VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 44940 of 52357, by maikolator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, first time posting. I came across this ALR upgrade kit for Prolinea machines. It even comes with instructions on a VHS tape!
I got blasted for posting these photos elsewhere on Vogons so this might be a more appropriate place but here it is anyway.

Now time to try and find a Prolinea machine to have an excuse to use this. And I need to find a VHS player too!

1.jpeg
Filename
1.jpeg
File size
292.6 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
2.jpeg
Filename
2.jpeg
File size
254.96 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
3.jpeg
Filename
3.jpeg
File size
234.07 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
4.jpeg
Filename
4.jpeg
File size
265.77 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
5.jpeg
Filename
5.jpeg
File size
134.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 44941 of 52357, by chrismes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ChrisK wrote on 2022-06-03, 06:09:

Yes I can remember this little deathbringing noise, too. "pfffff" just one nanosecond after power on and that's it. You can't do nothing against. When you hear it it's already too late.

Oh come on, no need to remind people of that sound. I had forgotten all about it. I killed one of the early Durons when they came out, so the loss wasn't that bad. The heat sink was touching the raised part of the socket and didn't make proper contact with the die. Still quite a shock.

Reply 44942 of 52357, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maikolator wrote on 2022-06-03, 06:29:
Hello, first time posting. I came across this ALR upgrade kit for Prolinea machines. It even comes with instructions on a VHS ta […]
Show full quote

Hello, first time posting. I came across this ALR upgrade kit for Prolinea machines. It even comes with instructions on a VHS tape!
I got blasted for posting these photos elsewhere on Vogons so this might be a more appropriate place but here it is anyway.

Now time to try and find a Prolinea machine to have an excuse to use this. And I need to find a VHS player too!

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

Feel free to indulge us with some pics from the insides 🙂
And welcome aboard! 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44943 of 52357, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismes wrote on 2022-06-03, 06:58:
ChrisK wrote on 2022-06-03, 06:09:

Yes I can remember this little deathbringing noise, too. "pfffff" just one nanosecond after power on and that's it. You can't do nothing against. When you hear it it's already too late.

Oh come on, no need to remind people of that sound. I had forgotten all about it. I killed one of the early Durons when they came out, so the loss wasn't that bad. The heat sink was touching the raised part of the socket and didn't make proper contact with the die. Still quite a shock.

Sorry to bother you, but I had another incident with an already dead on arrival K6-2 on my So7 system:
After powering on (didn't know it was dead at this point) only some strange sound came from the switching regulator. After maybe two or three seconds the smell of death joined the party and I immediately switched everything off.
It turned out the smell was old flux going to work when the Power FET of the regulator began reflowing after beeing heated up by some kAmps flowing through its veins. Man, I can tell you. Thought I fu... up this board...
Ordered a replacement FET in an instant wondering how in the world I could ever replace a soldered down TO220 without damaging the rest of the board.
Luckily, after cooling down (and replacing the CPU) the board started up just like every day smiling at me and saying: THAT was ass dump, but let's have a happy day.

Ever since when testing an unknown CPU I always measure continuity from Vcore to Gnd first before powering anything on.
These are the most freaking moments in this hobby IMHO.

Reply 44944 of 52357, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-06-03, 04:18:
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-06-03, 02:45:

Ah, thank you Mr Gold Recycler, I hope those precious gold fingers and gold plated jumper pins bring you all the riches you desire

Well I guess you can salvage the chips at least.

they even stole the OPL though 🙁

at least the butchered one I got was only missing the chips and could be revived.

Reply 44945 of 52357, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just received some Wavetable Devil Adapters from Ulfenknulfen!

ObcrlVK.jpg

jDzvBcR.jpg

excellent build quality and super-handy! now swapping wt boards per use case is an easy thing 😀
and the built-in mccake support is perfect, I will dedicate one drawer to it

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 44946 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are those slide in 3.5" hdd caddies? With anwavetable header extender in them? Why so many passives on that board? What are the dipswitches for?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 44947 of 52357, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah these are hdd caddies that are now repurposed for wavetable boards
there is a cable, instead of going to HDD controller it goes to your wavetable header on the soundcard
passives are for power delivery since you can chose the between wavetable or 4pin molex and switches are for volume attenuation in case it is needed
there is even a fan header with speed adjustment and the option to swap L/R via jumpers

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 44948 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow pretty cool project that went completely under my radar.. I have a Chill III adapter that makes it easy to record from multiple WT boards so I doubt I'd buy one, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 44949 of 52357, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-06-03, 02:45:

Ah, thank you Mr Gold Recycler, I hope those precious gold fingers and gold plated jumper pins bring you all the riches you desire

That is just sad.

Reply 44950 of 52357, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

finally got my hands on a GF4 Ti 4200; probably about as far as I'll really be able to (financially) get or care to get with my 98/dos machine. If it doesnt work, the MX 460 goes right back in but I'd like to install the few DX8 games I have that run on 98 on the machine opposed to skipping all the way to XP

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 44951 of 52357, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a few 775s for the collection from a junkyard salesman and there was a little surprise disguising itself as a regular Pentium D.
I'm lucky Intel didn't stamp "Extreme" on every EE CPU or this would've been expensive.
Beyond happy!

Attachments

• 1654278935425.jpg
    Filename
    1654278935425.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 1654278899826.jpg
    Filename
    1654278899826.jpg
    File size
    909.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 44952 of 52357, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2022-06-03, 18:02:

Bought a few 775s for the collection from a junkyard salesman and there was a little surprise disguising itself as a regular Pentium D.
I'm lucky Intel didn't stamp "Extreme" on every EE CPU or this would've been expensive.
Beyond happy!

Nice find! Have you tested it yet?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 44953 of 52357, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-06-03, 22:39:

Beyond happy!

130W! For sure he has to do a "short" or face default because of electricity bill!

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 44954 of 52357, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beyond happy!

Are they really "a thing" already to be "expensive"? For me they are just obsolete largely uninteresting CPUs with no real application beside maybe some linux file servers (that's exactly what I'm using Q9550 for)... I'm pulling them from machines I'm scrapping at work all the time... 😮

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 44955 of 52357, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2022-06-03, 23:35:

Beyond happy!

Are they really "a thing" already to be "expensive"? For me they are just obsolete largely uninteresting CPUs with no real application beside maybe some linux file servers (that's exactly what I'm using Q9550 for)... I'm pulling them from machines I'm scrapping at work all the time... 😮

Some people pay good money for EE versions of anything, because they are the best chips in their families (in this case, the second best Presler Pentium, with 1066 bus)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 44957 of 52357, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2022-06-03, 23:35:

Beyond happy!

Are they really "a thing" already to be "expensive"? For me they are just obsolete largely uninteresting CPUs with no real application......

Didn't the world once hold that same sentiment, about most things which eventually became a rare or desirable antiquity, years or decades later? I think that people who are collecting P4 now, are doing so in the "down cycle", while they are indeed seen as cheap and not desirable. Which, in the longer term scheme of things (for traders and collectors), may not be the silliest strategy.

But personally! (on the other hand!) - P4s and similar generations aren't going to ever hold interest for me, because I don't have important personal nostalgia to them or the software they run, and never will. I didn't even bother to use them much when they were popular, so I'm certainly not going to yearn to do so later in life!

But I guess the point is, that those who were kids and teens growing up with P4s, will in time come to see them exactly as WE (the older generation) look at 486s - important personal nostalgia made rare by the attrition of decades.

Reply 44958 of 52357, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm happy to say I now own a Beige Beast that beats my LC II in raw performance despite being three years older.

1946005B-5DE5-4F5D-94E1-60AF3BE8511C.jpeg
Filename
1946005B-5DE5-4F5D-94E1-60AF3BE8511C.jpeg
File size
913.53 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 44959 of 52357, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-06-03, 22:39:

Yes, I tested it immediately with an Abit Fatality board. These e-waste 775s are usually a gamble because they are tossed around for a long time before I get to them but this was in good condition (no broken off caps). It works.