VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 44880 of 52721, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The sealed 3C515-TX was $100 + $10 S&H plus MI sales tax ($116.60 altogether).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 44881 of 52721, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2022-05-30, 15:19:
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-05-30, 15:06:

I've run my Linux file server on a dual socket G34 for years and it's been great. It's not a fast CPU compared to what's available now, but the RAM is very cheap. It's still a good platform if you want a lot of memory and don't need as much raw horsepower.

With the cost of electricity today I'm reverting to a Rolodex.
😀

The processor can run in a low power mode and in its lifetime I've switched from dual processors to a single processor, since I've moved all of the heavy CPU use services to another machine. The abundance of PCIe I/O and memory is absolutely perfect for a large ZFS array. I have an 8x disk RAID-Z3 (three disk parity) of 4TB drives with a 9th as a hot spare. I use this array exclusively for years until it was cost effective to build a second array, this time a RAID-1 where each disk was large enough to contain the entirety of the old array. This second array is used as a backup and is only attached during mirroring. The large amount of memory that this platform supports allows me to have an enormous amount of caching in memory, in addition to an SSD that is its own read cache.

This is what I've been using to manage all of my data for a number of years now, and I'm very happy with it. There are certainly faster, better, and more optimal platform configurations available now, but upgrading would require a large investment that would not affect my use case at all. I have upgraded this setup incrementally several times over the years and have a small inventory of spare parts that I can swap in immediately in the event of a failure, including CPUs, memory, and two spare motherboards. I will run this system into the ground before I will replace it.

When it becomes cost effective to do so, I will eventually replace the 4TB spinning disks with an array of SSDs. That's the next planned upgrade, once it becomes affordable to do so.

I'm very happy with this setup.

Reply 44882 of 52721, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-05-31, 08:48:
The processor can run in a low power mode and in its lifetime I've switched from dual processors to a single processor, since I' […]
Show full quote
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-05-30, 15:06:

I've run my Linux file server on a dual socket G34 for years and it's been great. It's not a fast CPU compared to what's available now, but the RAM is very cheap. It's still a good platform if you want a lot of memory and don't need as much raw horsepower.

😀

The processor can run in a low power mode and in its lifetime I've switched from dual processors to a single processor, since I've moved all of the heavy CPU use services to another machine. The abundance of PCIe I/O and memory is absolutely perfect for a large ZFS array. I have an 8x disk RAID-Z3 (three disk parity) of 4TB drives with a 9th as a hot spare. I use this array exclusively for years until it was cost effective to build a second array, this time a RAID-1 where each disk was large enough to contain the entirety of the old array. This second array is used as a backup and is only attached during mirroring. The large amount of memory that this platform supports allows me to have an enormous amount of caching in memory, in addition to an SSD that is its own read cache.

This is what I've been using to manage all of my data for a number of years now, and I'm very happy with it. There are certainly faster, better, and more optimal platform configurations available now, but upgrading would require a large investment that would not affect my use case at all. I have upgraded this setup incrementally several times over the years and have a small inventory of spare parts that I can swap in immediately in the event of a failure, including CPUs, memory, and two spare motherboards. I will run this system into the ground before I will replace it.

When it becomes cost effective to do so, I will eventually replace the 4TB spinning disks with an array of SSDs. That's the next planned upgrade, once it becomes affordable to do so.

As you started it, for self enjoyment purposes, could you give me your hw config?
G34 is a platform I drooled on in my thoughts when it came out, and add the strange shape of the cpus! 😀

For sure you have better options today. In the end it's up to the owner. I'd go for something "less old", but not bleeding edge.
Ram is cheap and for these systems and you can have plenty, that's a good point.

Maybe a pic would make us happy (mostly me, I love G34).

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 44883 of 52721, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2022-05-31, 09:06:
As you started it, for self enjoyment purposes, could you give me your hw config? G34 is a platform I drooled on in my thoughts […]
Show full quote
The processor can run in a low power mode and in its lifetime I've switched from dual processors to a single processor, since I' […]
Show full quote

😀

As you started it, for self enjoyment purposes, could you give me your hw config?
G34 is a platform I drooled on in my thoughts when it came out, and add the strange shape of the cpus! 😀

For sure you have better options today. In the end it's up to the owner. I'd go for something "less old", but not bleeding edge.
Ram is cheap and for these systems and you can have plenty, that's a good point.

I honestly couldn't complain about grabbing two of these Optis for 10bucks .. also the guy has a pair of 6344s for sale at 10bucks each sooo .. I may grab two of them too, nothing like 12 cores CPUs dirt cheap.

I may never actually get around to setting these up permanently but it might be fun to build a U2 rackmount server as cheaply as I can . .like a challenge, set a budget and see if I can get under it, Ali Express should be helpful here since there is a ton of U2 rackmount shit on there.

G34 Dual CPU rackmount boards seem to be dirt cheap too .. must be a lot of serverfarms upgrading and tossing these systems out.

Reply 44884 of 52721, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-31, 11:20:
I honestly couldn't complain about grabbing two of these Optis for 10bucks .. also the guy has a pair of 6344s for sale at 10buc […]
Show full quote
As you started it, for self enjoyment purposes, could you give me your hw config? G34 is a platform I drooled on in my thoughts […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I honestly couldn't complain about grabbing two of these Optis for 10bucks .. also the guy has a pair of 6344s for sale at 10bucks each sooo .. I may grab two of them too, nothing like 12 cores CPUs dirt cheap.

I may never actually get around to setting these up permanently but it might be fun to build a U2 rackmount server as cheaply as I can . .like a challenge, set a budget and see if I can get under it, Ali Express should be helpful here since there is a ton of U2 rackmount shit on there.

G34 Dual CPU rackmount boards seem to be dirt cheap too .. must be a lot of serverfarms upgrading and tossing these systems out.

I can get a dual cpu board for around 100€. (110-5$ like).
Your project sounds yummy, if you ever come to get it done please post.
I'm a broken record but I like those "it cost my entire family's kidneys to have one back then" for cheap today. 😀

I like Phil's videos on these server cpus.

I'm somewhat nostalgic, it's probably the rainy weather.

Reply 44885 of 52721, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2022-05-31, 11:53:
I can get a dual cpu board for around 100€. (110-5$ like). Your project sounds yummy, if you ever come to get it done please pos […]
Show full quote
I honestly couldn't complain about grabbing two of these Optis for 10bucks .. also the guy has a pair of 6344s for sale at 10buc […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I'm a broken record but I like those "it cost my entire family's kidneys to have one back then" for cheap today. 😀

Its a long term type of project, as I get the parts they will join the CPUs till I have enough to build it and I for sure will post a thread about it, first I have to finish the Pentium 4 PCI-X file server build, I have all the parts just not the free time to build it.

Got the last part today actually a PCI-X Intel Pro/1000 MT Quad Port network card, its a lovely looking card too.

Reply 44886 of 52721, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-31, 12:06:
I can get a dual cpu board for around 100€. (110-5$ like). Your project sounds yummy, if you ever come to get it done please pos […]
Show full quote

Its a long term type of project, as I get the parts they will join the CPUs till I have enough to build it and I for sure will post a thread about it, first I have to finish the Pentium 4 PCI-X file server build, I have all the parts just not the free time to build it.

Got the last part today actually a PCI-X Intel Pro/1000 MT Quad Port network card, its a lovely looking card too.

Can you ask your mom if I can come over to play? 😀
Time? I haven't been able to do nothing for the past 2 months. Not even sort stuff...

Maybe that's why I'm looking forward to see other people's projects. You just made me save 50$ on a shrink session 🤣

Reply 44887 of 52721, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2022-05-31, 12:12:
Can you ask your mom if I can come over to play? :) Time? I haven't been able to do nothing for the past 2 months. Not even sort […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Time? I haven't been able to do nothing for the past 2 months. Not even sort stuff...

Maybe that's why I'm looking forward to see other people's projects. You just made me save 50$ on a shrink session 🤣

Gigabit network stuff is for sure a fun thing to play with, and I feel ya on not being able to sort stuff, I pretty much gave up on doing that after the 5th plastic bin of retro parts 🤣. I do try to keep similar things together like GPUs and such but I have had to curtail buying more old motherboards till I buy more storage bins.

This is such a fun hobby to have but you gotta be careful or itll take up all the free space in the home 😜

Reply 44888 of 52721, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote
Show full quote

😀

Here you go! Lots of photos. 😀

Photos of my Linux ZFS file server

Reply 44889 of 52721, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-31, 12:17:
Nexxen wrote on 2022-05-31, 12:12:
Can you ask your mom if I can come over to play? :) Time? I haven't been able to do nothing for the past 2 months. Not even sort […]
Show full quote

Gigabit network stuff is for sure a fun thing to play with, and I feel ya on not being able to sort stuff, I pretty much gave up on doing that after the 5th plastic bin of retro parts 🤣. I do try to keep similar things together like GPUs and such but I have had to curtail buying more old motherboards till I buy more storage bins.

This is such a fun hobby to have but you gotta be careful or itll take up all the free space in the home 😜

I quote and subscribe. Exactly.
That's why I'm hoping to win the lottery: a bigger house to fill 😀

Reply 44890 of 52721, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I now own $18 worth of gold. And it’s at 60MHz.

FD09D0F5-2A71-441C-805E-46504D1AFADE.jpeg
Filename
FD09D0F5-2A71-441C-805E-46504D1AFADE.jpeg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
CEE9C9B1-7468-4C7B-9F8C-4AC68F0772CD.jpeg
Filename
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Question is, how do I get this heat sink off without also losing the text on top?

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 44891 of 52721, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking of 60Mhz, the PB desktop I bought arrived today.

Needs some cleaning and case repair. Not going to power it on until I do some cleaning.

I knew it wasn't stock from the few pics I saw. There were no pictures of the inside posted so there was a bit of a surprise when I opened it up.

3 HDDs and a PAS-16 sound card.

The one HDD was sitting on top of the power supply.

PXL_20220601_013150566~2.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220601_013150566~2.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PXL_20220601_013214990~2.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220601_013214990~2.jpg
File size
1021.94 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PXL_20220601_013431537~2.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220601_013431537~2.jpg
File size
924.97 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PXL_20220601_013439944~2.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220601_013439944~2.jpg
File size
952.37 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
PXL_20220601_013455956~2.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220601_013455956~2.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 44893 of 52721, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I most likely will not even use any of the HDDs as I much prefer solid state media.

Will be interesting to see what is on them.

I'm partially reassembling the system now for testing after having completely taken it apart to clean the layer of dust off as well as wire brush and then clear coat the areas that had rust.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 44895 of 52721, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-01, 04:24:

How bad is Nanya ram ?

I somehow have a few SDR modules .. if its shit ram Ill just toss it out.

It should be fine. Was really common back in the day and if I remember right, it was decently overclockable.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 44896 of 52721, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How bad is Nanya ram ?

It's not just shit or at least none of the Nanya modules I used were 'shit'.
The only crappy modules I ever used were some DDR1 Elpida [see edit below] modules? These didn't work properly after they heated up. Replacing them with DDR1 modules of the same spec of Corsair (iirc) without changing anything else of the system whatsoever completely fixed the issue with those Elpida modules (switched them at the store I had originally purchased them).
After a while I noticed the system would recognize only part of the modules (like 512MB instead of 2GB or something like that, viewed from Windows properties, the rightclick thingy iirc) and this would go smaller till the system crashed. The modules would feel very hot. I don't remember having ever experienced or even heard of this particularly opdd way of memory erroring out on someone but at the time I had little experience with hardware.

I would define such modules as 'crap' 😋

EDIT: I remember the modules probably did not have Elpida chips but had Elixir (something) chips. But my memory is vague on this.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2022-06-01, 07:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44897 of 52721, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2022-05-31, 23:27:

So I now own $18 worth of gold. And it’s at 60MHz. FD09D0F5-2A71-441C-805E-46504D1AFADE.jpeg
Question is, how do I get this heat sink off without also losing the text on top?

Personally I would probably just leave the heatsink on if it worked properly as-is.
s4 heatsinks aren't easy to come by.

Report spammers here!

Reply 44898 of 52721, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-01, 06:12:
It's not just shit or at least none of the Nanya modules I used were 'shit'. The only crappy modules I ever used were some DDR1 […]
Show full quote

How bad is Nanya ram ?

The only crappy modules I ever used were some DDR1 Elpida modules? These didn't work properly after they heated up. Replacing them with DDR1 modules of the same spec of Corsair (iirc) without changing anything else of the system whatsoever completely fixed the issue with those Elpida modules (switched them at the store I had originally purchased them).
After a while I noticed the system would recognize only part of the modules (like 512MB instead of 2GB or something like that, viewed from Windows properties, the rightclick thingy iirc) and this would go smaller till the system crashed. The modules would feel very hot. I don't remember having ever experienced or even heard of this particularly opdd way of memory erroring out on someone but at the time I had little experience with hardware.

Cool, in the spares bin it goes.

Reply 44899 of 52721, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-01, 06:15:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-01, 06:12:
It's not just shit or at least none of the Nanya modules I used were 'shit'. The only crappy modules I ever used were some DDR1 […]
Show full quote

How bad is Nanya ram ?

The only crappy modules I ever used were some DDR1 Elpida modules? These didn't work properly after they heated up. Replacing them with DDR1 modules of the same spec of Corsair (iirc) without changing anything else of the system whatsoever completely fixed the issue with those Elpida modules (switched them at the store I had originally purchased them).

Cool, in the spares bin it goes.

What kinds of Nanya modules are these btw? We talking about 512MB PC-133 cl2 or something? 😜
For me I'd say if a module works on stock settings, it's good enough for me 😋

Report spammers here!