VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 46260 of 52769, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the Kapok model number, I have a few reasons to suspect it's done by the same company that was behind some of the Gericom laptops. The fact that I found a Gericom of the same model and it strikingly resembles the Kapok, that is more than just a coincidence.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 46261 of 52769, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2022-09-07, 23:29:

Looking at how you guys received smashed boxes, I fear for how will my ASUS F8S laptop arrive (technically today since it's already 2AM here). Here's hopes it will be intact.

Then maybe, a word of advice, ppl just to speak with the seller, and tell them exactly how to pack/ box, and prepare for the shipping, what will be shipped. And ofc disclosure from u as buyer, if the primate seller, promice to pack properly the stuff, and when they arrive are with shitty packaging, well then u tell him before that, there will be negative feedback, and he will lose money, as buyer wont pay for shipping back... If is me, i will be pissed, that i did pay shipping for nothing...

That way i think these cases of idiots box stuff, not the proper way, and destroying them will be reduced alot...
Just my 1.5 cents here...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 46262 of 52769, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-09-08, 10:00:
Then maybe, a word of advice, ppl just to speak with the seller, and tell them exactly how to pack/ box, and prepare for the shi […]
Show full quote

Looking at how you guys received smashed boxes, I fear for how will my ASUS F8S laptop arrive (technically today since it's already 2AM here). Here's hopes it will be intact.

Then maybe, a word of advice, ppl just to speak with the seller, and tell them exactly how to pack/ box, and prepare for the shipping, what will be shipped. And ofc disclosure from u as buyer, if the primate seller, promice to pack properly the stuff, and when they arrive are with shitty packaging, well then u tell him before that, there will be negative feedback, and he will lose money, as buyer wont pay for shipping back... If is me, i will be pissed, that i did pay shipping for nothing...

That way i think these cases of idiots box stuff, not the proper way, and destroying them will be reduced alot...

And it still happens 😀
You really hope for divine retribution at this point.
I should start a thread "shipping gone wrong".

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 46263 of 52769, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Completely offtopic, here's what happened to me recently. I bought a PS3 game (I know, it's not hardware, but the idea is the same). Before buying the game I asked the seller if he can pack it well, bubble wrap, sturdy box, bla bla bla. He said yes. I sent him the address and repeated my request to pack it well, because it's fragile. He said AGAIN ok. Guess what, he sent it just wrapped in a single piece of simple paper. When I asked him why he did that, after he said that he will pack it well, the answer shocked me. He said: he got to you, didn't it? Why should I bother with packaging.

Funny part is that the game arrived ok (expect that it wasn't what I expected, but that's another problem). I guess that if it was broken, the answer would have been: it's not my fault that it got damaged (or something like that). Some people are just scumbags...

Reply 46264 of 52769, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

got this "precious" today - rubbing hands in gollum style 😉
I'll use this one (AMD K6-2+/500ACZ) to build the authentic 1999 PC with my Voodoo 3 3000 ...
... all I need now is a matching SuperSocket 7 mainboard, but I am not in a hurry 😀

IMG_20220908_140452 (SVGA).jpg
Filename
IMG_20220908_140452 (SVGA).jpg
File size
156.84 KiB
Views
File comment
CPU - AMD K6-2+/500ACZ
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

PS: back in the days I had a K6-III+/550 but that is lost in the vortex of time ...

Last edited by ildonaldo on 2022-09-08, 13:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 46265 of 52769, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2022-09-08, 11:08:
And it still happens :) You really hope for divine retribution at this point. I should start a thread "shipping gone wrong". […]
Show full quote
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-09-08, 10:00:
Then maybe, a word of advice, ppl just to speak with the seller, and tell them exactly how to pack/ box, and prepare for the shi […]
Show full quote

And it still happens 😀
You really hope for divine retribution at this point.
I should start a thread "shipping gone wrong".

U are not wrong with such a name, for a topic, it can even be like series... And to see, who will win the first place at being careless, or dumb with worst shipping material....

RaverX wrote on 2022-09-08, 11:32:

Completely offtopic, here's what happened to me recently. I bought a PS3 game (I know, it's not hardware, but the idea is the same). Before buying the game I asked the seller if he can pack it well, bubble wrap, sturdy box, bla bla bla. He said yes. I sent him the address and repeated my request to pack it well, because it's fragile. He said AGAIN ok. Guess what, he sent it just wrapped in a single piece of simple paper. When I asked him why he did that, after he said that he will pack it well, the answer shocked me. He said: he got to you, didn't it? Why should I bother with packaging.

Funny part is that the game arrived ok (expect that it wasn't what I expected, but that's another problem). I guess that if it was broken, the answer would have been: it's not my fault that it got damaged (or something like that). Some people are just scumbags...

Scumbags and morons.. But when they are so arrogant, the proper answear from me will be "good for ur sake, that the thing did arrive in one piece, otherwise negative feedback + u will return the fucking shipping money to me as well 😉 " ....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 46266 of 52769, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man... (Gritting teeth...)

Serenity now! Serenity now!

Reply 46267 of 52769, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The truth of the matter is that some people simply dont care, they got paid and they are willing to run the chance that the item will get to you unscathed, so they go cheap on the packaging.

95% of the time it pays off and so they keep doing it because that last 5% either get refunded or simply dont care enough to complain about it.

Reply 46268 of 52769, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received a mystery computer (poor seller description) from ebay... The photos indicated a Pc chips M915i mobo, and not much else of interest (visible).
@ 80€ plus shipping from Italy, this was a bit of a gamble.

pcchips01.jpg
Filename
pcchips01.jpg
File size
120.93 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
pcchips03.jpg
Filename
pcchips03.jpg
File size
253.73 KiB
Views
File license

[sellers photos]

The package was as bad as it can get, only a cardboard box (no padding or filling material) , luckily the only damage was the hdd/floppy caddy bent.

The motherboard is as expected, an PcChips M915i:

M915i.jpg
Filename
M915i.jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license

The cool aspect to it is that no chips are soldered in the cache area, so no fake chips for me.... thank you very much ....

I really cant understand why the MB was configured to P24D, having a AMD dx4 in it..... Also some jumpers where missing.

The odd thing is that the MB has only IDE onboard. Also with this machine came a multi IO controller, a sound card and a PCI video card. All in working order. Sadly no cpu cooler (those are becoming scarce).

S3 Virge DX.jpg
Filename
S3 Virge DX.jpg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license
Reveal K2Y-Pro16.jpg
Filename
Reveal K2Y-Pro16.jpg
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license

Also the case needs some tlc and elbow grease.

Reply 46269 of 52769, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xicor wrote on 2022-09-08, 13:29:

Just received a mystery computer (poor seller description) from ebay... The photos indicated a Pc chips M915i mobo, and not much else of interest (visible).

I recognize that background in the photo. It's one of worst italian sellers on ebay. He cheats with misleading titles to grab clicks and potential buyers. I even reported this behaviour to ebay staff.

Reply 46270 of 52769, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrfusion92 wrote on 2022-09-08, 16:23:
Xicor wrote on 2022-09-08, 13:29:

I recognize that background in the photo. It's one of worst italian sellers on ebay. He cheats with misleading titles to grab clicks and potential buyers. I even reported this behaviour to ebay staff.

And they didn't give a shyte about it.
The usual.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 46271 of 52769, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got these today: Packed very well, indeed.

Attachments

Reply 46272 of 52769, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't know how, but I managed to collect these CPUs 😀

Celeron 333 arrived today (5x66, 128KB cache, SL2WN, Mendocino A0). It has custom added cooler, don't know if it needs fan at all.
Celeron 433 came with Asus P2B motherboard (66x6.5, 128KB cache, SL3BS, Mendocino B0)
Celeron 900 was bought for it but none of my Slotkeys supported P2B (100x9, 128KB cache, SL5LX, Coppermine-128 D0)

Pentium II 400 was given for free (100x4, 512KB cache, SL2YM, Deschutes B1). To me it's most "canonical" looking P2 and I like it the most.
Pentium III 500 was bought to be a replacement for PII/PIII build (100x5, 512KB cache, SL35E, Katmai) - no cooler, just heatsink
Pentium III 733 was bought when I decided to split P2 and P3 builds (133x5.5, 256KB cache, SL45Z, Coppermine-256)

Just curious, how many variants of heatsinks and fans did intel use on their CPUs. Sometimes it's just heatsink, sometimes quite powerful fan. The shape, the color is different.

Attachments

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 46273 of 52769, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Duplicated post

Last edited by rkurbatov on 2022-09-08, 20:49. Edited 1 time in total.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 46274 of 52769, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rkurbatov wrote on 2022-09-08, 18:40:

Celeron 333 arrived today (5x66, 128KB cache, SL2WN, Mendocino A0). It has custom added cooler, don't know if it needs fan at all.

It does 😀

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 46275 of 52769, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-09-08, 19:06:

It does 😀

And what if I use ATX fan instead? It wasn't pointing down at times of this CPU but now it does, providing additional airflow. Because I see that this fan was attached and nothing was planned by intel except for heatsink. And I'm not going to overclock.

Reply 46276 of 52769, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spent another not inconsiderable sum on a Model M even though I already have one. Some covet the IBM logo, but there's something more I've sought: the Made in Greenock label. Centuries of shipbuilding eclipses 30 years of Silicon Glen in local history, to my chagrin. My dad contends 'Assembled in United Kingdom' is more accurate as the keyboards were made elsewhere and merely bolted together in the EEC to get around import restrictions. Let me have this.

Attachments

• WP_20220908_001a.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20220908_001a.jpg
    File size
    159.58 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    It's built like a battleship. Does that count?
    File license
    Public domain

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 46277 of 52769, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just curious, how many variants of heatsinks and fans did intel use on their CPUs. Sometimes it's just heatsink, sometimes quite powerful fan. The shape, the color is different.

I believe the ones that don't have the typical intel fan+heatsink are just custom heatsinks from computer manufacturers, like IBM or Compaq. Or aftermarket ones installed by end users, in case they are from Cooler Master or similar brands.

Reply 46278 of 52769, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The one top right is the only Intel heatsink/fan. Every slot 1 with Intel heatsink/fan uses the same type. All others are third party/OEM.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 46279 of 52769, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rkurbatov wrote on 2022-09-08, 20:51:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-09-08, 19:06:

It does 😀

And what if I use ATX fan instead? It wasn't pointing down at times of this CPU but now it does, providing additional airflow. Because I see that this fan was attached and nothing was planned by intel except for heatsink. And I'm not going to overclock.

Well, if general good circulation is present around the cooling profile, it may be sufficient. To be honest, I've yet to run a Celeron without overclocking it 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀