VOGONS

First post, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a V3-3000 AGP from ebay. It's in very rough shape, rusted bracket and VGA port, caps missing and some other small components missing. It was cheap though, sold "untested" which usually means dead. But this one isn't dead. 😀 It works, though with artifacts.
I want to properly restore it. I know all the electrolytic caps are 10uF/16V, that is not a problem I have those. But I see some other small components missing as well.
I know there was somewhere a list of components for this card, but I can't find it. Does anyone have a link to it? Highly appreciate any help.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 1 of 8, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know that there is a component list for the Voodoo 3 - there's a comprehensive one for the Voodoo 2 though: Voodoo 2 component map
What components are missing on your card? I could check my card for the values.

Could you get a screenshot of the artifacts that you're seeing? And maybe a picture of the card? I've done some extensive testing of memory on the V3 and the artifact pattern alone lets you determine where the fault is down to the individual data line / chip, because the framebuffer is a relatively simple thing compared to later & nvidia cards.
Check this thread out for how to find out what memory is bad: Re: Accurately troubleshooting video memory faults with VMTCE
And my Voodoo 3 3000's eventual repair: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Reply 2 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't had time to do a thorough inspection of the card, or testing in any graphical mode. Here's a (not great) picture of the card, and images of the artifacts on the POST screen. It does not show artifacts during the VGA BIOS splash screen, or in the BIOS setup screen.

IMG-20240503-053721.jpg
card

IMG-20240503-053652.jpg
VGA splash

IMG-20240503-053619.jpg
IMG-20240503-053636.jpg
BIOS

And yes, it first needs a thorough cleaning, rust removal, changing the VGA connector, reattaching the missing electrolytic (and probably replacing all of the others because they don't look great) etc.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh and thank you for offering to check components on your card but that won't be necessary. I have another working V3 and could check myself. I just thought it'd save me some time if there was such a list available.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 7 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I know what needs to be done. I was just wondering if there is a list of values for the parts on the board.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I havent seen such list. Optimally someone would make a boardview for all 3dfx cards like they did for Amigas https://www.amigapcb.org

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction