VOGONS

First post, by Ribbicipp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

so I got this wierd issue when trying to restore an old Dell Dimension XPS R350.
I have purchased a SD to IDE adapter (this one: https://www.amazon.se/-/en/Annadue-Adapter-Di … omputers&sr=1-4) in order to easily transfer files from my regular PC to this old one.

I got the adapter working fine, but with one wierd issue.
When booting up the PC, it doesn't recognize the adapter at all and just assumes there is no fixed drive installed in the PC. When I then take out the SD-card from the adapter and reboot the PC with just the adapter connected without the SD-card, it suddenly recognizes the adapter, but since there is no SD-card inserted it of course cannot boot into windows. So from here i have to insert the SD-card into the adapter again and then yet again reboot the PC and now it recognizes the adapter and is able to boot into windows no problem.

Anyone have any answers to why this is happening?

The adapter is connected into the primary IDE slot, while the CD-rom drive is connected to the secondary IDE-slot. There are no switches on the adapter that can change it from master to slave etc.

Reply 2 of 14, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm no expert, but have you tried using different SD cards?

Also, are the IDE "slots" that you refer to the primary and secondary headers on the motherboard, or are they two connectors on the same cable?

Reply 3 of 14, by Ribbicipp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lylat1an wrote on 2024-05-10, 02:55:

I'm no expert, but have you tried using different SD cards?

Also, are the IDE "slots" that you refer to the primary and secondary headers on the motherboard, or are they two connectors on the same cable?

I have tried with a micro-sd card inside a micro-to-sd adapter and a regular sd card. However, they are both from the same maker, namely Sandisk Ultra 32gb. Which i've heard should work fine with these adapters. I also have another micro-sd to ide adapter that has the same issue.

I connect the adapter to the primary ide slot on the mother board.

Reply 4 of 14, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, Sandisk Ultra and extreme work just fine with such adapters.

One issue these adapters have is that these have to be the only device per ide channel, so no master/slave.
Other than that, they usually work fine.

Reply 5 of 14, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ribbicipp wrote on 2024-05-06, 14:28:

Your post is confusing because you lead with "The adapter works fine" and then follows that up with "The adapter doesn't see any data volumes and doesn't boot", which are really the only two things you want it to do.

Questions:

• Why do you think the the adapter is working fine when you can't see data volumes and you cannot boot from it? Did it work in another computer or with a different SD?
  • How big is the media? Is it larger than 128GB? Can your BIOS handle volumes larger than 128GB?
  • Did you go into the BIOS and verify that the BIOS sees the volume?
  • Have you booted off removable media, run fdisk and created volumes on the the SD?

Reply 7 of 14, by Ribbicipp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mmx_91 wrote on 2024-05-12, 12:44:

Yes, Sandisk Ultra and extreme work just fine with such adapters.

One issue these adapters have is that these have to be the only device per ide channel, so no master/slave.
Other than that, they usually work fine.

the only thing i got connected to that specific ide-channel on the motherboard is the SD to IDE adapter. nothing else on that same ide-cable.

Reply 8 of 14, by Ribbicipp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-05-13, 12:39:
Your post is confusing because you lead with "The adapter works fine" and then follows that up with "The adapter doesn't see any […]
Show full quote
Ribbicipp wrote on 2024-05-06, 14:28:

Your post is confusing because you lead with "The adapter works fine" and then follows that up with "The adapter doesn't see any data volumes and doesn't boot", which are really the only two things you want it to do.

Questions:

• Why do you think the the adapter is working fine when you can't see data volumes and you cannot boot from it? Did it work in another computer or with a different SD?
  • How big is the media? Is it larger than 128GB? Can your BIOS handle volumes larger than 128GB?
  • Did you go into the BIOS and verify that the BIOS sees the volume?
  • Have you booted off removable media, run fdisk and created volumes on the the SD?

Well, it's confusing to me too. Like i wrote in the original post:
the first time i power on the PC (from complete shut off), the adapter isn't recognized while an SD-card is inserted. however, if i pull out the SD-card and reboot the PC or boot up the PC from shut off without an SD-card inserted it suddenly recognizes the adapter.
so in order to get the adapter working i have to basically boot up the pc without a sd-card in order for the PC to recognize the adapter. then insert the sd-card and reboot the PC for it to work.

* i have tried two different SD-cards (however from the same maker, Sandisk Ultra SD and a Sandisk Ultra Micro-SD, both 32gb)
* the SD-card is 32gb
* the BIOS doesn't recognize that there is any fixed disk installed with the mentioned issue above. it just says "None".
* i have created volumes with fdisk on the SD and installed windows98SE on it, so the card and adapter work. it's just that annoying issue in the beginning where i have to restart the PC each time i want it to recognize the adapter.

Reply 10 of 14, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ribbicipp wrote on 2024-05-14, 13:08:

* i have created volumes with fdisk on the SD and installed windows98SE on it, so the card and adapter work. it's just that annoying issue in the beginning where i have to restart the PC each time i want it to recognize the adapter.

I'll assume you used another PC to create the volumes. Did you use the same SD-IDE bridge or did you use a different device when you did that?

Does the problem PC BIOS see a drive if you use a different storage device?

Reply 11 of 14, by Ribbicipp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-05-14, 16:45:

I'll assume you used another PC to create the volumes. Did you use the same SD-IDE bridge or did you use a different device when you did that?

i did not. i used the same PC to create the volumes via fdisk since it recognizes the sd to ide adapter and sd-card after a reboot.
i was thinking about manually entering the data (like sectors etc) in bios just to see if it works better that way, since it's now set to "Auto".

whenever i use the regular 8gb HDD with the PC it works no problem.

Reply 12 of 14, by Ribbicipp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-05-14, 16:45:

fyi, this is a screen of how the bios detects the adapter when it recognizes it after a reboot.

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    Filename
    bios.jpg
    File size
    493.25 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    bios
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 13 of 14, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ribbicipp wrote on 2024-05-14, 17:04:

i did not. i used the same PC to create the volumes via fdisk since it recognizes the sd to ide adapter and sd-card after a reboot.
i was thinking about manually entering the data (like sectors etc) in bios just to see if it works better that way, since it's now set to "Auto".

whenever i use the regular 8gb HDD with the PC it works no problem.

OK, I misunderstood what was going on. This is a simpler problem.

My experience with computers that needed to warm up before they start working correctly has been capacitor problems, either on the motherboard or in the power supply. The issue is that unhealthy capacitors are not always able to provide the current placed on them for a little bit after being fully discharged. Once they charge up for a bit, they come into spec and things start going properly. Seems like a possible cause here.

A quick fix could be to under clock your motherboard to reduce the overall power load. Some BIOS's have a "cold boot delay for IDE devices". Configuring that might help. You could also try putting the SD bridge on a different power cable.