Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 45880 of 52340, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-08-08, 07:22:

OK, so is this something worth buying? I'm guessing it's an 8-bit monochrome video card for XT class PCs or something? I have neither any XTs nor monochrome monitors, but I'll grab it if it's valuable 🤣.

Looks kinda new, but interesting. Most chips have year 95 written on it. And do I see a s-video connector? Could it be a frame grabber / capture card instead?

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 45881 of 52340, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cosmic wrote on 2022-08-07, 01:26:
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-06, 21:16:

Added 12MB STB Black Magic 3D Voodoo2's and a couple of Intel NICs to the collection. I bought them because of the 12MB all being located on the front of the board

Nice cards! Is there any advantage to having the memory on only one side? I looked at the other thread and only noticed the memory is higher density.

I don't think there's any real advantage over having 24 memory chips except perhaps that if one of the chips is damaged and you want to replace it, it may be easier to find out which memory chip is the defective one since you have fewer chips to troubleshoot 😋

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 45882 of 52340, by chrismes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-08-08, 07:38:

I have heard of Easter eggs in some games if you hook up a secondary monochrome monitor. Got example, you get some kind of information readout in Mech Warrior 2.

The reason this works is because the memory area reserved for monochrome output is mapped separately from VGA, so you get kind of a primitive form of dual monitor support, but only for software that is written specifically to take advantage of it.

I think this only works if both graphics cards are either 8- or 16-bit cards, not mixed.

Reply 45883 of 52340, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got me one of these little beauties!

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
277.79 KiB
Views
File comment
Pentium II Overdrive
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Guy still has more than 10 of these NIB available, the price is rather high at 250 USD but its the lowest I've seen them before.

Should be fun to throw it in the NEC Coffee machine!

Reply 45884 of 52340, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a V20 and 8087 for the Tandy 1000A. Should be here in a day or two. At that point I think pretty much all the desktops are "maxxed out".

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 45885 of 52340, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I bought a USB audio card with speaker and mic output/input with trasparent blue plastic case and a generic "3D Sound" written on it, brand new. I wanted to see if these thing works in a modern config. Linux detect it as a Texas PCM2902 ID 08bb:2902 hardware while it doesn't have a real package chip inside but directly on the PCB with the epoxy resin on it.

What I don't understand of how it works is that I've read enough good words about this sound chip but the output quality is very strange more or less like the old cheap Sound Blaster compatible sound cards did with the usual old "3D" mixer option enabled and basically the voice (for example a youtube video) is really low while the background music is quite ok. I looked for any options in pulseaudio and alsamixer but no "3D" option to disable so I'm wondering what I can do. I should try it on a Win machine I don't have in this moment but I wonder if is really that chip inside or a sort of clone.
Edit: I've tried speakers instead of headphones and seems better while still lack much compared to a bad sound card anyway. It's not necessary a volume problem (which isn't of course much powerful) but sometimes close to a fake effect enabled.

Reply 45886 of 52340, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something else I bought today, my first actual ATX Super 7 board and one of the better ones a Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 5.2.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
452.79 KiB
Views
File comment
Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 5.2 - Seller Photo
File license
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (2).jpg
File size
378.82 KiB
Views
File comment
Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 5.2 - Seller Photo
File license

Seller was a great guy and we worked out a price we were both happy with for it, now I just have to decide which of my current Socket 7 builds will get retired to make room for this one.

Got a K6-III+ 550 for it which is technically one of the modded K6-2+ 570s that has been binned and tested for 630, havent decided the other details yet but I feel this board does need some quality parts to go with it.

Reply 45887 of 52340, by verysaving

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2022-08-08, 09:49:

OK, so is this something worth buying? I'm guessing it's an 8-bit monochrome video card for XT class PCs or something? I have neither any XTs nor monochrome monitors, but I'll grab it if it's valuable 🤣.

Looks kinda new, but interesting. Most chips have year 95 written on it. And do I see a s-video connector? Could it be a frame grabber / capture card instead?

Definitely!
LM1881 - video sync separator
bt218kp-20 - 8-bit Flash Video A/D Converter

Last edited by verysaving on 2022-08-09, 00:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 45888 of 52340, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://digital-vision-inc.com/productCEIBM.htm

Then came ComputerEyes/RT (for Real Time), our first true frame grabber. It captured images in 1/30 second into its own on-board memory. No more need to point the camera at a stationary object or pause the VCR!

http://digital-vision-inc.com/contact.htm (Maybe you can get drivers) :

Digital Vision was founded in 1984 by Dave Pratt, the guy who's (at long last) putting this website together. Got anything to contribute? Comments? Bug reports? Need ComputerEyes tech support? Contact dave@dvpratt.com.

EDIT : Drivers and/or software seem to be here :

https://archive.org/details/CINEMKER_ZIP

Reply 45889 of 52340, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bearking wrote on 2022-08-07, 12:40:

Also bought a 12 Mb Voodoo2, PowerColor branded for 33 usd/eur this week. The card is missing it's bracket, but it's working!

Can you just buy a bracket, 3d print one, or just buy a blank bracket and dremel it out? What do people usually do?

Reply 45890 of 52340, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I source my first CRT in over a decade .

It is NTSC and it is definitely no PVM, but based on some brief tests the internal DVD player looks like it is hooked up through either component or S-VIDEO (or maybe even RGB, if I am extremely lucky) as I see no composite artifacts (no dot crawl, or moiré), so I will likely be able to tap into that internal connection.

Anybody know where I can get more info about this thing's guts before I crack it open ?

front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
remote.jpg
Filename
remote.jpg
File size
131.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 45891 of 52340, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smtkr wrote on 2022-08-09, 03:29:

Also bought a 12 Mb Voodoo2, PowerColor branded for 33 usd/eur this week. The card is missing it's bracket, but it's working!

Can you just buy a bracket, 3d print one, or just buy a blank bracket and dremel it out? What do people usually do?

For me it's not really a problem, I have a dead v2 so I can use that bracket.

Reply 45892 of 52340, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You just keep the brackets from the borken Voodoo 2s that were beyond fixing, like I do 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 45893 of 52340, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-08-08, 14:08:
Cosmic wrote on 2022-08-07, 01:26:
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-06, 21:16:

Added 12MB STB Black Magic 3D Voodoo2's and a couple of Intel NICs to the collection. I bought them because of the 12MB all being located on the front of the board

Nice cards! Is there any advantage to having the memory on only one side? I looked at the other thread and only noticed the memory is higher density.

I don't think there's any real advantage over having 24 memory chips except perhaps that if one of the chips is damaged and you want to replace it, it may be easier to find out which memory chip is the defective one since you have fewer chips to troubleshoot 😋

One point can be that the PCB bends over time since there's no "balance" between components on front and back side.
Doesn't look that bad on the photo but when not mounted the right one is quite curved.
Both cards are 12MB btw.

Attachments

• V2_bend.jpg
    Filename
    V2_bend.jpg
    File size
    650.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 45894 of 52340, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not the very best solution in terms of sturdiness but kind of works for me.
Never understood what motivates people to remove slotbrackets from old (working) cards. I mean, are they of some kind of valuable material? It's just some cheap sheet metal, isn't it?

Attachments

• Slotbracket.jpg
    Filename
    Slotbracket.jpg
    File size
    1.51 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 45895 of 52340, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote on 2022-08-08, 15:03:

(...) At that point I think pretty much all the desktops are "maxxed out".

But you can install something like Intel Inboard/386 in the T1000A you know... ;D

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 45896 of 52340, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisK wrote on 2022-08-09, 07:24:

Never understood what motivates people to remove slotbrackets from old (working) cards. I mean, are they of some kind of valuable material? It's just some cheap sheet metal, isn't it?

Maybe stripped of before recycling or sale to a scrap yard? Who know...

Reply 45897 of 52340, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SrFenix wrote on 2022-08-07, 21:32:

why are you always so unpleasant, and always underestimating, this is shit, that is worth nothing, I don't understand your way of seeing things.

How so, everyone tell me, that i am the most polite and kind person. You are terribly wrong..

Meatball wrote on 2022-08-07, 23:09:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-07, 23:00:
SrFenix wrote on 2022-08-07, 21:32:

why are you always so unpleasant, and always underestimating, this is shit, that is worth nothing, I don't understand your way of seeing things.

You get used to ignoring their posts, I have them on ignore because I just dont like their attitude or conduct, so rather than complain about it or respond I just hit the mute option and move on, always remember people are free to have their own opinions and we are free to ignore said opinions.

Thsi is not intended as a hate post or anything of the sort, just some simple advice.

What I want to know is how does Radical Vision get Voodoo 6000's for a nickel + "shitting?" I know he's done it, but hasn't let us know as of yet, haha...

Well so far i dont have one, but Voodoo V 5.5K is good enough for me too... Last Voodoo V 6K was sold on closed auction for 3000$ (and that was back in 2019), that is what i had heard... Anyway i am not excited to own shitty engineering samples that may die, these stuff are hard core collector`s stuff, everyone that collect stuff like that dont use them, and this type of parts charge dumb premium price tag as well, so no point... But i will be happy to own Intel larabee GPU for example... But the rest i dont care really. Some ppl want 3Dfx Spectre (Rampage), i dont, the card is totally not usable...

darry wrote on 2022-08-09, 04:12:
I source my first CRT in over a decade . […]
Show full quote

It is NTSC and it is definitely no PVM, but based on some brief tests the internal DVD player looks like it is hooked up through either component or S-VIDEO (or maybe even RGB, if I am extremely lucky) as I see no composite artifacts (no dot crawl, or moiré), so I will likely be able to tap into that internal connection.

Anybody know where I can get more info about this thing's guts before I crack it open ?

front.jpg
back.jpg
remote.jpg

Lol wtf is this, is like the Hot Wheels PC...
This mobo will fit very nice, with that monitor and remote 🤣... Only to add pink GPU, RAM, Case and couple more stuff...

Aopen AX3S Pro (Sweet Kiss).jpg
Filename
Aopen AX3S Pro (Sweet Kiss).jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Ydee wrote on 2022-08-09, 12:12:
ChrisK wrote on 2022-08-09, 07:24:

Maybe stripped of before recycling or sale to a scrap yard? Who know...

That is the reason. Usually the cards from scrap are with removed I/O brackets... The baboon scrappers dont need these brackets, so they remove them, before destroying something, that is usually more valuable then their miserable lifes..

Last edited by Radical Vision on 2022-08-09, 15:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 45898 of 52340, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2022-08-09, 09:05:
creepingnet wrote on 2022-08-08, 15:03:

(...) At that point I think pretty much all the desktops are "maxxed out".

But you can install something like Intel Inboard/386 in the T1000A you know... ;D

Yeah. But I'm more interested in just keeping them in that class. The Tandy 1000 is my top choice for 8088-era stuff. Plus I have a very nice, BlueLightning BLX4 equipped Compaq Deskpro 386s/20 with a 387 SX co-processor for all the 386-era stuff, so it'd just be an overlap.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 45899 of 52340, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-08-09, 04:12:
I source my first CRT in over a decade . […]
Show full quote

front.jpg
back.jpg
remote.jpg

Ooh! Pink! That would go nicely with my pink case (not modern, but not old enough to be retro) 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.