VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 40780 of 52352, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On this vintage, could be 400K or 800K drive, you need another newer Mac that can take 1.44MB and 800K/400K. Initially use Basilisk Mac emulator only deals with 1.44MB, keep in mind.

What I did: Copy the floppy images and imager software, and all the goodies you can download for this vintage Mac, from download sites onto PC and start up Basilisk; which is an emulator, make Mac 1.44MB disks with Basilisk emulator then paste all the goodies on these, then move floppies to the newer Mac, prepare 800K or 400K floppies using DD floppy disks. Newer Macs with 1.44MB floppy drive can do 800K and 400K format. Then you can play with this vintage mac.

I did all this before nearly 16 years ago. No longer have Mac CPU boxes.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 40781 of 52352, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was going to try to turn on my new Mac, but I noticed that the ground pin to the Mac power cable is missing.

There isn't anything special with these cables is there? I wanted to ask because the cable from the keyboard to the computer looks like a standard telephone cable, but it's apparently wired differently. I'm told that using a regular phone cable can ruin the keyboard. I wanted to check if there's a similar situation with the power cable as well.

Attachments

Reply 40782 of 52352, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aublak wrote on 2021-10-14, 23:49:

I was going to try to turn on my new Mac, but I noticed that the ground pin to the Mac power cable is missing.

You should definitely watch out using those cable - ideally replacing it with a one which is intact - ground pin should be there for a reason. Or actually quite a few reasons - one of them being assuring a correct polarity (where it matters).

Unfortunately in my Tandy CM-11 monitor some stupid also cut the pin.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40783 of 52352, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I usually like when my Guitar amps dont have a ground that way I can reverse polarity if I need to so I don't get shocked by the microphone.

Reply 40784 of 52352, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My latest acquisitions this week. First is nothing spectacular, just a very clean Logitech Ps2 keyboard I found at the thrift, and I like having plenty of spares.

20211014-224155.jpg

Got a very good condition Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick for $25 shipped. Looking forward to some old flight sims and Battlezone!

20211014-225104.jpg
20211014-225130.jpg

And stacking up a couple more NOS hard drives. What's funny (and kind of not) is I didn't realize the 100 GB drive is SATA. I bought it thinking it was IDE. I literally didn't notice until I took this picture. Oh well, I guess a PCI to SATA board is in my future for one of my Windows 98 systems, or it'll find use as a secondary game drive in a XP system.

20211014-225158.jpg

Reply 40785 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never knew Maxtor made SATA drives back then. Finding NOS IDE drives at thrift stores is my favorite part. Got a 60GB Maxtor and an 80GB Western Digital NOS drives in my S370 PIII-S 1.4 build.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 40787 of 52352, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There isn't anything special with these cables is there? I wanted to ask because the cable from the keyboard to the computer looks like a standard telephone cable, but it's apparently wired differently. I'm told that using a regular phone cable can ruin the keyboard. I wanted to check if there's a similar situation with the power cable as well.

Without ground you have half the line voltage floating on your chassis. Only some micro amps, but noticeable, at least in 230v countries. Also, your audio may have noises.

Grounding on metal cases is also a safety aspect. When there's a short to the case, it will trigger the fuse and not a heart condition. 😉

Reply 40788 of 52352, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

before you turn it on I would check the analog board for cracked RIFAs... unless you really wanna deal with all the smoke and bad smell :p

Reply 40790 of 52352, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2021-10-15, 09:43:

I found a sealed in-box Logitech Rumblepad 2 at the Goodwill yesterday. At another thrift store, I found a CD-ROM of Navy Strike, in sealed packaging.

pretty good finding new in box stuff at goodwill, makes you wonder whether these are from people who bought them the donated or old stock from closed/cleared out businesses

Reply 40791 of 52352, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2021-10-15, 13:33:
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2021-10-15, 09:43:

I found a sealed in-box Logitech Rumblepad 2 at the Goodwill yesterday. At another thrift store, I found a CD-ROM of Navy Strike, in sealed packaging.

pretty good finding new in box stuff at goodwill, makes you wonder whether these are from people who bought them the donated or old stock from closed/cleared out businesses

Lots of older people live in the area where the stores are, so as they age and go elsewhere, so does their stuff! I've found Sidewinder gamepads and joysticks, USB media keyboards, lots of CD-ROM games, and old LCD monitors that are still usable.

Reply 40792 of 52352, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I found a replacement cable and "turned on" the Mac and there was thankfully no smoke. I got a startup beep however there was no image. Just a blank screen.

I don't have the tools to open her up now.
Adrian from ADB had a similar problem. https://youtu.be/H9dxJ7uNXOA
For him it was just some bad solder joints. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Reply 40793 of 52352, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this PC from my local scrap source. It doesn't have the front cover, power supply, HDD, FDD... But it has the most important part - motherboard with CPU and ram. I hope it works. There is also an ISA VLB VGA card and an ISA sound card. Sadly people still dump their old computers, whilst they could put them on a local ad and sell them for a reasonable amount of money. I guess it's just easier to throw them away.

Attachments

• IMG_20211015_200210.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20211015_200210.jpg
    File size
    1.38 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 40794 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Turbo -> wrote on 2021-10-15, 18:30:

Bought this PC from my local scrap source. It doesn't have the front cover, power supply, HDD, FDD... But it has the most important part - motherboard with CPU and ram. I hope it works. There is also an ISA VLB VGA card and an ISA sound card. Sadly people still dump their old computers, whilst they could put them on a local ad and sell them for a reasonable amount of money. I guess it's just easier to throw them away.

What exact VLB video card and sound card? Also, what is that strange board plugged into the edge of the motherboard? Looks like RAM.. maybe cache.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 40796 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

pola

Shagittarius wrote on 2021-10-15, 00:04:

I usually like when my Guitar amps dont have a ground that way I can reverse polarity if I need to so I don't get shocked by the microphone.

So the wiring in the buildings has reverse polarity.. or somebody replaced an outlet and reversed the polarity.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 40797 of 52352, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-15, 23:25:

pola

Shagittarius wrote on 2021-10-15, 00:04:

So the wiring in the buildings has reverse polarity.. or somebody replaced an outlet and reversed the polarity.

I've always wondered why that happens but I've played many different places for rehearsal and gigs that the mic would shock you while playing the guitar if you touched it with your lips.

Reply 40798 of 52352, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought 3 games to add to my lonely 1-cartridge Fairchild Channel F collection:

Fgames.jpeg
Filename
Fgames.jpeg
File size
429.25 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The leaflet may say the Channel F has a lot more fun in store, but I probably won't be expanding my collection much past maybe another 1 or 2 titles. A cool console to have in my collection from a historic perspective (albeit mine is the System II/Grandstand-branded version).

Reply 40799 of 52352, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2021-10-16, 02:51:

I've always wondered why that happens but I've played many different places for rehearsal and gigs that the mic would shock you while playing the guitar if you touched it with your lips.

Just take a voltmeter and check the voltage.
Maybe this will shock you sufficiently to no longer take this electric safety issue lightly and no longer "solve" it by un-grounding equipment 😀