply 12 of 19, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the Win98SE version, retro -loving programmers have now written all modern accessories, drivers, mods. Each of the configurations mentioned in the topic can be set flawlessly as it operates on a much later modern machine. Pld Ryzen:

StabR98240509.jpg
Filename
StabR98240509.jpg
File size
461.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
OTW98Zen.jpg
Filename
OTW98Zen.jpg
File size
354.76 KiB
Views
File license

The 3 body problems cannot be solved, neither for future quantum computers, even for the remainder of the universe. The Proton 2D is circling a planet and stepping back to the quantum size in 11 dimensions.

Reply 13 of 19, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

interesting perhaps a little too much for my taste to use a ryzen . Then main problem in my case was the lack of chipset drivers , for graphics I put a X550 which was fine , for the rest I needed divers that despite the search I didn't found . I used generic USB drivers , they also work , but the last missing are onboard sound and pci , which means no sound

Reply 14 of 19, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
laios67 wrote on 2024-05-11, 17:01:

interesting perhaps a little too much for my taste to use a ryzen . Then main problem in my case was the lack of chipset drivers , for graphics I put a X550 which was fine , for the rest I needed divers that despite the search I didn't found . I used generic USB drivers , they also work , but the last missing are onboard sound and pci , which means no sound

I have many retro machines. The zen started to solve it ... I knew. It proved to be better than retro machines, eg in Quake or Q2Dos Fullhd, the machine does not cough with software rendezes. And the slower goes down to 1MHz XT.
There's a chipset driver, you just have to find it, Win98 and XP :

225621_yggcl7yz6c88501c_infozen98.jpg
Filename
225621_yggcl7yz6c88501c_infozen98.jpg
File size
439.02 KiB
Views
File license
225621_bwz9vmhmhyfchyzo_3800x_nxp_231108.jpg
Filename
225621_bwz9vmhmhyfchyzo_3800x_nxp_231108.jpg
File size
433.16 KiB
Views
File license

Drives AHCI for Win98 :

225621_dx0ewdf5hmb44c4c_zen_98_ssds.jpg
Filename
225621_dx0ewdf5hmb44c4c_zen_98_ssds.jpg
File size
379.06 KiB
Views
File license

PCI is with Chinese converter, sound with a completely good SB0060, DOS under sbemu, Win under factory driver.

225621_jlhyn75qpoyfwssp_pciepci.jpg
Filename
225621_jlhyn75qpoyfwssp_pciepci.jpg
File size
417.6 KiB
Views
File license
225621_xkfiwmtzya5zboa2_zen2finaledgefront.jpg
Filename
225621_xkfiwmtzya5zboa2_zen2finaledgefront.jpg
File size
285.71 KiB
Views
File license

The 3 body problems cannot be solved, neither for future quantum computers, even for the remainder of the universe. The Proton 2D is circling a planet and stepping back to the quantum size in 11 dimensions.

Reply 15 of 19, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried a sound card? A SBLive or Audigy 1/2 would be more compatible with old games anyway. Perhaps even a Vortex 2 card would work but you might run into problems with the drivers and such a new motherboard.

Though yeah the newest Athlon 64 chipsets I've used with 98 are nForce3 and VIA K8T800.

Reply 16 of 19, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2024-05-11, 18:08:

Have you tried a sound card? A SBLive or Audigy 1/2 would be more compatible with old games anyway. Perhaps even a Vortex 2 card would work but you might run into problems with the drivers and such a new motherboard.

Though yeah the newest Athlon 64 chipsets I've used with 98 are nForce3 and VIA K8T800.

S939 A64X2-->S775PCIe P45 Core2Duo-->X99 Haswell Xeon(C612)-->Zen 1600AF-->Zen 3800X : Evolution, I carried an install on each other, each has Win98SE ... and DOS6.22/7.1 is okay.

Reply 17 of 19, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes but since there is no pci recognised the system doesn't seem them at all

Reply 18 of 19, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have many retro machines. The zen started to solve it ... I knew. It proved to be better than retro machines, eg in Quake or Q2Dos Fullhd, the machine does not cough with software rendezes. And the slower goes down to 1MHz XT.

don't you ever came across "windows protection error" during installation of windows 98 ?

Reply 19 of 19, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
laios67 wrote on 2024-05-11, 18:51:

don't you ever came across "windows protection error" during installation of windows 98 ?

In the past, maybe not in the Madness project anymore ... Since:
I installed it with a single 512MB RAM module for S939, then put the Loew Driver, and I took this image to Core2 and Zen, and after Loew Driver, there is unlimited RAM and storage and only 32768TB, but I couldn't test it yet 😀 ,:-XD.
And for state -of -the -art machines, Vcache Mod - Cregfix - also requires no defense error.
It is not as easy as I write, you need experiments + earnestness in 98. If installations need to be carved in reduced mode, you also need routine.