VOGONS

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Flipping thru some old CGW mags I had in the attic (~93-95 I'd say, haven't taken complete stock of my inventory) I spied that little ad w/ the still shot of the Horde in 1/4 screen on the left, full screen on the right.

So what games were MPEG Compatible or written solely to take advantage of a MPEG add-on card back in the day? Pretty much a fizzle for vintage gamers?

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 3 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Holy thread ressurection, Batman!

Ahem, sorry for the Necro, but I still have an old Acer Magic V-18 MPEG card; does it compatible with ReelMagic? Can I play MPEG games with that?

gulikoza wrote:

I was working with the games that required DVD decoder boards...

Wing Commander III?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 48, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, it's VGA -> VGA, just one end has a 9-pin mini-DIN connector rather than the standard HD15. I think the cable is specific to those cards... there were other things that used miniDIN->HD15 cables, but AFAIK they were all wired differently.

Reply 10 of 48, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the creative-branded MPEG decoder - it's designed to work with a certain drive, but I'm not sure it's necessary. The cable is necessary, and is what prevents me from trying my decoder card out. If anybody has a spare one I wouldn't mind getting my hands on it.

One notable game it was used for (in the spirit of the original thread) was Wing Commander (don't recall which one) - one with many many FMVs on the disk, and designed for systems that couldn't handle playing them on their own.

Reply 12 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even though I don't really mind rezzing an old thread if it's relevant, but aren't we getting a liiiitle too carried away here lately??

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 48, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yushatak wrote:

The cable is necessary, and is what prevents me from trying my decoder card out. If anybody has a spare one I wouldn't mind getting my hands on it.

The cable is not actually necessary just for testing the card. You can hook a TV up to the SVideo output, and it'll show video on that. But there's also an FAQ which includes the pinout of the passthrough port, if you want to make your own cable... the 9-pin miniDIN plugs are available from Mouser.

gulikoza wrote:

Shouldn't that be the same cable as voodoo cards used?

Same connectors, but I don't believe it's the same pinout.

Reply 16 of 48, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hrm, no one ever answered the original posters question.

The RealMagic FAQ can be fount at...
http://crydee.sai.msu.ru/ftproot/pub/rec/game … s/ReelMagic.faq

It lists the following compatible titles:
Matinee
MPC Wizard
The Nature of Hunting
Learning Fly Fishing
Mozart Visits Yosemite
Mozart Visits Grand Canyon
Mozart Visits Yellowstone
Mozart Visits Hawaii
Animal Kingdom
WorldView
Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia
The Sporting News
20th Century Video Almanac
Police Quest 4
Man Enough
Return to Zork
Dragon's Lair
Video Cube-Space
SoundTrack
Space Ace
The Lord of the Rings

Reply 17 of 48, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I have a MAGIC REEL MPEG ISA card, I use it in my 386DX40 MHZ with 8 Megs RAM, never could find excepting the demo games that came in the box and a gift set, but I always wanted to have the Dragons Lair special version REEL MAGIC, if someone wants the CDs with the demo and the game that brings the original package and upload let me know, and if anyone has more games or where lower them

Reply 18 of 48, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
thierry wrote:

Hi all, I have a MAGIC REEL MPEG ISA card, I use it in my 386DX40 MHZ with 8 Megs RAM, never could find excepting the demo games that came in the box and a gift set, but I always wanted to have the Dragons Lair special version REEL MAGIC, if someone wants the CDs with the demo and the game that brings the original package and upload let me know, and if anyone has more games or where lower them

You should upload those CDs to vogonsdrivers.com. They are probably hard to find.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 19 of 48, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thierry wrote:

Yes, please upload the CD's.

I have a working RealMagic ISA card but the only game I have for it is Return to Zork.

If you dont have the passthrough cable would a vga switchbox do the job like with a voodoo card?

What model card do you have?

My card doesn't need a VGA passthrough. It connects to the main video card using the VESA Feature connector, so you just need a 26 pin ribbon cable with a female IEC connector on each end. Then you just plug your monitor into the ReelMagic card and the combined video from both cards will be displayed on your monitor.

See my thread here

ReelMagic MPEG Decoder running Return to Zork

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.