VOGONS

First post, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have seen serial to PS/2 adapters. What requirements do they have for the PS/2 mouse?
Do they work universally?
Can you still buy new serial mice? I didn't see any.

What is the thing to do/get?

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, generally speaking, they depend on the mice supporting both serial protocols themselves (v.24 and ps/2).

There are however homebrew projects that convert mice protocols.
They use an Arduino chip or something.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ux-3 wrote on 2024-05-16, 17:02:
I have seen serial to PS/2 adapters. What requirements do they have for the PS/2 mouse? Do they work universally? Can you still […]
Show full quote

I have seen serial to PS/2 adapters. What requirements do they have for the PS/2 mouse?

If they work universally depends. I own a couple of them (internal and external) and they all work directly connected to the pc. But if you use a KVM then they not all work. The PS2TOSERIAL from Serdashop for example does not work with a couple of KVM's I use.

Don't know your location but here in the Netherlands I see new serial mouses sometimes on our local 'ebay' called marktplaats. Bought a new serial mouse a couple of weeks ago there.

Reply 3 of 7, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I just made necroware adapter for my Euro Pc. Very simple to make and works with every PS2 mouse I have. Only problem is that optical mouse's I've tested are bit too sensitive.

https://github.com/necroware/ps2-serial-mouse-adapter

Attachments

Reply 4 of 7, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
I have seen serial to PS/2 adapters. What requirements do they have for the PS/2 mouse? Do they work universally? Can you still […]
Show full quote

If you need one and can pay shipping from France I can give you one for free.

Edit : a mouse. Not an adapter

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 5 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Serial (RS232) port uses +12 and -12 Volt.
PS/2 port uses 0 and +5 Volt.
Never connect a PS/2 mouse to serial port unless you're 100% sure it's designed for the higher voltage.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 6 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

Looking on Ebay there are quite a few new old stock serial mice available. There are also ones like the Microsoft Intellimouse X05-16880 that have a scroll wheel and come with a PS/2 to serial adapter.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 7 of 7, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

eBay is flooded with NOS serial mice, at least in the USA eBay.

I have an old KVM switch from the 90s that takes a PS/2 mouse for the console, and then sends out emulated serial mouse to the PCs connected to it. It was very inexpensive. That might kill two birds with one stone if you want to use it with multiple PCs.