VOGONS

First post, by pjturpeau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm trying to install a network card in my Dell Optiplex GS-5133L and I'm facing compatibility issues with my already installed GUS Max card.

The GUS is working correctly when installed alone (both DOS and Win98SE).
The 3COM is working correctly when installed alone (WIN98SE).

I've changed the address ports, irq, dma configuration of the GUS with no success.
The GUS setup/install detect the address port as occupied by something which is not the MAX, while I see no address/irq/dma conflicts in the Win98 device manager.

What is specific to my configuration is the ISA/PCI riser card of the Optiplex (see photos).
The riser card has 2 ISA ports and 2 PCI ports.
The motherboard is an Intel 430FX (FX Triton I) with PCI 2.0

Do you think I could have better success with another NIC ? Intel Pro/100S ? or even an ISA one ?
Any advice?

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited by pjturpeau on 2024-05-05, 08:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

is the 3com an etherlink III?

By default, the etherlink III wants to squat on IRQ5. (Or IRQ10, which would conflict with any tertiary IDE interface that might be on the card...)

This poses a problem, since the LPT port lives on IRQ7, The COM ports live on IRQs 3 and 4, the video card historically straddles IRQ9, and the PS/2 keyboard controller (and or, the USB controller) lives on 12.

All the other IRQs are "NEVER AVAILABLE" because they are always occupied by system resources. (IRQ0 is the system timer, IRQ1 is the AT keyboard controller, IRQ2 is the cascaded interrupt controller for 16bit IRQs, and is connected with IRQ9, IRQ6 is the floppy disk controller, IRQ8 is the realtime clock, IRQ10 is tertiary IDE controller, IRQ11 is "Maybe free" [if you have more than one USB controller, or an IEEE1394 controller present, it is probably on 11], IRQ12 is PS/2 keyboard controller/USB controller, IRQ13 is numeric coprocessor, IRQ14 and IRQ15 are PCI IDE controllers etc..)

This "NOT ENOUGH IRQS!!" problem was just one of the lovely bits of obscura that came with having a vintage machine, way back when.

The usually suggested solution, is to disable COM2/4, and reclaim IRQ3 in doing so. THEN, use the 3COM setup program to reconfigure the card to use IRQ3. This then keeps it from squatting on IRQ5, and lets you keep your GUS/PAS/SB card functioning.

See this thread for said setup program

Since that is a PCI card though, you'd be better served trying to manually configure it with the PnP bios options in your setup program (assuming your Dell has such a thing...)

The other option, is to disable the LPT port, and reclaim IRQ7, and move the soundcard there. (OR, if it is an IRQ10 collision, disabling the IDE interface on your GUS.)

Reply 2 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suspect IRQ conflict.
GUS occupies two IRQs, and you need to set both as "Legacy ISA" in Setup to prevent them being assigned to PCI devices.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 7, by pjturpeau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 3COM is not an etherlink III, it's a 3C905C-TX-M Etherlink 10/100 XL PCI with hardcoded IRQ 11.
In fact I had already disabled COM1/2 and LPT ports in the BIOS and the GUS was configured on IRQ7 for both IRQs.

Since then, I discovered that there is a Configuration and Diag program in http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=914&menustate=0
(I didn't use this driver package for the 3COM installation under Win98SE)

I changed few parameters (IRQ is not modifiable though) thanks to 3C90XCFG.EXE (I mainly disable the BOOT PROM), and now I have no conflict anymore.

Everything is working fine now under both DOS7 and WIN98SE.

I'm even able to use Arachne browser thanks to the DOS packet driver found here http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/packet.htm

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by pjturpeau on 2024-05-06, 07:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 7, by pjturpeau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I'm very happy!
I can now remove the GOTEK drive which does not fit very well in the OptiPlex case.
Now I would just like to find a decent FTP client under DOS to transfer files without using WIN98/CuteFTP...