VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,
Over at this thread: Strange issue with slave CF cards in dual CD adapter and Win98SE I detailed my struggle to get four IDE devices, one of which is a dual CF-to-IDE adapter w/ two DVD DL burners to work properly on my DFI k6xv3+/66 with a K6-III+ (OC'd to 600Mhz.) Every time I thought I solved the issue (changing jumpers, cables, swapping order of drives, different VIA 4in1 drivers, changing drives from master to slave and vice versa, etc.) The "When initializing device IOS: Windows protection error" would return. It was always when I used a SD-to-CF adapter and then afterwards because I think that whatever was going on would break Windows so that it no longer supported a slave on the primary IDE OR anything on the secondary IDE with the SD-to-CF adapter slaved to a CF card after the first time the error appeared. After much testing and experimentation, I have come to believe that the DFI k6xv3+/66 simply does not like SD-to-CF adapter cards (I have tried two different revisions, each with a different issue when "working," but both inevitably causing the IOS error.)

This leaves me with the problem of finding a suitable solution to provide a removable 120/128GB slave drive need, for this build. I have a long IDE cable with an IDE extension cable and a PCI slot CF -to-IDE adapter and an SD-to-IDE card, but while the former has a jumper, there is no way to set Master/Slave on the SD-to-IDE. So, I have come across this item:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126191788663?chn=ps& … 70aAqq6EALw_wcB

I could use an IDE adapter on this and use SSDs as slave drives by slapping them in the back of the PC. This would be a great solution because a 128GB SD card is not big enough to hold every disc image, game, driver, app and what not that I have, and 120GB Silicon Power SSDs are only $20, and I have one lying around being unused.

Has anyone used this item in a retro build with an IDE adapter? If so, how did it work for you? Would you recommend it? Another option is to buy an ATA100 or 133 PCI controller card and HOPE that it supports SD-to-CF cards, but most of the ones I have come across are more expensive than this PCI slot option. I am also open to any and all suggestions for solutions to my predicament.

Many thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 7, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its a dummy adapter so it just passes the SATA signals through untouched, no reason it shouldn't work with a IDE adapter, now the real question is will your motherboard work with the IDE adapter and still allow you to setup Master/Slave correctly.🤣

You could just go the easy route and buy a PCI Sata card and just hook this right up to that card with no adapter, makes it nice and easy and removes your motherboard as the compatibility hitch, most Sata PCI cards top out at SATA 1 speeds which is 150Mb/s which is still much faster than ATA133. However you may need to test to see if your SSD can fall back to SATA 1, most SATA3 SSDs can but there are reports of some not being able to. You could then just use a cheap SATA HDD instead of a IDE drive, this would also help with Master/Slave issues.

If you want to stick to a IDE card then you could buy a DOM and remove the IDE > CF adapter altogether, DOM come in a huge range of sizes and the bigger ones can be as cheap as a SSD of equivalent size.

Reply 2 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-07, 00:39:

Its a dummy adapter so it just passes the SATA signals through untouched, no reason it shouldn't work with a IDE adapter, now the real question is will your motherboard work with the IDE adapter and still allow you to setup Master/Slave correctly.🤣

You could just go the easy route and buy a PCI Sata card and just hook this right up to that card with no adapter, makes it nice and easy and removes your motherboard as the compatibility hitch, most Sata PCI cards top out at SATA 1 speeds which is 150Mb/s which is still much faster than ATA133. However you may need to test to see if your SSD can fall back to SATA 1, most SATA3 SSDs can but there are reports of some not being able to. You could then just use a cheap SATA HDD instead of a IDE drive, this would also help with Master/Slave issues.

If you want to stick to a IDE card then you could buy a DOM and remove the IDE > CF adapter altogether, DOM come in a huge range of sizes and the bigger ones can be as cheap as a SSD of equivalent size.

Thank you for your reply and advice! One issue is that I already have a collection of CF cards and the dual drive, and a single slot drive for a backup or another system, and I am trying to avoid buying adapters for everything, and everything is beige, so I don't want to replace the opticals. I pulled my SATA/IDE adapter from my Athlon XP system for testing, but haven't done so, yet.

After posting, I dug out a microSD to CF adapter card I never used (it looks like it is made by the same Chinesium factory,) and it was working fine with a 32gb card. It doesn't feel flimsy like the ones which are failing do, so I think that they just start to come apart and fail after swapping SD cards and plugging them in/pulling them out after so many times. I may work with what I have and instead of cramming all of my ISOs and whatnot onto one or two 120+gb drives, I will have a storage card paired with each OS card, so a storage card for Windows 98 era games and apps, Windows 95 era games and apps, Windows 3.x, Dos, etc. I have been fiddling with this build for days and haven't played any games in that time except for testing with Unreal Tournament, and my Serda Shop order should be here in a day or two. I want to get it all hooked up and set up and take some pics and make a build thread and enjoy the system. I'm proud of my retro area as it looks like I went back in time with how it is all set up. I even somehow manifested a 19" NOS/Open Box Viewsonic CRT into my possession, and it looks beautiful. The only thing is, is that after scoring a K6-III+ for slowing it for DOS games, I learned that there is a better CPU for that called the VIA C3 Ezra or some such. But, I like this system and am happy with it (despite the stupid IOS error!)

Reply 3 of 7, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-05-07, 04:03:

Thank you for your reply and advice! One issue is that I already have a collection of CF cards and the dual drive, and a single slot drive for a backup or another system, and I am trying to avoid buying adapters for everything, and everything is beige, so I don't want to replace the opticals. I pulled my SATA/IDE adapter from my Athlon XP system for testing, but haven't done so, yet.

After posting, I dug out a microSD to CF adapter card I never used (it looks like it is made by the same Chinesium factory,) and it was working fine with a 32gb card. It doesn't feel flimsy like the ones which are failing do, so I think that they just start to come apart and fail after swapping SD cards and plugging them in/pulling them out after so many times. I may work with what I have and instead of cramming all of my ISOs and whatnot onto one or two 120+gb drives, I will have a storage card paired with each OS card, so a storage card for Windows 98 era games and apps, Windows 95 era games and apps, Windows 3.x, Dos, etc. I have been fiddling with this build for days and haven't played any games in that time except for testing with Unreal Tournament, and my Serda Shop order should be here in a day or two. I want to get it all hooked up and set up and take some pics and make a build thread and enjoy the system. I'm proud of my retro area as it looks like I went back in time with how it is all set up. I even somehow manifested a 19" NOS/Open Box Viewsonic CRT into my possession, and it looks beautiful. The only thing is, is that after scoring a K6-III+ for slowing it for DOS games, I learned that there is a better CPU for that called the VIA C3 Ezra or some such. But, I like this system and am happy with it (despite the stupid IOS error!)

I have the Ezra CPU and its the perfect CPU for that purpose but you do need the right socket 370 board for it to work as well as people describe, it needs a compatible clock IC along with supporting the Via C3 and having ISA. Only reason people dont talk about it much is that it does require you to find one specific version of that CPU along with the right motherboard and also many people simply dont know about the Ezra and its capabilities.

Reply 4 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-07, 04:09:

I have the Ezra CPU and its the perfect CPU for that purpose but you do need the right socket 370 board for it to work as well as people describe, it needs a compatible clock IC along with supporting the Via C3 and having ISA. Only reason people dont talk about it much is that it does require you to find one specific version of that CPU along with the right motherboard and also many people simply dont know about the Ezra and its capabilities.

Finding this SS7 board was a pain. It took a long time, but I did get it for a good price. Three ISA slots and my K6-III+ runs at 600Mhz. If I come across the proper parts for a VIA Ezra system, I may go for it. But I don't think I'll go on a stressful hunt for it, hehehe. I did load up Wing Commander I on this system to test the MS-DOS CF card (getting 624k on this system!!!) and the Viewsonic, and used my setmul .bat file I made for my Pentium 166 MMX system, and it looks like the .bat file as is will play WC at the correct speed, so I think I'll be able to play almost all of my games properly. I have switched to hunting down boxes and discs I don't have or used to have but lost somehow, over the years. All that I need to complete the setup is a period correct printer, but I don't know if I will ever find a beige/white color inkjet or laser that I can still get ink/toner for.

Reply 6 of 7, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-05-07, 04:17:

Finding this SS7 board was a pain. It took a long time, but I did get it for a good price. Three ISA slots and my K6-III+ runs at 600Mhz. If I come across the proper parts for a VIA Ezra system, I may go for it. But I don't think I'll go on a stressful hunt for it, hehehe. I did load up Wing Commander I on this system to test the MS-DOS CF card (getting 624k on this system!!!) and the Viewsonic, and used my setmul .bat file I made for my Pentium 166 MMX system, and it looks like the .bat file as is will play WC at the correct speed, so I think I'll be able to play almost all of my games properly. I have switched to hunting down boxes and discs I don't have or used to have but lost somehow, over the years. All that I need to complete the setup is a period correct printer, but I don't know if I will ever find a beige/white color inkjet or laser that I can still get ink/toner for.

BIG BOX hunts are the best, I recently got a nearly mint condition Big box of Dark Forces, the box does look its age but thankfully it has all its contents was pretty happy to get it.

Reply 7 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-05-07, 04:30:
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-05-07, 04:17:

BIG BOX hunts are the best, I recently got a nearly mint condition Big box of Dark Forces, the box does look its age but thankfully it has all its contents was pretty happy to get it.

Nice, and uncanny! I was looking at Star Wars game boxes, including Dark Forces, just the other day. I lost my Star Wars (and most of my other) boxes years ago due to an evil family member and an evil ex-in-law. It has taken me YEARS to replace them, and I still have a few to go. The problem is that they become kore rare and pricier, every day...

On the previous note, I just found my Startech CF-to-IDE adapter. This thing is heavy duty - looks more complex and has a capacitor. I also found two SD-to CF adapters I never used because they are FAT. They fit in this Startech, though. It must be a sign (like how I got the Viewsonic - a tale I'll tell in the eventual build thread.) The issues are that it is black, so I'll have to spray paint it to fit with the build theme, and it is single slotted, so I'll have go with part of the idea from my OP to run a long IDE cable with and extension on the slave to put my slot-based CF reader in the back. My case is a beige case that is reminiscent of both my first tower (486DX2,) and the first PC I ever built (K6-2 350,) so it has only three 5.25 bays (the two DVD DL burners and a working 1.2mb floppy - the only non-beige/white part until I can deal with that,) and two 3,5 bays (CF reader and a 1.44mb floppy drive.)