Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 47060 of 52803, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2022-11-17, 02:13:
Finally got myself a Socket 5 System. IMG_0795.jpg Yes, a Socket 5 Mac Clone. IMG_0796.jpg IMG_0797.jpg […]
Show full quote

Finally got myself a Socket 5 System.
IMG_0795.jpg
Yes, a Socket 5 Mac Clone.
IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg

That's a cool clone!
What will you use it for?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 47061 of 52803, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Babasha wrote on 2022-11-17, 08:29:
Nice board! I upgrade my D990 with: COAST, wavetable, Matrox memory module. There high compatibility with NCR 53C810 SCSI card […]
Show full quote
Socket3 wrote on 2022-11-16, 21:48:
Fujitsu Siemens S26361-D990-A11 ATX socket 7 mainboard. I'll hold on to this, see if she runs, maybe I can find the OEM case it […]
Show full quote

Fujitsu Siemens S26361-D990-A11 ATX socket 7 mainboard. I'll hold on to this, see if she runs, maybe I can find the OEM case it goes into at one point. On board Matrox mystique graphics and Crystal 4238 audio codec - this thing must have been really high end back in the day. No COAST module and seems like the board doesn't come with any L2 cache, but maybe it can take a generic COAST module. At first glance it seems like the BIOS chip is missing but that's actually a socket for some sort of wavetable... found a video about this exact board and wavetable on youtube.
NwEPtUih.jpg

Nice board!
I upgrade my D990 with: COAST, wavetable, Matrox memory module.
There high compatibility with NCR 53C810 SCSI cards (SCSI BIOS support in main BIOS and LED indication on mono)

Do you have a picture of the original case? It would make it easier to look for one. I did google "Fujitsu siemens socket 7" but most results are from the desktop scenic line...

Reply 47062 of 52803, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2022-11-17, 12:18:
Babasha wrote on 2022-11-17, 08:29:
Nice board! I upgrade my D990 with: COAST, wavetable, Matrox memory module. There high compatibility with NCR 53C810 SCSI card […]
Show full quote
Socket3 wrote on 2022-11-16, 21:48:
Fujitsu Siemens S26361-D990-A11 ATX socket 7 mainboard. I'll hold on to this, see if she runs, maybe I can find the OEM case it […]
Show full quote

Fujitsu Siemens S26361-D990-A11 ATX socket 7 mainboard. I'll hold on to this, see if she runs, maybe I can find the OEM case it goes into at one point. On board Matrox mystique graphics and Crystal 4238 audio codec - this thing must have been really high end back in the day. No COAST module and seems like the board doesn't come with any L2 cache, but maybe it can take a generic COAST module. At first glance it seems like the BIOS chip is missing but that's actually a socket for some sort of wavetable... found a video about this exact board and wavetable on youtube.
NwEPtUih.jpg

Nice board!
I upgrade my D990 with: COAST, wavetable, Matrox memory module.
There high compatibility with NCR 53C810 SCSI cards (SCSI BIOS support in main BIOS and LED indication on mono)

Do you have a picture of the original case? It would make it easier to look for one. I did google "Fujitsu siemens socket 7" but most results are from the desktop scenic line...

That motherboards are sold as consumer product without specific case(s). So I just find Siemens case for universal ATX boards (Siemens Scenic xB series).

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 47063 of 52803, by Baleog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday i picked up a couple of items from a music store chain for a decent price. The SC-55 has ROM-version V1.21 which supposedly is good for gaming. I already have one with version 1.1 so it's going to be fun to compare them. The sound brush was what i honestly was more interested in. When the guy that sold them saw that the buttons was a little messed up he gave me a really good deal. I have already sourced new buttons so hopefully it's just a matter of soldering the new ones in. It may be hard to see on the pictures but the SC-55 and Sound brush are rack mounted on a frame which is perfect for my needs.

SC55_motu.JPG
Filename
SC55_motu.JPG
File size
180.33 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Regarding the Midi interfaces the Opcode is my old one and unfortunately has some problems. Im guessing it's some kind of ram problem because it plays tracks but with random notes/timings and i just get gibberish when reading settings from the unit. But for now im replacing it with the MOTU. I somewhat overpayed for it since it's the old version with a parallell port but it feels like a solid unit.

I also bought a Rascsi from oldcomp.eu in Czechia. The plan is to use it with the scsi card "Tribble" in my IBM Model 80. I predict it wont be easy but you never know.

rascsi.JPG
Filename
rascsi.JPG
File size
87.42 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Mixed PCs - Midi racks - Micros and more

Reply 47064 of 52803, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote on 2022-11-17, 10:39:
BetaC wrote on 2022-11-17, 02:13:
Finally got myself a Socket 5 System. IMG_0795.jpg Yes, a Socket 5 Mac Clone. IMG_0796.jpg IMG_0797.jpg […]
Show full quote

Finally got myself a Socket 5 System.
IMG_0795.jpg
Yes, a Socket 5 Mac Clone.
IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg

That's a cool clone!
What will you use it for?

Probably as a transition machine if I can get an Ethernet commport II card. It talks IDE, SCI and Floppy, with options for USB and FireWire as they can get OS8 officially.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 47065 of 52803, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought a couple days ago, received yesterday: an EVGA e-GeForce FX 5200 (LE) PCI. Maybe. The listing said it was a GeForce MX 4000, with a 64-bit bus. The former was a lie, the latter is to be confirmed as the system it goes to is stored away at the moment. So in that sense I scammed myself by not looking at the images and seeing it was indeed probably the worst FX 5200 of all time, but for its intended use (accelerating my Pentium II 350 past what the 3D Rage Pro can do) it should be okay. Bonus use: I can use it to stress test Fedora, whose minimum requirements still say all it needs is any NV30 card at all for GUI hardware acceleration. I'd need a Tyan dual-S940 board for that, though, so I can combine it with the dual 2GHz amd64 CPUs it wants.

IMG_20221118_194718.jpg

IMG_20221118_194740.jpg

Reply 47067 of 52803, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this early socket 478 Syntax SVX400 rev 1.0 motherboard. I don't think it is a common board, due to search results on the internet. Should be interesting to see how it works with Windows 98 (If I find the drivers)

Attachments

• IMG_20221119_125018.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20221119_125018.jpg
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 47068 of 52803, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just bought a 1U dual s370 2x PIII 1ghz server (Tualatin ?)
For 36€ incl. Shipping. (15+ kg).
HP Netserver LP 1000r.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDispl … mr_na-c00058236

Not sure what to do with it.
I hope to be able to put the MB in a standard ATX case.
It comes with only 1 Pci-x slot. so I will probably need a PCI splitter to have at least 2 PCI slots.
By the way. Any thoughts on how these splitters works ? Is there a bridge chip? Or just passively splitting PCI lines ?

Otherwise, it comes with a rage XL integrated chip 😕.

tr-dlsr.jpg
Filename
tr-dlsr.jpg
File size
403.75 KiB
Views
File comment
Not mine. taken from internet
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If I can't, I will just leave it in it's 1U rackable case.

I also found a PCI Quadro NVS280 (~Fx 5200) for 12€. Maybe to use it with the server.

Edit : maybe solder PCI connectors ? As they seem connected. But just not populated because of the 1U form factor...

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 47070 of 52803, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a soft spot in my heart for those dual Tualatin boards. If you can find the correct riser card, I'd stick with that.

I'd be interested to see how adding pci slots back to the board would turn out.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 47071 of 52803, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I hope it will fit.
But even if it doesn't, no regrets.
It was super cheap. I already bought from the seller and he is super serious about packaging.

Three or four time a year, the marketplaces (Leboncoin, french equiv. of craigslist) offers shipping for 99 cents regardless of the item (up to 30kg). So it convinced me to give it a try.

Reply 47073 of 52803, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got an XFX 7950GT PCIE for USD 10. I am starting to like the Geforce 7 series a lot: reasonable performance, one slot cooler, not very noisy.

The card works quite well, 45K points in 3d mark 01 and 23.000 points in 3d mark 03.

Reply 47075 of 52803, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2022-11-21, 20:37:

ymf 744b

I would love to try one of these.
They seems to be perfect for a late dos + windows build.
With good MIDI, good DOS support and A3D in Windows with Sensaura.

I was really close to buy a 724 last week, but the seller refused to ship it and wanted me to pick it at his place... Several hundreds kms away... Nope.
I bought a Vortex card instead, but will not use it in DOS.

Reply 47076 of 52803, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a nice lot of old stuff for $50.00 (and probably that much on gas) a little over a week ago and I'll be posting as time permits. He had a garage full of stuff that he's getting rid of because he's having to move. Much of it was quite old (ISA video cards, VLB video cards etc.) and I thought this would be my chance to build a 486 for cheap, but the 486 and Socket 5 motherboards all had the chips clipped off of them. I did get some motherboards, a couple of video cards, and some CPUs. The motherboards weren't stored well because they were considered scrap, and the same with the CPUs as they were going to be sold for gold value, so many bent pins.

This board booted up to a boot block BIOS screen (which made me happy because I knew it wasn't dead), so I pulled the chip and programmed it with my TL866 and it has worked fine since. It's aTyan S1854 and I tested it with a Coppermine 1000 (I got two of these and after straightening the pins both worked) and a Slot 1 Celeron 300 I have that I had never bothered to test before.

Attachments

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2022-11-22, 00:10. Edited 1 time in total.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 47077 of 52803, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CPUs and a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI. So far both Coppermine 1000s work, the 933 had a pin break off when I was straightening it, one of the Athlon XP 2400s was dead, one worked, and the Voodoo works fine. I don't know when I'll be able to test the Tualatin 1266 CPUs since I don't have a board that works with Tualatins.

Attachments

Reply 47078 of 52803, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The other Socket 370 board in the lot is a Soyo SY-7VMA-B. It has some bad caps, but it POSTed! New caps are on order.

Attachments

Reply 47079 of 52803, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This must have been a real bargain basement machine. This is one of the lightest, cheapest cases I've ever seen. It had an ECS P4VXASD2+, a 1.7 GHz Celeron, it can take either DDR or SDR but the jumpers were set for SDR; the hard drive was long gone, but it was likely very low end and slow. The guy I bought it from said that he had intended to use it to build a modern machine in an old case, but he never got around to it. When I tested it out (I immediately replaced the Celeron with a 2.4 512/533 P4) I was surprised to find out that the similar PCChips 930LMR I have (SiS 645) was significantly faster in both hard drive speed as measured with ATTO, and memory bandwidth as measured with Sandra.

Due to the very thin steel, the case is nice and light! When I hit the eject button on the CDROM I noticed that it flexed, and I immediately knew that it only had screws on one side. So I decided to remove the right side panel to put screws in the other side, but only the left side panel is removable; you cannot put screws on the right hand side!

The left side panel is latched in place by rotating the large knob, I've never seen another case with this feature. The power supply was a Powerlink "300 watt" but the cheapest case ever got the cheapest power supply ever - it weighs just over a pound. Like the Celeron, I didn't bother and just replaced it with something much less bad.

Attachments

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2022-11-22, 01:01. Edited 1 time in total.