VOGONS

First post, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this motherboard that I rescued from scrap, but someone plucked off the GAL16V8D chip. Along with the caps which they plucked off, they also tried to remove an SN74LS245N but I have a replacement for that.

Can someone please provide me with a dump of the GAL?

Thanks

IMG_20240507_122930588.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240507_122930588.jpg
File size
680.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 4 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I might actually have this board, although I am not 100% sure. I have definitely a UC41xx that has very similar layout. I will try to locate it tomorrow and if we are all lucky, it actually doesn't have the protection bit set and any bruteforcing is unnecessary. Gravis cards, for example are using unprotected PLDs. But bruteforcing is definitely doable, it is something I have manually done on a few devices myself but I know what the chip was supposed to do and I merely had to verify that it does.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 10, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2024-05-08, 22:26:

I might actually have this board, although I am not 100% sure. I have definitely a UC41xx that has very similar layout. I will try to locate it tomorrow and if we are all lucky, it actually doesn't have the protection bit set and any bruteforcing is unnecessary. Gravis cards, for example are using unprotected PLDs. But bruteforcing is definitely doable, it is something I have manually done on a few devices myself but I know what the chip was supposed to do and I merely had to verify that it does.

Thanks... If you can, would you also please check the capacitor values for me? All of them were torn out... It seems though they're all tantalums. Voltage isn't important, just the uF value...

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 6 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found my board and it is UC4913 rev2.0, similar layout and same UMC chipset but no PLD between ISA slots or anywhere else so, unfortunately, no luck factor this time 😒

Capacitors on it are 4.7µF for the most part, but there are few 10µF ones too.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 10, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2024-05-09, 16:05:

I found my board and it is UC4913 rev2.0, similar layout and same UMC chipset but no PLD between ISA slots or anywhere else so, unfortunately, no luck factor this time 😒

Capacitors on it are 4.7µF for the most part, but there are few 10µF ones too.

Thanks for checking.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 9 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm the ECS AL486 also has a GAL (16V8B) and it is connected to the VESA slot portion for sure, and appears to go to the waitstate/speed jumpers (not 100% verified, just looking at back of board, could be wrong)...
maybe it is for same reason??? If so the board should work fine with just ISA cards AFAIK

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 10, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2024-05-10, 01:12:

Hmm the ECS AL486 also has a GAL (16V8B) and it is connected to the VESA slot portion for sure, and appears to go to the waitstate/speed jumpers (not 100% verified, just looking at back of board, could be wrong)...
maybe it is for same reason??? If so the board should work fine with just ISA cards AFAIK

Thanks! I'll give that a shot and maybe someone can get me the capacitor values in the meantime... If it's still functional but only without the VLB slots then that's still cool.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png