User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey, so im making a "low power" xp build
specs

b75m-itx
i5-3470t
750ti

i was planning on using 1.35v ram, ive tried g.skill and bassitix ram now, they are not allowing post, i switched and went to a 1.5v set of corsair ram, had the same issue, the only ram i could get to work was set of 1.65v g.skill

ive racked my brain, am i doing something wrong that 1,35 wont work on an ivy bridge or is this mobo just not that great for this?
maybe a bios update?

Reply 1 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im not sure desktop boards even care about voltage reported by DIMMs. Afaik they all blast 1.5V so it should start no problem. Are you sure ram you have is fully working?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 11, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bl4zz3r73553 wrote on 2024-05-05, 04:33:
hey, so im making a "low power" xp build specs […]
Show full quote

specs

b75m-itx
i5-3470t
750ti

i was planning on using 1.35v ram, ive tried g.skill and bassitix ram now, they are not allowing post, i switched and went to a 1.5v set of corsair ram, had the same issue, the only ram i could get to work was set of 1.65v g.skill

ive racked my brain, am i doing something wrong that 1,35 wont work on an ivy bridge or is this mobo just not that great for this?
maybe a bios update?

Many Desktop boards dont support DDR3L so will try to run it at normal DDR3 voltages 1.5 - 1.65v and essentially nuke the Ram, you should check your motherboards manual to see what voltages it will support for DDR3 before trying low power ram. Also have a look in your BIOS to see if it allows changing the ram voltages and set it to 1.35v manually, DDR3L should be able to handle up to 1.5v according to the standard but it really depends on the ram stick as how stable it will be at such voltages or if the stick will even support that.

If you cant get it to post with low power ram then perhaps your BIOS may need an update or your board itself may not be compatible with it.

Reply 3 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check the bios, according to the manual there is a dram voltage entry. Auto is the default.....manual does not mention what other settings it has.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 11, by bl4zz3r73553

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-05-05, 20:37:

Check the bios, according to the manual there is a dram voltage entry. Auto is the default.....manual does not mention what other settings it has.

Yea that's what I was running into, asrock I have had preety good luck with and I like their xp comparability with drivers.
But their lack of ram info and bios update notes is little frustrating.

Guess might need to find a different board which will support this setup for xp.qoth ddr3L

Reply 5 of 11, by bl4zz3r73553

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-05, 13:55:
bl4zz3r73553 wrote on 2024-05-05, 04:33:
hey, so im making a "low power" xp build specs […]
Show full quote

specs

b75m-itx
i5-3470t
750ti

maybe a bios update?

Many Desktop boards dont support DDR3L so will try to run it at normal DDR3 voltages 1.5 - 1.65v and essentially nuke the Ram, you should check your motherboards manual to see what voltages it will support for DDR3 before trying low power ram. Also have a look in your BIOS to see if it allows changing the ram voltages and set it to 1.35v manually, DDR3L should be able to handle up to 1.5v according to the standard but it really depends on the ram stick as how stable it will be at such voltages or if the stick will even support that.

If you cant get it to post with low power ram then perhaps your BIOS may need an update or your board itself may not be compatible with it.

Nuking the ram essentially destroying it?

Odd, I'm.hiping this is a a bios version issue.
IF! I can change v-ram settings. And only being able to boot to bios with 1.65 switch to 1.35. I would imagine that will effect the current install of the 1.65 in a negative way before I can physically switch?

Maybe I need to ditch the form factor mobo and find an Matx or atx that supports ddr3L?

Reply 6 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

according to one forum the default dram voltage is 1.5v or what the XMP value says. you can use cpuz to see the SPD and XMP data.
added: The power difference between 1.5v and 1.35v ddr3 is negligable barely 10%. DDR3 and DDR4 both use about 4watts per 4gb, based on that with 16gb you would save 1.6w with 1.35v versus 1.5v.
added2: my Intel DQ77MK does support DDR3 and DDR3L according to the manual but would never consider buying any since it is unknown how many other boards support DDR3L (was originally designed for laptops, not desktops) which makes the ram useless to me if it cannot be used on any DDR3 board I have OR may buy... just my personal choice.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 11, by bl4zz3r73553

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-05-06, 01:51:

according to one forum the default dram voltage is 1.5v or what the XMP value says. you can use cpuz to see the SPD and XMP data.
added: The power difference between 1.5v and 1.35v ddr3 is negligable barely 10%. DDR3 and DDR4 both use about 4watts per 4gb, based on that with 16gb you would save 1.6w with 1.35v versus 1.5v.
added2: my Intel DQ77MK does support DDR3 and DDR3L according to the manual but would never consider buying any since it is unknown how many other boards support DDR3L (was originally designed for laptops, not desktops) which makes the ram useless to me if it cannot be used on any DDR3 board I have OR may buy... just my personal choice.

very interesting, so really, if a bios update does not fix this, it really just comes down to the mobo? if i understand correctly.
that 1.35 and 1.5v theoretically, there shouldnt be a boot problem with 1.35 unless the ram is bad OR the mobo just has zero 1.35v compatibility?

ive tried 4 different stick of 1.35 ( in different ram slots as well just as a formality) with no success, but my 1.65v boots no problem.
so maybe that is indication ( if its not a bios update) that 1.35v is just simply not possible with at least this b75 mobo?

Reply 8 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would say yes board and bios compatibilty. My Asrock Z77 Fatality Pro does not list any DDR3L in it's memory QVL or manual. The Asus P5G41T-m does support DDR3L but only a few specific dimms with specific model and chip numbers...just a few other examples...
"GEIL GG34GB1333C9DC 4096MB (Kit of 2), GEIL GL1L128M88BA12N 9-9-9-24 XMP 1.3V
G.SKILL F3-10666CL8D-4GBECO(XMP), 4GB(2x2GB) DS, 8-8-8-8-24 XMP 1.35V "

You might want to search your exact DDR3L numbers and see if any board comes up....

Reply 9 of 11, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bl4zz3r73553 wrote on 2024-05-06, 02:22:
very interesting, so really, if a bios update does not fix this, it really just comes down to the mobo? if i understand correctl […]
Show full quote

very interesting, so really, if a bios update does not fix this, it really just comes down to the mobo? if i understand correctly.
that 1.35 and 1.5v theoretically, there shouldnt be a boot problem with 1.35 unless the ram is bad OR the mobo just has zero 1.35v compatibility?

ive tried 4 different stick of 1.35 ( in different ram slots as well just as a formality) with no success, but my 1.65v boots no problem.
so maybe that is indication ( if its not a bios update) that 1.35v is just simply not possible with at least this b75 mobo?

DDR3L compatibility is pretty spotty on desktop boards it wasn't till much later motherboards towards the end of DDR3s lifecycle that DDR3L was more widely supported on Desktop. So either a BIOS update will fix this or the motherboard simply doesn't have any support for the LP DIMMS you have.

Horun is on the right track, you need to do some research on your board to see if it ever supported LP DDR3 and if so what specific models.

Reply 10 of 11, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Difference is negligible until you have it stuffed into a laptop where its got little to no ventilation at which point a few less watts of heat may make all the difference and really that what this ram was designed to help with, heat and not power usage.

But yes for desktop it doesn't matter at all as your biggest heat producer will be the GPU with the CPU a close second and then NVME etc. Not sure I would personally bother with DDR3L as there is no benefit to it on desktop even in a SFF system.

Reply 11 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if i understand correctly. that 1.35 and 1.5v theoretically, there shouldnt be a boot problem with 1.35 unless the ram is bad

yes, all (?) DDr3L support running at 1.5V

OR the mobo just has zero 1.35v compatibility?

its not about the voltage

ive tried 4 different stick of 1.35 ( in different ram slots as well just as a formality) with no success

have you tried those sticks in another motherboard? is it possible they are all bad?
Bios update might help with compatibility with ram chips on your modules (initialization/tuning).

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction