VOGONS

First post, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have set up a dual-video card system that runs Windows 98, Windows XP, and Windows 7. I installed 98 first, then XP, then 7. I further have Windows 98 configured to give you a separate menu where you can boot directly into DOS.

Everything works great, with just one problem. The initial boot menu is erroneously displaying the first entry from the legacy OS as a third option.

So when I turn on the computer, I get the following options:

-Windows 7
-DOS, Windows 98, or Windows XP
-DOS or Windows 98

On the first 2 are what SHOULD be there. The third one should not.

Choosing Windows 7 takes you as expected to Windows 7.

Choosing DOS, Windows 98, or Windows XP takes you to the XP boot menu that existed before I installed Windows 7. It looks like this:
-DOS or Windows 98
-Windows XP

And that menu works just fine.

It is the third entry in the first menu I can't figure out how to get rid of - the "DOS or Windows 98." This is a carbon copy of the first entry in the XP menu and its text changes if I change the text of the XP menu. It doesn't show up anywhere in bcdedit, and it doesn't matter which order I choose in displayorder (current then ntldr or ntldr then current, those 2 will swap order but the third one always remains).

I'm hoping somebody here is a little more knowledgeable about bcdedit than I am as I suspect I need to change something there, I just don't know what. I can post the entirety of the bcdedit text if needed.

btw - if I actually select that option, I get a "Windows failed to start" error with a 0xC00000BA error